D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Generalist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Generalist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and after a month, got notified for a phone interview with a manager. Overall very friendly conversation. Mainly asked about my background, experience, why I'm interested in the firm etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn something new, and how did you make sure you learned it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

I spent the whole day in New York meeting a half dozen people: I sat in a room, and one would leave and another would come in. At some point, I was given an hour to go find lunch and then come back. The conversations were all very pleasant. The employees at Shaw are smart, interesting, cool people you don't mind spending time with. The day flew by.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about books. I came from teaching English. We talked about Renaissance literature. They also asked a lot of questions designed to see if I could do 9 to 5 after having been an academic.   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting and was given a phone screen. The screen consisted of resume-specific questions with a couple of behaviorals. The interviewer was friendly and left enough time for my questions. Overall, the process was organized and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had structure an ambiguous problem   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to present information in an easy to understand way   Answer Question
    • A few resume-specific questions, nothing particularly unexpected   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

got an email from school visit to the firm for a phone interview, had a good conversation for the phone interview and was flown in for a day of 1-1 interviews. liked the people and culture, also the opportunity presented by the position

Interview Questions

• no real technical questions   1 Answer