Crytek Interview Questions in Germany | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.8

Low-Level C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2016.

Interview

2 Days after submitting my application (Online) I got an invitation for an phone-interview. The interview was between me and 2 engineers, one being a C# expert and the leading developer for the project relevant to my application, the other being a C++ expert from the core engine team. The interview took slightly above one hour and a pleasant experience. I got asked a lot of very specific questions about C#, C++ and differences between the two languages. Deep knowledge of the matter was required and all questions where relevant for the position.

A week after the interview I got a positive feedback and was given an invitation for a test (Homework). I was told the test would have a deadline of 1 week preferably (But could be extended if required). I was asked to choose a date when I want to receive the task.

The test did arrive in my inbox at 23 o'clock and was deadlined after 4 days. The programming test was directly relevant to my application and was quite fun to work on. It took me the full 4 days to complete the task, most time was taken up by trying out different approaches and choosing the best one and also writing a documentation containing my motivations for each technical decision.
    It was possible to ask questions about the test during the test, but some parts of the test where kept intentionally vague.

Two days after I got an invitation to an onsite interview which was scheduled to take about 4 hours. The interview took place in a meeting room where I would discuss numerous technical topics with may employees that would be my future colleges. It was noticeable that a majority of the questions where about C++ as opposed to C#, which made sense to me, given that most people interviewing me where from the core engine team and C++ experts (I would have worked inside the core engine team too).
    The was also lunch together with 2 employees (which where not part of the interviewers in the meeting room). The people in the meeting room changed multiple times, so at the end of the day, I got to know a lot of my future colleges which was an absolutely great and reassuring experience. I also got a tour around the office, which was equally nice.

The whole process took ~7 weeks and was a great experience. I really loved how Crytek structured the application process, albeit it being hard to accept being rejected after getting to know so many friendly colleges during the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Memory Management (How garbage collectors work, differences between C++ and C#)
      Inheritance (C#/C++ differences, especially detailed C++ questions about casting and VTables)
      Concurrency (C++ and C# strategies and common errors and how to prevent them)
      And a lot more about keywords in both languages and their meaning and many very detailed C++ questions.
      Answer Question

Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, took 2-3 weeks for reply. and they set up an interview by Skype.
    and it took more a month due to holidays. and finally they asked me a on-site interview, and the interview went well.
     The Interview was a general one, easy, comfortable. I explained my background, and I told them what I want to learn from the company.
     Online interview was overall easy, comfortable. and the Onsite interview was super fun.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me your background?   1 Answer
    • How you approach shots when you take the shots?   1 Answer

Game Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

- Phone interview with coders (candidate expectations, few technical questions, quick questions about experience...)
    - C++ test (one day)
    - On-site interview (travelling expenses covered by the company) of one day with lunch included (technical test including : board programming questions and debugging test) and meet with different teams

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

This started as maybe one of the best interview processes I had in my life. It started with the regular phone interview, then they sent a programming quiz to complete which I completed and sent back and then a week later, I was told that I passed and that they need to perform a final interview on campus.

So far so good. That was back in December 2014, at that time they asked me to wait for a couple of weeks because everyone back then was having the holidays vacation, so I waited until January, we worked on the visa and everything, and I visited them on Campus on the second week of February of 2015 to have a full day of interviews.

The on-campus interviews difficulty level was not really that hard. Some questions were a little bit tough (i.e. how the C++ compiler perform some tasks regarding some specific commands) but overall, it was not very tough.

The impression I got from everyone that everyone was impressed enough to place some people with me near the end who just sat there and listened to what I did in my life. I met that that with over 20 engineers and artists from all different parts of Crytek, most of them were on a leader position and who kept asking me which part of Crytek I would prefer the most and they kept telling me what their projects are and trying to sell their teams to me. Judging from my interviews in different firms all over the world (I am currently Microsoft MSFT and I worked and lived in half a dozen of countries all over the world) I knew that people would start such conversations only when they are convinced that they got a matching candidate.

