Crytek Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.8

Low-Level C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2016.

Interview

2 Days after submitting my application (Online) I got an invitation for an phone-interview. The interview was between me and 2 engineers, one being a C# expert and the leading developer for the project relevant to my application, the other being a C++ expert from the core engine team. The interview took slightly above one hour and a pleasant experience. I got asked a lot of very specific questions about C#, C++ and differences between the two languages. Deep knowledge of the matter was required and all questions where relevant for the position.

A week after the interview I got a positive feedback and was given an invitation for a test (Homework). I was told the test would have a deadline of 1 week preferably (But could be extended if required). I was asked to choose a date when I want to receive the task.

The test did arrive in my inbox at 23 o'clock and was deadlined after 4 days. The programming test was directly relevant to my application and was quite fun to work on. It took me the full 4 days to complete the task, most time was taken up by trying out different approaches and choosing the best one and also writing a documentation containing my motivations for each technical decision.
    It was possible to ask questions about the test during the test, but some parts of the test where kept intentionally vague.

Two days after I got an invitation to an onsite interview which was scheduled to take about 4 hours. The interview took place in a meeting room where I would discuss numerous technical topics with may employees that would be my future colleges. It was noticeable that a majority of the questions where about C++ as opposed to C#, which made sense to me, given that most people interviewing me where from the core engine team and C++ experts (I would have worked inside the core engine team too).
    The was also lunch together with 2 employees (which where not part of the interviewers in the meeting room). The people in the meeting room changed multiple times, so at the end of the day, I got to know a lot of my future colleges which was an absolutely great and reassuring experience. I also got a tour around the office, which was equally nice.

The whole process took ~7 weeks and was a great experience. I really loved how Crytek structured the application process, albeit it being hard to accept being rejected after getting to know so many friendly colleges during the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Memory Management (How garbage collectors work, differences between C++ and C#)
      Inheritance (C#/C++ differences, especially detailed C++ questions about casting and VTables)
      Concurrency (C++ and C# strategies and common errors and how to prevent them)
      And a lot more about keywords in both languages and their meaning and many very detailed C++ questions.
      Answer Question

FX Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

The company is simply awesome. I had applied and got an email from a recuiter,Crytek, Frankfurt stating they were interested and asked me if i could give a test. However i wasn't familiar with the software and they gave me ample amount of time to learn it and give the test. Although i couldn't make it but still it was a great experience for me. I'm glad and honoured they considered me. The recruiter is one of the best persons I've come across. They try their best to help and have no complaints doing it.Very supportive team indeed.

Spieleentwickler Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Ich hatte ein erstes Bewerbungsgespräch am Telefon, einen Kodierungstest und ein Bewerbungsgespräch vor Ort. Die ersten beiden waren recht einfach, aber das persönliche Bewerbungsgespräch war lang und hart.

I had an initial phone interview, a coding test and an on-site interview. The first two were fairly easy, but the on-site interview was long and heavy.

Interview Questions

• Man stellte mir eine Menge technischer Fragen (typische C++-Bewerbungsfragen), mit einigen tat ich mich schwer.   There were a lot of technical questions (typical C++ interview questions), some of them which I struggled with.   Answer Question

Leitender Softwareentwickler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)).

Interview

Es begann mit einem 45-minütigen technischen Telefongespräch mit einigen ihrer Programmierer, die Fragen waren sehr spezifisch und konzentrierten sich auf den Bereich meiner Spezialisierung, aber nichts Überraschendes an dieser Stelle.

Danach wurde mir ein Programmiertest geschickt, und man gab mir eine Woche, ihn abzuschließen. Der Test war wirklich eine Herausforderung und kostete mich mehr als 10 Stunden wirklicher, harter Arbeit.

Danach flogen sie mich nach Frankfurt zu einem Gespräch vor Ort. Der Vorstellungsprozess dauerte fast 6 Stunden, er war sehr intensiv und beinhaltete mehrere in die Tiefe gehende Gespräche mit verschiedenen Leuten sowie einen Debugging-Test.

It started with a 45 mins technical phone interview with a few of their programmers, questions were very specific and focused in my area of speciality but nothing surprising here.

After that I was sent a programming test and given a week to complete it. The test was really challenging and took me over 10 hours of actual hard work to get it done.

After that they flew me to Frankfurt for onsite interview. The interview lasted nearly 6 hours, it was very intense and consisted several in-depth technical interviews with different people and a debugging test.

Interview Questions

• Der Programmiertest war auf jeden anders als alle anderen Tests, die mir bis dahin begegnet waren, da er viel Zeit und Können erforderte.   The programming test was certainly unlike any other test I had come across before in an interview because of the amount of time and skill required.   Answer Question

Game Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

- Phone interview with coders (candidate expectations, few technical questions, quick questions about experience...)
    - C++ test (one day)
    - On-site interview (travelling expenses covered by the company) of one day with lunch included (technical test including : board programming questions and debugging test) and meet with different teams

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in September 2016.

Interview

Nach kurzer Wartezeit wird man in einen Konferenzraum geführt, in dem das Bewerbungsgespräch stattfindet.
    Die Mitarbeiter erzählen viel über die aktuellen Projekte und ihr jobs.
    Sehr lockere Atmospähre.
    Englisch muss man schon gut können.
    Nach dem Gespräch gab es noch eine Führung durchs Gebäude...sehr interessant !

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in June 2013.

Interview

Friendly, unclear ,over 1 hour of talking without understanding the business expectations, no clear information as to the job's requirements or details of previous employees. The people I was to manage were not part of the decision. No peers were introduced during the process to get an idea of the company environment

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work in a matrix organization   1 Answer

Junior Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antwerp (Belgium)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Crytek (Antwerp (Belgium)) in December 2015.

Interview

A Recruiter from Crytek Frankfurt reached out to me after seeing my work online which I must say is refreshing to see such commitment. After mailing back and forth a bit with the Recruiter, he went to see if there was a Project-lead at Crytek Frankfurt that could make use of my skills. Not long after he found a team I could fit in and a phone conversation got arranged with the Project-lead. Called for a little more than an hour, very relaxing and interesting, about who we both were, what my background is and basically just had a conversation about 3D and the industry. Shortly after I received my art-test for which I got more than enough time since I was doing an other art-test at the same time for which was shown complete understanding from their side. Send them my test on time and got an answer whether or not I got the position just a few days after.

Overal a very fast, open, friendly and helpful experience.

Interview Questions

• General questions and relaxed conversation about 3D. One subject during the interview was the 'Uncanny Valley'.   Answer Question

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crytek in March 2016.

Interview

After the online application, I have been contacted by a recruiter for an phone interview scheduling.
    The phone call was with three team members.
    The interview was very friendly and related to my cv and experiences.
    Some technical question have been asked, in order to check what reported in the cv.

Interview Questions

• What's the meaning of "const" keyword in C++?
      What's the meaning of "virtual" keyword in C++?
      Answer Question

Junior Applications/UI Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

I applied online and got an answer about 2 weeks after asking to schedule a programming test. The test was fairly appropriate for the position, and I completed it inside the time required. The recruiter said he would get back to me as soon as the team had feedback, so I just waited and didn't ask for more info.
    Received feedback one month after saying that although my test result was good they found someone more suited for the position. When I applied I knew this would be really competitive so I gee I wasn't surprised.

The recruiter was very nice, and I think the amount it took to get feedback wasn't that long.
    Would apply again if a suitable position appeared.