Crytek Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Crytek Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

I have contacted them about a position advertised on their site, made a skype interview after that.
    After the interview, I completed and sent a small programming task, haven't received an answer after for a long time, they don't answer your questions back either.

After like a month, We made another interview which was a lot of awkward HR question ("Did you have any problems in previous places", "What kind of person you would find to difficult to work with?"). And the position I applied (I was not notified) was filled and this interview was for another position, which added more awkwardness.

No answer after this second interview, I guess it is a negative.

Interview Questions

• A small C++ test but the questions/requirements are very vague so I always doubted myself if I am doing things correctly   Answer Question

Crytek Response

May 8, 2017 – L&D Coordinator

We are very sorry to hear that the interview experience you made did not match your expectations. This is of course not the way we want our interview process to be and we will take care, that your... More

Senior Render Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek in October 2016.

Interview

This is my worth experience in hiring process up today. First at all I waiting more then month to get first response. After that about two weeks was passed to the moment of first interview. Week was passed after that and I get details of the programmer test. And another three month was taken to moment of interview at witch result of my test was discussed. After that and passing another three weeks I finally got final verdict witch was negative.

So I wait about 5 month to get decline of my application.

Crytek Response

May 18, 2017 – L&D Coordinator

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. We apologize for the indeed very long waiting time and will take care that this will not happen again in the future. All the best wishes from... More

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek in March 2016.

Interview

After the online application, I have been contacted by a recruiter for an phone interview scheduling.
    The phone call was with three team members.
    The interview was very friendly and related to my cv and experiences.
    Some technical question have been asked, in order to check what reported in the cv.

Interview Questions

• What's the meaning of "const" keyword in C++?
      What's the meaning of "virtual" keyword in C++?   Answer Question

Junior Applications/UI Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

I applied online and got an answer about 2 weeks after asking to schedule a programming test. The test was fairly appropriate for the position, and I completed it inside the time required. The recruiter said he would get back to me as soon as the team had feedback, so I just waited and didn't ask for more info.
    Received feedback one month after saying that although my test result was good they found someone more suited for the position. When I applied I knew this would be really competitive so I gee I wasn't surprised.

The recruiter was very nice, and I think the amount it took to get feedback wasn't that long.
    Would apply again if a suitable position appeared.

Low-Level C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2016.

Interview

2 Days after submitting my application (Online) I got an invitation for an phone-interview. The interview was between me and 2 engineers, one being a C# expert and the leading developer for the project relevant to my application, the other being a C++ expert from the core engine team. The interview took slightly above one hour and a pleasant experience. I got asked a lot of very specific questions about C#, C++ and differences between the two languages. Deep knowledge of the matter was required and all questions where relevant for the position.

A week after the interview I got a positive feedback and was given an invitation for a test (Homework). I was told the test would have a deadline of 1 week preferably (But could be extended if required). I was asked to choose a date when I want to receive the task.

The test did arrive in my inbox at 23 o'clock and was deadlined after 4 days. The programming test was directly relevant to my application and was quite fun to work on. It took me the full 4 days to complete the task, most time was taken up by trying out different approaches and choosing the best one and also writing a documentation containing my motivations for each technical decision.
    It was possible to ask questions about the test during the test, but some parts of the test where kept intentionally vague.

Two days after I got an invitation to an onsite interview which was scheduled to take about 4 hours. The interview took place in a meeting room where I would discuss numerous technical topics with may employees that would be my future colleges. It was noticeable that a majority of the questions where about C++ as opposed to C#, which made sense to me, given that most people interviewing me where from the core engine team and C++ experts (I would have worked inside the core engine team too).
    The was also lunch together with 2 employees (which where not part of the interviewers in the meeting room). The people in the meeting room changed multiple times, so at the end of the day, I got to know a lot of my future colleges which was an absolutely great and reassuring experience. I also got a tour around the office, which was equally nice.

