Cummins Controls Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

On campus interview by two very nice Indian engineers

They follow a standard questions sheet which is identical for every interview on that day. Basically they repeat some similar behavior questions three times, such as how you deal with controversial problem or conflict with co-workers. So prepare some different materials for same problem if you can.

The two engineers replied my thank you letter but I didn't hear back from them regarding next step. SInce I only has the contact info from engineers, that won't help much if I cant get in touch with HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you FAILED to meet the deadline.
    How you deal with a sensitive topic in a public meeting   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Orlando, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed directly by an electronics talent scout at the HEENAC Conference. I did not have to go through HR because the talent scout was able to make both the technical and behavioral interview questions. Since I was a college hire, the questions were mostly behavioral and a few were controls related.The behavior questions were situations that helped the recruiter assess me in the core values of Cummins, such as integrity.

Interview Questions

• Describe a controls system by showing the interactions between inputs and outputs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as the package was good and I was a college hire.

Controls Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. First was a 30 minute long behavioral interview while the second was an hour long technical interview.
    The interviewers were really polite and asked questions related to Cummins values and also questions about my previous job experiences.

Interview Questions

• How is control systems applied in a diesel engine?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in March 2013.

Interview

Meet with multiple members of the technical staff. Technical discussions on a variety of topics. Plant tour with emphasis on the areas that I would be working in, Follow up after the tour with HR to explain the rest of the process. Total time on the interview was about 6 hours.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a set of drawings that had been submitted by a supplier and asked how I would handle the approval process.   1 Answer

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Swift & cooperative.
    Contacted by HR for scheduling a phone interview & then was asked for on site interview.
    1st round: 1 hour
    2nd round: 1 hour
    Process was smooth. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interview Questions

• Behavioral & technical questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in August 2013.

Interview

There were three interviews.
    1) Technical Questions
    2) Your Experiences
    3) What interests you (helps for placement)

All three interviews were over the phone and they were very clear on what was going to happen. At the end of the interview, they told you right then and there if we should expect another phone interview in the near future.

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in March 2012.

Interview

I got the chance to know about CUMMINS in Purdue's career fair. It is the only few companies that support H1B employee status.
    First interview was with two people. All the question are about the behaviors. Second interview was with hiring manager. A phone call about an hour, technical questions and answers.

Interview Questions

• Behavior:
      What is the most difficult situation that you run into?
      How did you deal with conflict with colleagues?

Technical:
      How to filter out sensor's noise?
      How to design a controller?   Answer Question

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Gainesville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Talked to a recruiter on university's career showcase and was asked to apply online. Received a phone call right after the showcase to schedule an on-campus interview.

2. Had behavior interview on campus. It should be a 2:1 interview, one HR and one engineer. But I was interviewed only by the engineer because the HR went for lunch.
    Lasted for 45 mins.

3. Got an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks after the on-campus interview. Interviewed by a control engineer. He tried to get me relaxed by talking about my interests, hobbies for the first several minutes. Then followed by some technical questions. The interviewee tried to dig deep into my answer until I was unable to explain any more.
    Lasted for about 1 hour.

4. Received a phone call from Columbus, IN requiring for some personal information. Then contacted the next day providing me two positions to choose from.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral questions were about:
      1) brief self-introduction
      2) Explain each experience listed on resume.
      3) What if you give you customer wrong information.
      4) Handle with several projects at the same time.
      4) Have different opinions with your leader.
      5) Conflicts with team members/colleagues.

Some of the technical questions were about:
      1) What's the difference between classic control and modern control.
      2) What's the condition for a system to be stable. What will happen if it gets unstable.
      3) Give a rough design of a cruise control system.
      4) What is a vector table in microcontroller programming?
      5) How does an interrupt work.
      6) Describe the way a sensor works in your project.   3 Answers

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed by a 3rd party company in Jan '11. It was behavioral. Then I did not hear anything from them until August. I had an technical interview with Hiring manager on 25th Aug '11. I did not hear back from them since then. I emailed and called the HR but there was no response. Worst recruiting process I have ever seen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

They came for a university careeer fair where I have a 1:1 interview. Then within a week they took a second round of telephonic interview. Then, I get to know my results within a week of the interview. Most of the questions are behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation when you had a conflict with the team mates and how do you resolve that?   Answer Question