D. E. Shaw Research Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at D. E. Shaw Research

3.4

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Friendly, encouraging, very long. All the people I met were nice. They had mixed feelings about their work, though everyone loved their coworkers. I met the recruiter at a networking event, and was brought in for several in-person interviews. I met with people from different teams.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical situations about problems arising while executives travel.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw Research

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was a good interview. First had a one-hour phone interview covering a very large set of topics from mathematical optimization, to machine learning, to programming (DP and some other questions on NumPy/SciPy's performance), to differential equations.

It took a little while, but about four weeks after I was called to be flown out to an interview in NY at DESRES headquarters. Had a good experience with everyone I met who all seemed extremely intelligent. Most parts of the interview went well, as I was asked about my research, some game theory/probability theory, and to write some very simple optimization problems for ML (LLS, mostly), but I faltered a bit on programming and somewhat simple bit manipulation I think due to my nervousness. The interviewer actively helped me out in order to finish the problem and was super nice. Afterwards, I was shown around the office to see Anton 2 in the fishbowl. The whole interview process was about 4-5 hours, if I recall correctly, but definitely no longer and likely a bit shorter.

Interview Questions

• Consider having some complicated system to which you would like to fit some arbitrary (finite) basis to: you have a few examples of inputs and outputs. Give a matrix equation or algorithm that will predict other values that are close to the system's likely outputs based on the data assuming you know nothing about the system.

Now, you find that the weights are too dependent on some parameters and are larger than you would like; in particular, you see that you'd like to enforce the average to be something close to a value g. How would you do this?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your research project and presentation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

Technical interview. Questions about my resume followed by technical questions about the particular field I was applying for.

Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in April 2010.

Interview

I was working with a recruiter who set up the interview for me. I did not like not having one-on-one contact with the company, but this is how recruiters sometimes work. The time was scheduled and I got the call. A nice fellow he was an astrophysicist and we were able to connect on that front. I told him about the different projects that I had worked on, differing levels of detail. He told me a bit about how DESRES worked, the data pipeline. Conversation ended on a good note. There were no technical questions that I recall.

Recruiter contacted me a couple of weeks later, they didn't have anything for me at that time, but would keep my resume around if something came up.

Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in March 2007.

Interview

emailed info, emailed about record, emailed resume, emailed about interview, questions via email, travel planning, airline, etc, visit to company, interviewed by staff 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, questions asked, discussion of background, discussion of expectations, discussion of education, discussion of type of work and different kinds of positions