Cree Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cree Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

3.4

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through my university. one month later,I got a email from them asking about my GPA, availability, authorization to work in U.S., and relocation. After I answered these questions, I got a long written questionnaire (23 behavioral questions)
    within the same day that I submitted the questionnaire, I got an invitation for a phone interview. It was not a pleasant interview experience. The engineer kept interrupting me while I was talking. It was hard to hear the interviewer through phone. The whole process last 40 mins.

Interview Questions

• how would water level change if a ice cube melts?   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cree (Research Triangle Park, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied on their website; still going through the process. Received an email asking 4 preliminary questions (when available, GPA, legal authorization to work in US, and willingness to relocate) about a month after I submitted my application. Got a follow-up email the next day with the written questionnaire (23 questions - mainly behavioral) that was due within 3 days. Submitted on day 3. Got a request for a short preliminary phone screen 2 weeks later (HR person told me hiring manager had been out of town). Phone call was ~15 min, where the HR person explained a bit about the company, asked what I knew about Cree, what type of position I'm looking for, and a couple more general questions. This was a few days ago.

At the end of the call, I was told the next step would be a technical phone interview with the hiring manager (~1 week after the initial phone screen). And now we wait.

EDIT: Had the technical phone interview, which lasted a little over an hour. It started off well, with some behavioral questions (including a few that were the exact same ones asked in the written questionnaire) and a lot of questions about my graduate research/experiences. I was next asked to describe how a particular instrument worked (that I listed I had experience with on the questionnaire). The next part is where the interview went south. I was asked a back-of-the envelope estimation question, and the hiring manager got snippy and talked down to me explaining why my estimate was wrong and what factors I didn’t consider. Then it was my turn to ask questions. Since I had already decided that I wouldn’t accept an offer there (wish I had found these reviews before I applied!), I figured I would ask the interviewer to speak on the mixed (aka negative) reviews I’d seen online and from previous employees. They immediately got defensive asked where I saw these negative reviews (I said from current and past employees I met on LinkedIn), and then basically threw every negative reviewer under the bus – “those who give bad reviews on glassdoor are the ones who couldn’t succeed here”, etc. The biggest red flag was when I asked about opportunities for professional development. The interviewer had no clue what I was talking about, and when I gave examples they gave me some “it depends on the person to create opportunities for themselves” mumbo jumbo. It was obvious no opportunities are in place, and they just made up an answer on the spot.
    Needless to say, it’s a no for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you had to pull from many different sources to solve an important problem   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cree in May 2015.

Interview

Applied for position online. Contacted by a recruiter for further information. Decided to research the company here on Glassdoor. I saw all of the negative reviews and told the recruiter I wasn't interested.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to work at Cree?   2 Answers

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted fairly quickly for a 1 hr phone interview. Interview went really well and was asked to make a site visit for an in person interview. Flew down 2 weeks later for the interview. It was a 4 hour interview with 5 or 6 leaders at the site that was over around noon. There were no lunch plans or anyway to get to ask questions about the area or speak in a casual manner outside of the interview environment.

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree in March 2015.

Interview

Slow. Slow. Slow. They take a week or two between phone interviews. The first phone interview is basically a sales pitch from HR. Then a more technical interview came several weeks later. The reviews on the company are terrible, so I wasn't really interested by the time the second phone interview occurred. I haven't heard from them after the interview which is probably a good thing.

Product Manufacturing Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree.

Interview

First HR email me with four basic questions (when available, GPA, visa, relocation) then reply back to me within three hours with a 25 questions questionnaire and have me reply it within three days. Still waiting for phone interview.

Led Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cree in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Then after about a month I was contacted by an HR. She sent me a questionnaire with lots of behavior questions and asked again for the copy of the resume. Questionnaire literally will take you one full day to do because it has like 40 questions and some of them they want to know about your related experience. VERY VERY tedious. They'd ask expected salary in the questionnaire, too. And only numbers are allowed- so put some time into it and put down a reasonable range. They told me I was not selected for next round of interview, though. But it was nice that they actually tell the rejected candidates.

Interview Questions

• One of the behavior question: Does your grade in college reflect your performance in your job?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

short but brief, too many people. not sure who was in charge. Revolving door of people asking the same questions. Conference room was nice but the process was disorganized.

Interview Questions

• the usual, experience based questions.   1 Answer

Process Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cree.

Interview

The interview process started with a cold impromptu phone call during the afternoon. The interview itself ranged from talking about complex topics related to my background, which I had trouble recalling at that moment , to simpler questions regarding my expectation of the position. After the phone interview, we scheduled a time for a more substantive interview with other engineers who oversee the technicians. I was excited to be interviewed, but it seems apparent that they might have others in mind. For the second interview, the question included behavioral questions besides standard job related questions. I had to fill out several forms during this process that seem redundant because they asked mostly about my background, position expectations, and salary requirements.

Interview Questions

• An unexpected, but easy question:What is the frequency of blue LED light?   3 Answers

Process Sustaining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in January 2015.

Interview

Four stage process. After initial contact I was asked to fill out an in depth questionnaire. Then a technical phone interview was held with another engineer. Then a Skype interview was conducted where I was asked to give a 30 min presentation of some work that I had done. The presentation needed to be technical in nature. It was very strange giving a presentation via Skype. It was not comfortable at all. A few weeks later I was brought on site where I was asked to give the same presentation again. After that there was a series of 45 min interviews scheduled. This was the most intense series of interviews I have ever experienced. They have very high expectations of potential employees and they interview in an aggressive way. At no point during any stage of the interviews were they kind nor did they seem happy to be speaking to me. I constantly felt like I was being spoken down to. I understand they want to see how you respond under pressure but I didn't enjoy the way I was treated. I was not offered a position and I think that was a wise call on their part because I don't feel like I would have fit well in their company culture.

Interview Questions

• If the ice in a cup of water melts will the water level rise?   1 Answer