Crunch Fitness Personal Trainer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.5

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness.

Interview

I applied online by uploading my name and resume to their website. A few weeks later I was contacted via email to see if I was still interested in working there. I went in for an interview and was greeted by several trainers on duty just waiting at the desk for something to do. They told me to have a seat at one of the tables near the entrance and wait for the supervisor who had emailed me. He sat down, we had a discussion about my experience and what would be expected of me. At the end of the interview, he told me to email him with whether or not I'd like to continue the employment process. It was straightforward and to the point.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Crunch Fitness

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness.

Interview

I went to a job fair and it was very nice and helpful. they talk to you about everything and answer any question you have. you must be CPR certified, they split yo into groups after and you fill out paperwork. once you get your background check completed and everything is ok they call you right away and you do your i9 then you can get started. it is a pretty fast process and they are helpful through it all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First time applying for fitness trainer for any company. Phone interview with recruiter first to talk about background and reason for wanting to make career change, very positive experience. She wish me luck for in person interview and practical. In person was the worst i ever had. Interviewer was not personable, when i made small talk as he was walking me to his desk for the interview he ignored me. He interviewed me right next to a sale consultant desk about 3 feet away not comfortable at all. During the interview he was not paying attention to me. he responded to 2 text which was defiantly distracting and unprofessional. He ask about what my focus was i responded weight loss/ exercise therapy and he quickly said this gym is not about that it about the body builder, actor and models. what really irritated me is that at the end he said well i'm full staff trainers but ill keep you in mind. so i didn't do a practical as said by the recruiter what a waste of time. I know he judge me as soon as he meet me since i wasn't like the rest of his trainers i'm 6'0 160 slim build. fortunately i had a more positive experience interviewing with equinox later that week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Crunch in Dallas. Started with phone screening interview, standard questions. then invited to 2nd interview in person, was very casual, great environment. Was asked to come in fitness attire, so make sure you have nice exercise clothes to come in with. It wasn't anything special, just standard questions again, will list below. after about 10 minute talk, we went onto the practical portion interview. He gave me two scenarios: mid 20's guy, used to be an athlete in college, was good shape, but he injured his leg, so after a few years now, he wants to lose bit of a weight and get in good shape again. Second scenario, middle aged woman, never worked out before, wants to lose weight, suffers from occasional back pain. made workouts for each, i advise not to go to easy on the workout, dont make it complicated but brief and to the point. they said theyll call me, will wait on that answer, all in all, if ur prepared, its a simple interview. Dont remember all the questions, good luck though.

Personal Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness in February 2017.

Interview

I applied to go to their job fair. They accepted. The people there were very knowledgeable and pleasant. They asked me one on one questions and escorted me around. They asked for my certification but I said I was just seeing if this line of work was for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online, received an email invite for a hiring fair and attended five days later. Several candidates in attendance, sat thru a presentation / filled out paper work including a background check form, took a quiz and presented copies of certs , cpr etc. I was then interviewed by a fitness mgr there then offered a job on the spot. I decided to think about it and ultimately rejected the job due to very low pay, ($9 per hr to work floor hrs then only $29 for training per hour) IF you build a business. Hey Crunch, minimum wage in NYC $11/ hr. $29 per hour for training is low for mid-manhattan trainers with several certs and a few yrs. experience. In addition you have to sign a no-compete clause....cant train other than crunch clients at Crunch...up to 25 mi away even two yrs after you leave crunch! not worth it to me.

Interview Questions

I declined due to lower pay than the industry standard and had to agree to a non-compete agreement.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I met with the Fitness Director for the location I was interested in working at. The Fitness Director was professional and friendly. They had reviewed my resume asked me a few questions and had a general conversation with me. They wanted to know why I was interested in working there and described the general atmosphere of the facility and current staff. Basically it was a would this be a good fit interview that was a positive experience for both of us. I already had general knowledge about Crunch having been a member of a different location which I believe helped move along the conversation because I already knew what I liked about the gym and was able to articulate that.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell yourself as a trainer and acquire clients?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (New York, NY).

Interview

Whole process took two days, technically over a weekend period though from Friday to Monday. Initially I went to a job fair held at one of Crunch's flagship locations in Manhattan. We were shown a presentation of how being a PT works at Crunch, followed by a group interview for anyone already certified as a PT, and then followed by 1 on 1 interviews with the regional chain manager. I was almost offered a job on the spot, but was instead given a second interview with the manager for a specific chain that needed trainers and was much closer to my home. For this interview, the manager and I walked around the gym, being introduced to the facility and other trainers. We then sat down in his office for the formal interview, which consisted of around 5 or 6 questions. No practical test was done like taking a quiz or performing a posture assessment. I was then offered a job at the conclusion of the interview and over the next few days filled out various paperwork before getting started.

Interview Questions

• Tell me three single-word adjectives that describe you personally.   Answer Question
    • If you were at a party with nobody you knew, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in a year from now? What about three years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (San Marcos, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

There are two interviews in the hiring process. The first interview you meet with the fitness manager and go over your resume. After that interview you will be asked to come back for a second interview, or practical. During that practical you will be asked to simulate a personal training session. The manager will be supervising your practical step by step. A trainer will give you a scenario and you will be asked to make a work out routine on the fly based on the scenario. You will assess the trainer with the overhead squat test. After the practical you will contacted a few days later if you have received the job or not.

Interview Questions

• What age group do you feel you work best with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my schedule. It is pretty flexible and you are able to decided your own schedule based on your clients.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelsea, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crunch Fitness (Chelsea, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

3 interviews - a standard "what are your weaknesses" interview with a club manager, a practical interview where they give you a scenario (mine was a 40 year old woman who sits 8 hrs a day, doesn't work out, and wants to burn fat) and tell you to make something up on the fly, and then a final interview with a district manager where she asked about sales skills and how comfortable you are with commission-based pay.

Lastly, there's a little quiz you have to fill out regarding nutrition and exercise. Easy if you've taken courses or know your stuff.

Interview Questions

• Whyy do you want to be a personal trainer?   1 Answer

Couldn't afford to live in NY without guaranteed pay for the first couple months.