So the day ended and HR notified me that it would take a week before she comes back to me with the result, a max of 10 days in the worst case.

Today is March 31st of 2015. The interview was on the 10th of February, that means a total of 49 days and I still don't know if I passed the damn interview or not!!

I sent few emails and I even called a couple of times and HR didn't even want to talk with me and she told the receptionist to tell me that she has something and she would call me back very soon.

I am not sure how busy Crytek is, but I know that companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and others would come back to you with a definitive answer as long as they accepted your resume. This is really my first to hear about any company in the entire world who would invite someone for an on-campus full loop and fail to notify him about the interview results!!

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Took a couple of weeks to get started once i sent my application.

Had a first skype interview set up, but since this was for a regular position I didn't proceed. Fortunately another position (senior) opened up and we arranged another skype interview. This process was fairly fast but once i was told i could come over things begun to take time. Responses took 1-2 weeks and it was mostly delaying of flying me over for unknown reasons. Three months in i got told that they proceeded with another candidate.

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview 40 mins : Software development related questions and few question from mathematics. Interviewer were nice and did not ask any unrelated question. The position was explained well and it was made clear that the position is to design and develop User interface and graphics domain knowledge is not required.

2nd round : Have to fix a programming code. Now this was the bad part as the programming problem was graphics domain related and the test was time bound (3 days).

Why this was bad : You want to hire a fish to swim and you are judging him by his ability to climb trees.

I think they have a standard programming problem which they give to all the candidates.I developed a scalable solution(faster as cpu cores increase) with SIMD optimizations. But the interviewer was not happy with the documentation I did. I documented the classes with their methods and parameters and I did write comments wherever I thought might help the reviewer ( I worked under strict FDA regulations and I know what a well documented code looks like).

Some recommendations to Crytek:

1. Judge the person based on the open position and its requirements. Not everyone in a hospital is a Doctor.

2. People were nice and polite. Keep it like that.

3. Please give the deadlines for programming test in man hours rather than days as 3 - 4 days for a working guy translate into 6 - 8 hrs of programming time as they are still employed and no body takes the day off for such occasions.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in December 2014.

Interview

The was not much an interview process, but working on test task. The checked out my background and asked to make a redesign of 2 pages(Cannot talk about what pages i had to redesign cause of NDA). I was pretty satisfied with communication experience and HR manages was super cool and friendly but something strange happened. I send test task i received strange answer. I know that there's so much candidates for this position and letters for candidates who did not passed may be pretty abstract, but they weren't. I received answer with some critics. And i can understand why they have to do it, but make sure that you sending letters to the right person. I was reading about mistakes, design solutions and techniques i didn't even made or used. That was dumb to read something so unrelated to test task i did. And when i asked HR how this even related to my project, she didn't answered. Fail.

Interview Questions

• Qualifications and projects   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in May 2014.

Interview

The woman was very friendly and asked a lot of question.
    after that they showed me the design team and other stuff.
    it was ok.
    It was a normal interview. After that more People joined and they could ask Questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Crytek Response

Jul 4, 2016 – L&D Coordinator

We are glad about the positive experiences during your interview at Crytek. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with other potential applicants!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in June 2013.

Interview

Friendly, unclear ,over 1 hour of talking without understanding the business expectations, no clear information as to the job's requirements or details of previous employees. The people I was to manage were not part of the decision. No peers were introduced during the process to get an idea of the company environment

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in a matrix organization   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in September 2016.

Interview

Nach kurzer Wartezeit wird man in einen Konferenzraum geführt, in dem das Bewerbungsgespräch stattfindet.
    Die Mitarbeiter erzählen viel über die aktuellen Projekte und ihr jobs.
    Sehr lockere Atmospähre.
    Englisch muss man schon gut können.
    Nach dem Gespräch gab es noch eine Führung durchs Gebäude...sehr interessant !