Creative Circle Freelance Graphic Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Creative Circle Freelance Graphic Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Creative Circle

2.0

Freelance Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Creative Circle.

Interview

I submitted my resume and was called by a Creative Circle recruiter to come in and talk/interview (they want to know you as a person before representing you). I got to their office, which was nice and comfortable and we sat in an office and talked about my work, my goals, my salary range for freelance jobs and what kind of work I was looking for. After this, I began getting emails about upcoming jobs and have worked quite a few jobs being represented by Creative Circle.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work are you looking for?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Creative Circle

Freelance Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Creative Circle in April 2015.

Interview

Creative Circle definitely has a unique process. I read a lot of reviews on here about how they work, and while most of them rated CC as absolutely terrible and recounted horror stories, I figured I'd find out for myself. I submitted myself to numerous open positions on their website and through email before I got an email from them stating that my work was great and in line with the kind of talent they represent.

From there, I set up to have an interview with one of the reps. But first, I was required to fill out a Candidate Profile, submit a list of references, and sign a contract—all before the interview. The Candidate Profile was a collection of basic info on salary/rate requirements, skillsets, software knowledge, education, experience, and work samples; nothing too hard to fill in. A minimum of three references were required, with at least two of them being supervisors. I had references, but I did not have current contact info for one of the supervisors, and that posed an issue because there was a note saying that no one could move forward in the process without ALL of their references being checked. I spoke with the CC receptionist, however, and she said it would be just fine to submit only one supervisor, as I was supplying a total of five references, and that was more than enough. I don't know that any of them were ever contacted, though, as none I listed have told me they were.

The contract gave me pause. I've never worked anywhere that required you to sign away rights or to an agreement before the actual interview, and the reviews about this particular part were a little scary. Basically, CC requires that you work with them to find work with any of their clients for a full year. So while they encourage you to continue freelancing on your own, if you come across a position that is with a company you know CC works with, then you have to apply through CC until that year is up. It also included the standard requirement that you receive permission from the client to include work you've done for them in your portfolio, along with additional clauses on benefits and termination rights. I didn't see much of an issue with either of these things in my personal situation, so I signed, even though I thought it was strange to require it upfront.

As I am not based in Chicago, the interview was over the phone. The rep was nice, if a little distracted while running through the gamut of Candidate Profile questions to confirm what I'd submitted. She also asked about what kinds of work I was looking for, in terms of style and work environment, so there was a little digging deeper than what others had reviewed about their CC interviews. Then she went through the legal ramifications of the agreement I had pre-signed. After that rundown, she asked me to walk her through my portfolio as she had my website pulled up. I'll admit that I'd never presented over the phone before, but it seemed to go smoothly. I could tell during the third (and final) project that she seemed to be wanting/needing to wrap up, so I cut it short there.

Once I was done, the rep quickly told me of a couple positions she would submit me for and how to get in touch with her, before ending the interview. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions about how representation worked, or anything at all. True to her word, though, less than a minute after it was over, she had emailed me her contact information. I assumed from that I was being picked up as talent, even though no one ever said anything along the lines of "we like your work and we'd like to represent you."

My rep got me an interview with one of the positions she'd said she'd submit me to about a week after the CC interview. While waiting to hear back from that position, I submitted myself to a few more CC positions and was contacted by another CC rep asking to submit me to one of her open positions (so CC rep rivalry doesn't seem to be an issue, at least not in the Chicago branch). After a week and a half, I was hired on by the CC client I'd interviewed with.

Overall, it was a pretty quick turn-around from getting picked up by CC to being hired by one of their clients.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's no negotiation phase. In the Candidate Profile, you submit your salary/rate requirements and when you're submitted to client positions, your rep secures pay within that range for you.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Creative Circle (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First of all communicative process with recruiter went very fast. I spent less than a week starting from a moment when they viewed my resume to the interview.
    Interview with recruiter was very short and simple in a friendly atmosphere. They told me about their policies of placing designers to different companies. Then recruiter asked me to sign Candidate Placement Agreement. After with we discussed my portfolio and I was told that I will be provided with freelance work at least once a week.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I had applied to a job ad online and was called the next day and given a phone interview on the spot. Was asked to come in to the office for an in-person interview. Was asked to fill out an online profile prior to the interview. When I got there, I was asked to fill out an I-9 form to prove my eligibility to work in the US and provide proper documentation. I had thought this was an interview about the job I had applied for (for which I was very excited), but it was not. It was just to gather my personal info and references for any possible future freelance postions. Spent $23 for parking downtown for a one hour interview for a "just-in-case" we find something you're a match for. Maybe something comes of this, But it looks doubtful. Seems just another glorified temp agency.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to sign somethong stating that I would use only Creative Circle for the period of one year.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Great office. The person who interviewed me asked what my goals were and what I was looking for in a role. I told her my dream job and my skills as well. They have really big clients and great career opportunities.

Interview Questions

• What do you like to do the most?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Irvine, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Simply a gathering of information; resume and portfolio review. A discussion about what type of job I was looking for and how Creative Circle can help. They were quick to check my references and set up an interview. They have sent me several interesting jobs since then. It has been a very good experience.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Boston, MA).

Interview

Had a one on one interview with a recruiter they were basically looking for what types of projects I was interested in working on. Was about 30 mins long and she said she'd write a profile on me and get back to me. Have not heard directly from her since but have got the generic emails from Creative Circle offering jobs which I apply for and have not heard back from any yet

Interview Questions

• What types of work are you looking for   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by email to set up an interview. Scheduled in person interview to review portfolio, salary requirements, etc. Interview was about a 30 minute review of my portfolio and skills. One position was mentioned, and was told my name would be submitted for that position. Notifications of other open positions would be sent by email.

I followed up a week later, and was shocked when I received a sharply worded email telling me to "check my email". I never received any notifications from Creative Circle about any open positions.

Interview Questions

• Present a portfolio of design work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Creative Circle (Kansas City, MO) in January 2019.

Interview

Simple comfortable one-on-one interview. We discussed my job history and what opportunities I would be interested in. They took copies of my identification and had me sign an agreement to be added into their system for representation.

Freelance Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Creative Circle.

Interview

You have an interview with a recruiter first.

And when you are interested in a position, and their client is willing to know more about you. You might have a phone/ in-person interview with the client.