Cruise General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cruise General Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Cruise

2.7

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cruise in April 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen went pretty well and the interviewer was very friendly and kept the interview conversational. She sounded positive I was moving on to the next round, only to email four days later saying they weren't moving forward.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your team building skills?   Answer Question
  • How big of a role have you played in hiring engineers and operations staff?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cruise

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cruise.

Interview

I applied online and received not an invite for an introductory call but rather a request to submit hours of work [done in PPT] without compensation.

As a strategy consultant, regrettably, it's not likely worth my time-risk to invest 10 hours into a project for an opportunity to be screened. I'm incredibly short on free time. (As part of my assessment, I also gleaned the likely base compensation based on publicly available data; it was below market.)

If Cruise hopes to recruit among those with a McKinsey and BCG pedigree, it will need to sell itself better and align the recruitment process to (a) its desired candidate profile, (b) talent acquisition norms found among companies with which it competes, and (c) broad market conditions (a tight market with exceptional competition for departing and former strategy consultants). Further, this sort of unpaid "homework" only exacerbates frictions in a labor market fraught with inefficiencies and frustrations among candidates and employers alike. It's not good for the future of labor markets; and I cannot support it.

The company is, yes, well-capitalized due to its relationship with GM. But its employer brand is weak (and thus not an asset on your resume). Traction is minimal when measured by revenues. And the signal Cruise sent with its screening process reeked of engineering tech-bro egotism. I didn't care to know more about its culture.

Interview Questions

• Can you spend 10 hours on this "challenge" question?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied through referral. Received an introductory email saying I was selected to move to next round which was to do an exercise relating to operations. It was ambiguous and very large in scope. I asked for clarification about what the deliverable should be as well as asked for clarity around the scope of the exercise relating to what functions should be included in operations. Was told "we would like to see how you think so use your best judgement." In short, without so much as an introductory conversation, you are asking me to provide you a large structured assignment without clear guidelines. For a GM position? I could spend ten hours doing a decent job on the exercise just to later be screened in 15 minutes and turned away. If this is Cruise's way of doing a litmus test to figure out if candidates are worth screening, I would recommend a different strategy. All I can say is if you actually have industry experience in growing solid companies, penetrating new markets, and spearheading operations that efficiently align multiple stakeholders, look elsewhere. This interview process only made think of the nightmares that are going to arise in this company from a toxic culture built from people without real industry experience.

Interview Questions

• Build an operating model for...   1 Answer