Cummins Mechanical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.9

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cummins (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was simple and the interviewer seemed nice, I got my interview rescheduled as the interviewer was on a leave. The interview was conducted the next day and I was asked some general behavioral questions

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Did an internship the summer before and was directly given a job offer. No formal interview for this position.

There we 2 interviews for the internship position. The first was a behavioral interview and the second was a functional interview.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in October 2015.

Interview

I applied through college career fair. Received a phone interview request one week later. The interview was 30 minutes. Asked general behavior questions based on the resume. It was a little awkward since he was typing as I was answering the questions so he didn't pay as much attention to my answers. Followed with basic introduction to their fuel system department. Also need to submit profile on their online system.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Have you failed your co-workers expectation and what did you learn from it?
      Have you worked with someone you dislike?
      Answer Question

Mechanical Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in October 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy application process as I had applied through the university recruitment website and was called for an on campus interview within two weeks.
    The first round was a behavioral interview with two interviewers, who asked 4 basic behavioral questions and then opened the floor for questions from me.
    They were very cordial and made me feel very comfortable during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions

• Have you had to incorporate a new technology in your daily activities? How did you do it?   Answer Question
    • Have you taken the first initiative in any situation?   Answer Question

Applied Mechanics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in October 2015.

Interview

Functional interview over the phone. Questions were both behavioral and technical in nature. Basically figuring out if you fit with Cummins culture and are somewhat technically competent. If you know mechanics of materials you should do well. Great communication for setting up phone interview and following up.

Applied Mechanics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins in October 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application online. Received mail to schedule behavioral interview. The Glassdoor responses were really helpful. The questions were almost similar. Then next was technical interview. This was conducted by the head of applied mechanics dept. Started of with general questions on my previous experience and then moved to specific questions the job demands.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (State College, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

I'm an international graduate student. This is my first month at the United States and my first time to a career fair. The interviewer was so nice and patient. He repeated his questions for several times to help me understand him because my English was not very good. A beautiful girl who was also international sat beside the senior man and record my answers. The interview went smoothly and I got the chance of phone interview. I think they care a lot about what you have done. If you have some direct experience on engine design. You probably will get into the next round.

Interview Questions

• Seven questions:
      why cummins
      what make you stand out
      how to deal with complex systems
      when you fail one time, how to deal the second time (give example)
      give an example of not data-driven decision
      when get ambitious instruction, how do you react
      when you don’t get much support, how to persuade others.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Las Cruces, NM) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Met with recruiters at campus event =>> was asked to do an interview. First Interview was behavioral, they asked me a lot of questions about cultural diversity, handling issues in the workplace, problems solving, ability to work with teams, pros and cons of working with teams. They called me about a month after the career fair to follow up with me about a functional interview. Hopefully I'll be having that functional interview soon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used cultural experience from a culturally diverse team member to solve a problem. Describe aspects of working with culturally diverse team members.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Applied through my university. First interview with as a sitdown 45 minute interview with a head engineer and then the second was a hour long technical interview over the phone. The whole process took about 2 months to complete. After the first interview, I knew that Cummins wasn't the place for me, but I decided I wanted to see the process through to the end. It was a good experience , but I was very happy to accept an offer elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Why Cummins?
      What do you know about Cummins?
      1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process begins with a HR interview. This is followed by a Technical Interview for about an hour after 4 weeks. Next step is a decision on an offer or a on-site interview. I am waiting to hear about this. Process is easy. My interviewer for the second one seemed pressed for time.