The whole process took ~7 weeks and was a great experience. I really loved how Crytek structured the application process, albeit it being hard to accept being rejected after getting to know so many friendly colleges during the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Memory Management (How garbage collectors work, differences between C++ and C#)
      Inheritance (C#/C++ differences, especially detailed C++ questions about casting and VTables)
      Concurrency (C++ and C# strategies and common errors and how to prevent them)
      And a lot more about keywords in both languages and their meaning and many very detailed C++ questions.   Answer Question

Junior Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2015.

Interview

A Recruiter from Crytek Frankfurt reached out to me after seeing my work online which I must say is refreshing to see such commitment. After mailing back and forth a bit with the Recruiter, he went to see if there was a Project-lead at Crytek Frankfurt that could make use of my skills. Not long after he found a team I could fit in and a phone conversation got arranged with the Project-lead. Called for a little more than an hour, very relaxing and interesting, about who we both were, what my background is and basically just had a conversation about 3D and the industry. Shortly after I received my art-test for which I got more than enough time since I was doing an other art-test at the same time for which was shown complete understanding from their side. Send them my test on time and got an answer whether or not I got the position just a few days after.

Overal a very fast, open, friendly and helpful experience.

Interview Questions

• General questions and relaxed conversation about 3D. One subject during the interview was the 'Uncanny Valley'.   Answer Question

Marketing Position At Frankfurt Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

The whole process took almost 5 months, went through 2 skype interviews and haven't heard from recruiter for the last 2 months. In the end got response that "Unfortunately the position has been filled and is no longer available." which is less than unfortunate wording in this case.
    Some of the pauses in the interview process were understandable, some weren't. Hoping this isn't the care for all positions because if yes, I recommend not getting invested in getting job at Crytek.

3D Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek in June 2015.

Interview

First I asked to make a test. Task was to model and texture object from provided concept. They work in PBR, so be prepared. Review of a test took 1-2 days, after that I was invited to phone interview. We arranged exact day and hour. I was interviewed by art-director and senior 3d artist.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were related to 3D modeling. Nothing unexpected. Interviewers were very nice.   Answer Question

Game Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

- Phone interview with coders (candidate expectations, few technical questions, quick questions about experience...)
    - C++ test (one day)
    - On-site interview (travelling expenses covered by the company) of one day with lunch included (technical test including : board programming questions and debugging test) and meet with different teams

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

This started as maybe one of the best interview processes I had in my life. It started with the regular phone interview, then they sent a programming quiz to complete which I completed and sent back and then a week later, I was told that I passed and that they need to perform a final interview on campus.

So far so good. That was back in December 2014, at that time they asked me to wait for a couple of weeks because everyone back then was having the holidays vacation, so I waited until January, we worked on the visa and everything, and I visited them on Campus on the second week of February of 2015 to have a full day of interviews.

The on-campus interviews difficulty level was not really that hard. Some questions were a little bit tough (i.e. how the C++ compiler perform some tasks regarding some specific commands) but overall, it was not very tough.

The impression I got from everyone that everyone was impressed enough to place some people with me near the end who just sat there and listened to what I did in my life. I met that that with over 20 engineers and artists from all different parts of Crytek, most of them were on a leader position and who kept asking me which part of Crytek I would prefer the most and they kept telling me what their projects are and trying to sell their teams to me. Judging from my interviews in different firms all over the world (I am currently Microsoft MSFT and I worked and lived in half a dozen of countries all over the world) I knew that people would start such conversations only when they are convinced that they got a matching candidate.

So the day ended and HR notified me that it would take a week before she comes back to me with the result, a max of 10 days in the worst case.

Today is March 31st of 2015. The interview was on the 10th of February, that means a total of 49 days and I still don't know if I passed the damn interview or not!!

I sent few emails and I even called a couple of times and HR didn't even want to talk with me and she told the receptionist to tell me that she has something and she would call me back very soon.

I am not sure how busy Crytek is, but I know that companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and others would come back to you with a definitive answer as long as they accepted your resume. This is really my first to hear about any company in the entire world who would invite someone for an on-campus full loop and fail to notify him about the interview results!!