Cruise Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cruise Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Cruise

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cruise.

Interview

First phone screening, then phone coding interview. The interviewer was in a bad mood, or just not cooperative. He didn't seem to be happy about having to do an interview. Very unfriendly. I didn't receive any feedback, and although I'm sure I did well at the interview, I didn't receive any follow up. Not a pleasant process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cruise

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cruise in July 2017.

Interview

recuriter, HC, phone screen, onsite, Hackerrank was tough, Hackerrank consits of 3-4 questions and time was 60 minutes. The recuiter did a deep dive on my resume and was friendly. The process was slow and the recuriter wanted to move slowly, they scheduled ny interview after 3 weeks o recuiriter call

Interview Questions

• Find a word in grid, DESCRIBE ABOUT YOURSELF, told about what cruise is doing, Interviewer was friendly and helped if i was going in wrong direction, He answered all my questions at the end of the interview. He seemed to have good tech knowledge.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Cruise used tools like hackerrank and coderpad to test me, I found these to be a plus in the interview process and they are a big improvement over the regular take home challenge that you can get at other places.
    The recruiter quickly responded to my emails and interviews were scheduled quickly as well.
    Even though I did not get an offer, Cruise responded the next day after my last interview telling me that I would not go any further, which is always nice.

Cruise Response

Jul 6, 2017 – Technical Recruiter

Thanks for letting us know about your interview experience! We're glad you liked the challenge and had a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The steps are:
    1. Phone screening with recruiter
    2. Technical phone interview
    3. On-site

The process is very efficient and fast-pace. Got feedback very soon at each stage (e.g. I was contacted by the recruiter within 1hr after the phone tech interview). All the interviewers I met were highly intelligent, skilled, and passionate. The recruiters were also very nice, responsive, and professional.

Interview Questions

• Not canned problems that you typically got elsewhere.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The steps are:
    1. Intro call with recruiter
    2. Takehome hackerrank
    3. Technical phone-call wtih coding
    4. Onsite

I got 4/5 on the hackerrank (my 5th was correct but didn't meet the time requirement for the later test cases). You are required to get 100% on this part of the process.

The recruiter was prompt and provided feedback which I appreciate.

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank problems involving lists, matrices, SQL, and one multiple choice about HTTP.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Well organized process and everyone was pretty nice. One engineer was pretty unhappy about having to interview and said so, but otherwise was pretty good and stringent. Multiple phone screens to find the best fit, online code assessment went well, and onsite was mostly great except I screwed up whiteboarding pretty bad.

Interview Questions

• Binary search   1 Answer
    • Implement a key value store with transactions and rollbacks   1 Answer
    • Find the most efficient path through a maze   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

It was overall good. Interviewers were good and prepared except one interviewer who is recent college grad and came with some question prepared and asked it. He was not open to have more ways to solve this problem he was more interested in actual code.

out of 4 interviews , 2 of them asked me word count. I told them that it was asked, but they were not prepared with other question, they decided to ask same question. One person asked the same question which was asked in phone screen, so clearly he did not know about other interview questions.

Good Points:
    Office is nice. People are good. They have some good technology.

Bad Points:
    1: Somehow SF companies do not entertain South bay big company people. Even if you do well interview, the tend to reject you. I have interviewed at 3-4 SF city companies and my experience has been the same.
    2: Somehow i felt that they tend not to hire indian people. Just because of diversity. This is ridiculous. Talent should be the first and most priority in the interview selection.
    3: One guys worked in Google maps. In his interview I preformed really well. He said good things about me. So clearly you need some big names behind you in order to get selected in this company.

Overall Impression:
    Avoid interviewing and wasting your one day , If you are from big company apart from Facebook and google.

Interview Questions

• 1: Without using hashmap, do word count on file.
      2: Do wordcount in more detail
      3: Design linkedin like job search
      4: Some AI related   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Cruise.

Interview

Tech Screening followed by Hacker Rank.

Tech Screening.. It was little in depth for me than general get to know you call. I was bit surprised but it was short call.

Hackerrank Challenge

This is a most weird HC Challenge I have faced so far. Reason, the HC Questions are test cases were not matching.

2 out of 5 question, I found TC itself was wrong... specially the SQL and the last question which ask the max Difference.

I think I failed because of Hacerrank.

Find the maxdiff between elements in a array such that i < j and a[i] < a[j].. Example [4,1,2,3]... max Diff is 2 between a[3] - a[1] = 2... if no such element exist.. return -1.

Hacerrank has this Test case which is complete BS..

Given array [5, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3, 1] and the expected output as -1.. How the hell? the max diff here is 5 as the diff array is [5, -1, -1 , -1, -1, -1].

Similarly, SQL question for listing name and count on descending order was faulted

I think nobody looks at the questions / TC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cruise (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

A series of four on-site technical interviews lasting ~4 hours. Cruise has a well-organized recruiting team and the entire interview process was very smooth. My recruiters were eager to answer all of my questions, or set up follow-on meetings for those questions they couldn't answer directly.

Technical interviews were conducted mostly as pair-coding exercises on a provided laptop, with minor excursions onto whiteboard for systems design topics. Interviewers were team leads and were not only evaluating skills but also interest/fit on their teams.

Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a maze as a 2D array, find a path from start to finish (one of many; paraphrasing)   2 Answers

Cruise Response

Mar 21, 2017 – Technical Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback on our interviewing process! Let us know if there's anything we can do to improve.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cruise in March 2018.

Interview

Phone chat with the recruiter and then a technical phone screen.

The interviewer on the technical phone screen was not able to explain the problem well. It took a lot of time to understand the problem, and once understood, I was able to program it. The shared code editor didn't have the problem already there. The problem used wasn't something that was ideal for a phone screen. They still rejected after a week's wait. Seemed pretty unprofessional and unpreparedness on the interviewer.