Cree Process Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cree Process Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.5

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree in May 2017.

Interview

The process consists of a questionnaire, phone interview, Skype presentation of research or some relevant project, and finally an on-site interview. I was only considered up to the presentation stage, where I was asked questions about my undergraduate research that were beyond the undergraduate level of technical expertise. It was at this point that I was disqualified. The questions asked were directed at a specific answer, and if that answer was not given, the interviewer continued to ask the same question in different ways to "direct" the interviewee to the answer. If the correct answer is not given, the process ends up making the interviewee look completely incompetent, even though the questioning method is not optimal.

Interview Questions

• You are given 2 sand timers, one with 4 minutes of sand, and one with 7 minutes of sand, and you are asked to use these to measure exactly 9 continuous minutes of time to boil an egg. without estimating time remaining visually, how can you precisely time this cooking process?   1 Answer
  • Given 9 billiard balls, with one out of 9 exhibiting a significantly different weight from the rest, and using a balance to measure mass, what is the minimum number of measurements that must be taken to be certain of which ball is the heavy one?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Originally, I applied for a different engineering position. I was asked to fill out a thorough questionnaire that was sometimes referred to in later phone, Skype, and in-person interviews. I then had a phone interview. Following that I gave a Skype presentation (30 minutes) on a previous project. 1-2 months later I finally received clear information that the position was given to someone else, but HR submitted my profile for a brand new position. During those 1-2 months, I was being told that audits were being conducted so the managers couldn't give me further information. I then gave another Skype presentation for the new position and was brought in for an on-site interview about 2 weeks later. At the start of the interview I found out Cree had plainly lied to me about the 1-2 month delay, because it turns out they just wanted to offer the previous position to another applicant who had already interviewed by the time they were considering bringing me in for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was a long day, and a generally neutral experience. As expected, they were extremely technical and asked many questions to see how you thought "on your feet." One manager criticized me for not having an engineering position already since graduating university, as if I could control that, and was accusatory in many of his questions. He had obviously had formed his own negative impression of me before he met me, though he was the exception. OVERALL, Cree offered poor and dishonest communication and one interviewer was belligerent, but most interviewers were simply curious and technical. I'm not terribly disappointed I was not given an offer in light of my application and interview experience.

Interview Questions

• The brain teasers were fairly straightforward. I can only remember a few.
      1) Estimate the circumference of the earth
      2) How tall would you be if your atoms were the size of tennis balls?
      3) How old are my children if their ages add up to 'x' and the difference between them is 'y'
      4) If I had two sand-timers of 4 minutes and 7 minutes, how could I accurately measure 9 minutes?

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by hiring manager, asked specific questions about prior experience, equipment familiarity and specific hands-on knowledge, level of involvement in process development, process optimization methodology, general information exchange about interest in the company and location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

First there was a lengthy questionnaire, followed by three rounds of interviews. First there was a one on one phone interview with many technical questions and questions about my questionnaire. Then I did a lengthy Skype presentation on my past projects, followed by a Q&A session. Then I was flown in for an on-site interview, all day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

First I had to fill a screening questionnaire, then received a phone screening (about 1 hours), then moved to skype interview where I had to present a technical project I did, then I got invited for onsite interview in NC (where I had multiple interviews throughout the day with different engineers and scientists)

Interview Questions

• The sum of the age of my two children is 11
      The difference of the age of my two children is 10

How old are they?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied on Cree's website following are the step and remarks.

Questionnaire, Phone screen and Skype interview - prepare a presentation on a knowledgeable subject.

Remarks: I recommend not to reach or applied to this company!

1. They only want your presentation (They want just to take knowledge/info form you). They do not want you!
    2. Cree just manufacturing LED, there are lots of artificial job openings on their website just to sell themselves.

Please move to other company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

I got a questionnaire in my email. I was asked to fill it out within 3 days. Afterwards, I was told I would hear back in a week but they never got back to me.

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cree in June 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview : Based on resume. Had to explained everything on the resume in detail. Also a few problem solving question were asked to test thinking pocess and provide optimum possible answers.

Skype Interview: I Had to present one or more projects. I was asked detailed questions based on presentation.

Other questions asked: What is a LED.

Interview Questions

• If its 3.15 am in analog clock what is the angle between the hour hand and minute hand?   1 Answer

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cree.

Interview

Questionnaire, phone screening (about an hour), skype interview (asked to present on a past prokject, about one hour), then a round robin in person interview with 8 different people (about 8 hours) plus lunch and dinner interviews. The whole process took about two weeks, though for many it takes longer.

Interview Questions

• How many lightbulbs would we have to sell to replace every incandescent bulb in every american home?   3 Answers

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cree.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4 rounds. First two were phone screen by a research scientist and a manager. Then I had a skype interview where I had to present on the topic I had worked on for 25 minutes followed by Q&A. Final round consisted of on-site interview where had to give the same 25 minutes long presentation again and then individual Q&A.

Interview Questions

• How did you come to know about this position?
      Walk me through the operation of any fabrication system you had experience with?
      A small mathematical problem too.