D. E. Shaw Research Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw Research Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at D. E. Shaw Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen and then onsite interview. Onsite interview was pretty easy, with questions on algorithms, drugs and chemical fields. Many of the people did not appear knowledgable of field outside their focus. Questions asked include design a algorithm to effeciently find out new drug molecules.

Interview Questions

• Design a algorithm to effeciently find out new drug molecules.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw Research

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

DESRES typically reaches out to you first. Initial phone screen, then 5 interviews on-site in New York. I was impressed by how they are looking for in-depth thinkers, rather than specific skills or traits. Most interns fall into one of three categories: 1. The software engineers, 2. The Algorithm Designers, 3. The Chemists/Biologists who use the simulator.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions about your background going in depth on chemistry, statistics, proteins, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Delayed negotiation period, so I accepted another offer.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research.

Interview

Applied at career fair at my university for a Software Engineering internship. This was followed by phone screens. The first phone screen went well and a second was scheduled. Was not quizzed much on my CS skills as much as my understanding of basic biology and chemistry.

Interview Questions

• project discussions, basic computational biology, modeling protein folding using machine learning   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview for an hour. On site interview yet to come. The interview over the phone was super fun. Just asked questions about my research and experience with computational biophysics. Some questions about algorithms that I couldn't answer directly but were more to see my thought process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied through their website and was contacted for a phone interview. I passed that, then was contacted for a second phone interview. I interviewed for a force field development intern position. First interview was technical about knowledge, second was about relevancy.

Interview Questions

• How much computational chemistry knowledge do you have?   Answer Question