Cummins Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cummins Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2017

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineer Interview

Interview

The process included a phone interview along with a in person panel interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Orlando, FL) in October 2012.

Interview

Very straightforward process. Questions were geared towards understanding fit with company culture, i.e. mostly behavioral type questions, few technical. The questioned focus on team work experiences, success and failures stories and what done about them. The interviewer allowed time for questions and shared experience in the company, very engaging and warm approach.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cummins (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2012.

Interview

It was held in a break-out room at their Fridley location. I sat with 3 managers. Most of of the questions were process was personality. They wanted to make sure I would be a good fit. They did ask a few, pretty easy, technical questions to see how I processed information.

Interview Questions

• Mostly personality, but they did ask some technical questions like how does a generator make and convert power to electricity, nothing too difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in March 2012.

Interview

On campus interview. Then On-site interview. They delayed in sending an offer letter by a month. Had a positive experience through the whole interview process. Ensure to research the company prior to the interview. Learn about their new products and existing products out in the field. Read brochures on how their technology works and meets customer requirements.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions on Engines   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied through university. Within the same week , I was emailed by the recruiting team and it was a bunch of behavioral questions. The next week I was interviewed by the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• When you present in front of people, how do u make sure that they understand what you are saying?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

My initial communication with Cummins was at a collegiate career fair. I gave a recruiter my resume, spoke face to face for a bit, and expressed interest in being a design engineer. A few weeks later I received a surprise phone interview. During the interview I had to answer technical questions, personality questions, and time & situation management questions. The total interview time was about 30 minutes, and there was no follow-up interview.

My advise for interviewees is to try to be yourself without coming across as sounding arrogant. Also, when you are asked technical questions, it's alright to pause for a minute to think of a good answer.

Interview Questions

• Why would might you use a long bolt in double shear as opposed to a shorter bolt?   Answer Question
    • How do you work through the conceptual part of a design process?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an excellent offer right out of the box that did not require extensive negotiation. The one thing that I did need to change, my start date, was easily changed during my confirmation communication.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

Basically It took 3 interviews
    1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours.

Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new.

Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc.

Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job.
    Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in February 2011.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Applied online and got a call months later. Did one phone interview and passed the behavioral interview portion. Then interviewed with an employee for a technical interview and passed it as well. Will do doing a campus interview next.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in January 2011.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview at first. Every questions asked were pretty much behavioral. Then had a phone interview with the hiring manager after a month. Similar interview questions on the resume. Then after that had an on-site visit. The on-site visit is basically to check out whether you fit into the team. Had to meet a couple of managers-even a meeting.