D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

3.3

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Interview

interviewed by employees that weren't in the corporate development department. they were all analysts. HR recruiter was incredibly nice. I interviewed at the DE Shaw HQ in NYC, stayed in a nice hotel. All support staff at the firm were amicable. Traders lacked passion and/or any insight into their own desired professional trajectories, which was disconcerting (they're robots basically).

Interview Questions

• a bunch of probabilistic brain teasers -- a poor, basic means to assessing "fitness" to the prospective job at hand.   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and after a month, got notified for a phone interview with a manager. Overall very friendly conversation. Mainly asked about my background, experience, why I'm interested in the firm etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn something new, and how did you make sure you learned it?   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Call - 30 min ; then multiple interviewers onsite. Most interviewers were very nice. It was very in-depth probing. There's no way to 'study' for this. The HR team was not prepared though. They were nice enough. I knew I answered a question incorrectly on the 3rd interview. That interview was cut short and I was told I was done for the day. Typically it's a full day interview...Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a user brings you a pc that is acting 'weird'? You suspect malware.   1 Answer
    • How does Kerberos work?   1 Answer
    • Public and private key vs symmetric encryption?   1 Answer
    • Do you know python? Diff btw that and bash shell.   1 Answer
    • How would you install DLP hardware for email?   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

I spent the whole day in New York meeting a half dozen people: I sat in a room, and one would leave and another would come in. At some point, I was given an hour to go find lunch and then come back. The conversations were all very pleasant. The employees at Shaw are smart, interesting, cool people you don't mind spending time with. The day flew by.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about books. I came from teaching English. We talked about Renaissance literature. They also asked a lot of questions designed to see if I could do 9 to 5 after having been an academic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I met the recruiter at the career fair, they scheduled two phone interviews and then one on-site-interview. They were super nice and friendly and you could see how smart every one is. Mostly from top schools (MIT, Stanford, Caltech ...). They all asked about my research first (in details) and then a few questions of their own including brain teasers, statistics, probability, algorithm and programing (They all write in Python but you can choose any language you want to answer the question). It was mostly probability of course because I was applying for a quant position.
    Get rdy to answer your research in details and precise, make it interesting and related to their works, I tried to show myself to be very passionate (I truly am passionate actually) about my work and explained both theoretical and practical parts of it.
    Show confidence, eye contact, encourage them to ask questions and make sure they understand why your work is interesting and how you apply your mathematical skills to solve the problem. Especially emphasize on your statistical skills which is important for a quant.
    After six interviews and a lunch in a fancy place with a full timer, I went back to hotel and slept for hours! I was super tired! :))
    Right after the interviews the recruiter told me they are very impressed, she showed me the whole company and explained about the working environment.
    The day after, they asked me for a coding sample, writing sample and two references, ( I was lucky, my advisor at Caltech supported me very well as the reference, they mentioned that later). Then after a very long background check they asked me for another interview (not technical this time) and they gave me the offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• First, questions about my research. (or the work you are proud of the most)
      Routine behavioral questions,
      probability and algorithm problems and brain teaser which I don't remember, it was a month ago.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Just asked brain-teaser questions. A lot of small questions. Most of them is about probability. Did not mention the resume. Then asked about why choosing their company and tell me about the work environment.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was invited to one of their career fairs. I went to the career fair and met with some members of the development and trading teams. I then applied immediately afterward. I didn't hear back for over 2 months until they emailed me saying that they were not going to set up an interview. I was very disappointed - why even ask someone to take the time to attend your event if you are not even going to treat them decently and at least give them a first round phone interview afterward? I have worked at two of the Big 4 companies and was expecting at least a first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, received an phone interview request a couple of weeks later. Then the in-house interview. The in-house interview is divided into two sessions: morning 3 and afternoon 2. Only candidates who pass the morning session would have the opportunity to have lunch with one of the employees and the following afternoon session.

Generalist Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Trashy interview process. Had 2 different HRs scheduling for my interview. Applied for Corp Development position but was eventually interviewed for Risk! The guy who interviewed me was even 19 min late... Not respectful for the interviewee's time at all. I was quite impressed by how disorganized this place could be. Really. Over-rated! Really. And those HRs who are messing up with candidates' messages should resign from their positions... Stop destroying people's future anymore plz. I already e-mailed them about the experience and asked if they had messed things up. I will be waiting for their response, if they will reply...

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, then got an email 3-4 weeks later inviting me to a phone interview. They didn't say the interview would be technical, but I was expecting it to be. Interview was poorly conducted; the questions were theoretical and more about running code than actually writing code. Ended the interview on a probability brainteaser, which was fun but I didn't get it. Was not invited for the second round.
    My advice: study up on some core concepts about runtime versus compilation, data structures, etc

Interview Questions

• What are some things that work in C++ that don't work in C?   Answer Question