Cummins-Allison Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.9

Software Design Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Prospect, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Mount Prospect, IL).

Interview

The interview process began with an hour long phone screen that touched on my resume and a series of basic technical questions (mostly OOP - what is abstraction, encapsulation, when would you use a virtual function).

The onsite interview was rigorous. It lasted about 4-5 hours. I met with 3 software engineers, 2 software managers and the VP of engineering. Each engineer asked a pretty continuous stream of technical questions. A lot of the questions follow a similar pattern: "explain the purpose of the volatile keyword and when you'd use it." For the most part, this tested basic knowledge of embedded software, OS concepts, data structures, and C++ OOP concepts. There were a couple of points where I was instructed to write some code to complete a function. These were pretty easy and seemed to mainly focus on using pointers and manipulating strings and arrays. There was also a few times I was given a sheet with existing code and instructed to find the errors and bugs and explain my reasoning. These were similar and focused on arrays, pointers, type-casting, big endian vs. little endian and variable types.

In general, the staff was extremely kind during the interview. They seemed to take a lot of interest in bringing me on.

I did receive an offer. I was given 4 days to make a decision on the offer. When I asked for more time, I was told that the hiring process is "not comparative" and the position would be filled after those 4 days. This was odd, frustrating, and a huge turn off for me. I was in the interview process for several other companies and Cummins-Allison also refused to give me a paper offer until I accepted (presumably, to prevent comparing the offer with others).

I ended up declining. I called the recruiter and thanked him for the offer, but I explained that I'm unable to make a decision so quickly and would have to decline. The recruiter said ok and instructed me to call the VP. The VP ignored my calls and never returned them.

In general, the interview process was very thorough and focused on technical knowledge. The products were interesting. The engineers were great. Once I received the offer, the whole process took U-turn. I like feeling like I'm valued before I start working somewhere.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison.

Interview

It was a telephonic interview. mainly technical round, as was told to me much earlier. They took a 45min interview. Mainly technical round. More of C++ technical questions. A few basic conceptual questions on database were also asked. They discussed about all my projects.

Interview Questions

• Lots of C++ basic questions
       Database questions
      Challenge you faced?

Service Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison.

Interview

One on one with the hiring manager. Quick tour of the facility and the type of equipment to be worked on. Questions related to my experience fixing and maintaining equipment. What kind of tools and test equipment I know how to use.

CNC Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Prospect, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Mount Prospect, IL).

Interview

Very straight forward process. Friendly & professional Mgr. conducted the interview. Answered all my questions. Provided an informative tour of shop and introduced me to the staff I'd be working with. Knew exactly what my job expectations are. Salary, start date and work hours were exactly as promised...

Interview Questions

• Types of CNC and manual machinery I felt comfortable operating. QC process.   1 Answer

Project Engineer/Manager - Mechanical Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

I had applied through a job board and was contacted by the talent acquisition manager. I had a telephone interview with hiring manager followed by onsite interview three managers. The hiring manager seems lost interest after a few questions. I was told that they cannot offer me the project engineer role but are open to a mechanical design engineer role within their organization.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about injection molding part, any sensor technology used in previous job.   Answer Question

Senior Network Security Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Chicago, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR about my skill set and my current position. They asked about why I wanted to leave current job. very general not highly detailed questions. interview admitted he was not the technical person who would later interview me.

Mechanical Design Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Prospect, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Mount Prospect, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Met with the HR representative, and then a few other engineers (each separately). Fairly simple and straightforward process. Very traditional workplace/culture, people didn't seem to be all that excited about working there. One interviewer in particular seemed to be very disinterested in everything that I had to say, which was very discouraging and definitely left me with a bad taste in my mouth when I left the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to become an engineer? Can you tell me about your class projects and past experience a little bit more? How did you make sure your project was on track when you were working on it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison in March 2016.

Interview

There was a phone interview that lasted for an hour. The recruiter asked me rapid fire questions and to answer them as quick as possible. Then I was invited for an in-person interview which lasted for another hour. I interviewed with the head of software engineering, who asked me some questions. Then I met with my manager, who asked me both personality questions and technical questions. Overall, it was a pretty smooth interview process.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me what a friend is? (technical term)
      Can you tell me the difference between abstract classes and interfaces?
      Can you tell me the difference between a stack and a queue?
      Draw me a software model for a chicken.

Customer Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison (Greenville, SC) in June 2015.

Interview

Spoke about different products that would be serviced, followed by a test in 3 areas. Computers, Electrical, and Mechanical. After test spoke about training (8 weeks in Chicago) and pay.

Interview Questions

• Basic Windows questions, hotkeys for things etc. (pretty easy questions.)
      Math related mechanical questions involving gears. (ridiculous questions that have no practicality in the field.)
      Basic electrical questions involving ac and dc voltage. (mixture of easy and trivial questions.)
      Answer Question

Pay was not equal to the amount of trouble or work involved.

Mechanical Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins-Allison.

Interview

Brief Phone interview followed by face to face interview on site. They asked mostly behavioral questions and about my previous experience, it was laid back as compared to other interviews I have had. Before the interview I was taken on brief tour of their campus which I appreciated. Many interviews I have, overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• If we were to go to references, what be the one negative comment they would have?   Answer Question