Cree Process Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

3.5

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree.

Interview

Contacted me that they were interested and sent me a long questionnaire to fill out. After a few days they were no longer interested in continuing the selection process with me.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in June 2017.

Interview

Cree has four stages to their interview process. First step is the questionnaire that you have to send back to HR within a three day window. Questions are behavioral and also ask you about technical experiences you have. Expected salary that you put down on questionnaire will likely be used against you if you get an offer. If they like your questionnaire, you'll get an email from the hiring manager for a phone interview. They asked a lot of technical questions about what LED lights are and about your previous responsibilities. Interviewer wasn't super friendly, but liked that I asked a lot of questions. If they like your interview then, you get invited to prepare a 30 minute skype interview on your responsibilities on your last job. Again, they ask a lot of questions and can come off as questioning your abilities but they are just trying to see how you react to that sort of stuff. If you know your stuff and are confident in your presentation, you'll be fine. They ask the tough questions, so being able to handle the questions is key in this stage. Fourth and final step is an in person interview to their location, which in my case was Durham. They pay for flight and hotel, and were very nice about paying for me to stay an extra day to explore the city. I was asked to present the same presentation to a slate of people, and then one on one interviews with that same slate of people for the rest of the day. What they do at Cree is they are intentionally cold and somewhat rude to you throughout the interview process in order to see how you react to things. For instance, during the one on one interviews I would shake their hand and ask them how they are doing, and they wouldn't make eye contact with me and give a cold response like "fine". During 1on1 stage, they ask a lot of technical questions on your presentation to see how you think, I didn't get any of the brain quiz questions like the "how tall would you be if your atoms were made of tennis balls" that other people did. One guy really grilled me on Cree's product line and acted like he was disgusted and insulted that I didn't look through their product catalogs and didn't know more products than different types of LED lights. After three one on one interviews, they took me out for lunch at a brazilian steakhouse. I think they just try to throw you off with weird food/environments, they told me they usually like to get indian food for lunch with interviewees. They asked me some questions about myself at lunch, a weird amount of questions about what my ideal job would be, what other companies I've applied to. I asked questions about the 50+ hour work week, and they acted like I was incredibly naive to think that anyone works less hours than that.

I was cut right after lunch while waiting for my next interview after lunch, told I wasn't a good fit for the company because of my concerns to work. They told me that Cree has a very particular environment that is very fast paced and requires a great deal of work and commitment and that they didn't think I would fit well in that. I think what they wanted was someone that would want to be there for 50+ hours and have no reservations about it, and they could tell I did have some reservations. It's kind of a curse to read the Glassdoor interview reviews and company reviews for this company, because if you have any sort of reservations about this company they will sense that and get rid of you. And after reading the Glassdoor for Cree I most certainly had reservations, even though I went into the interview knowing I would accept an offer from them. Overall, they do a very thorough job of vetting their employees, and will draw heavy conclusions based on your answers to simple questions. Also, contrary to popular to company reviews not all entry level engineering positions work the second shift (2pm-12am), I was told this job was one that would be 8-6. In retrospect, I really wish I was more enthusiastic for this position. Don't believe all of the company reviews you read!!

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree in May 2017.

Interview

The process consists of a questionnaire, phone interview, Skype presentation of research or some relevant project, and finally an on-site interview. I was only considered up to the presentation stage, where I was asked questions about my undergraduate research that were beyond the undergraduate level of technical expertise. It was at this point that I was disqualified. The questions asked were directed at a specific answer, and if that answer was not given, the interviewer continued to ask the same question in different ways to "direct" the interviewee to the answer. If the correct answer is not given, the process ends up making the interviewee look completely incompetent, even though the questioning method is not optimal.

Interview Questions

• You are given 2 sand timers, one with 4 minutes of sand, and one with 7 minutes of sand, and you are asked to use these to measure exactly 9 continuous minutes of time to boil an egg. without estimating time remaining visually, how can you precisely time this cooking process?   1 Answer
    • Given 9 billiard balls, with one out of 9 exhibiting a significantly different weight from the rest, and using a balance to measure mass, what is the minimum number of measurements that must be taken to be certain of which ball is the heavy one?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Originally, I applied for a different engineering position. I was asked to fill out a thorough questionnaire that was sometimes referred to in later phone, Skype, and in-person interviews. I then had a phone interview. Following that I gave a Skype presentation (30 minutes) on a previous project. 1-2 months later I finally received clear information that the position was given to someone else, but HR submitted my profile for a brand new position. During those 1-2 months, I was being told that audits were being conducted so the managers couldn't give me further information. I then gave another Skype presentation for the new position and was brought in for an on-site interview about 2 weeks later. At the start of the interview I found out Cree had plainly lied to me about the 1-2 month delay, because it turns out they just wanted to offer the previous position to another applicant who had already interviewed by the time they were considering bringing me in for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was a long day, and a generally neutral experience. As expected, they were extremely technical and asked many questions to see how you thought "on your feet." One manager criticized me for not having an engineering position already since graduating university, as if I could control that, and was accusatory in many of his questions. He had obviously had formed his own negative impression of me before he met me, though he was the exception. OVERALL, Cree offered poor and dishonest communication and one interviewer was belligerent, but most interviewers were simply curious and technical. I'm not terribly disappointed I was not given an offer in light of my application and interview experience.

Interview Questions

• The brain teasers were fairly straightforward. I can only remember a few.
      1) Estimate the circumference of the earth
      2) How tall would you be if your atoms were the size of tennis balls?
      3) How old are my children if their ages add up to 'x' and the difference between them is 'y'
      4) If I had two sand-timers of 4 minutes and 7 minutes, how could I accurately measure 9 minutes?   1 Answer

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree in March 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by hiring manager, asked specific questions about prior experience, equipment familiarity and specific hands-on knowledge, level of involvement in process development, process optimization methodology, general information exchange about interest in the company and location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

First there was a lengthy questionnaire, followed by three rounds of interviews. First there was a one on one phone interview with many technical questions and questions about my questionnaire. Then I did a lengthy Skype presentation on my past projects, followed by a Q&A session. Then I was flown in for an on-site interview, all day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

First I had to fill a screening questionnaire, then received a phone screening (about 1 hours), then moved to skype interview where I had to present a technical project I did, then I got invited for onsite interview in NC (where I had multiple interviews throughout the day with different engineers and scientists)

Interview Questions

• The sum of the age of my two children is 11
      The difference of the age of my two children is 10

How old are they?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied on Cree's website following are the step and remarks.

Questionnaire, Phone screen and Skype interview - prepare a presentation on a knowledgeable subject.

Remarks: I recommend not to reach or applied to this company!

1. They only want your presentation (They want just to take knowledge/info form you). They do not want you!
    2. Cree just manufacturing LED, there are lots of artificial job openings on their website just to sell themselves.

Please move to other company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cree (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

I got a questionnaire in my email. I was asked to fill it out within 3 days. Afterwards, I was told I would hear back in a week but they never got back to me.

Process Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cree in June 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview : Based on resume. Had to explained everything on the resume in detail. Also a few problem solving question were asked to test thinking pocess and provide optimum possible answers.

Skype Interview: I Had to present one or more projects. I was asked detailed questions based on presentation.

Other questions asked: What is a LED.

Interview Questions

• If its 3.15 am in analog clock what is the angle between the hour hand and minute hand?   1 Answer