D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.3

Facilities Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was long but satisfying. It took 3 months to get from the first to the 2nd round of interviews. Everyone that I interviewed with was great and genuinely wanted to connect with me on a personal level.

After the interview process things went downhill. I was offered the position and accepted but the offer was taken back due to a minor detail missing from my resume that shouldn't not have affected my standing with them. The lack of communication between departments during the hiring process was awful and was asked for the same information several times by different people.

I am sure this is a GREAT organization and wouldn't hesitate to go through it all again. I just believe at some point they are too strict for their own good during their selection process and in turn they let great employees slip through their fingers.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Systems Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

It was easy to schedule the phone interview. The interviewer was polite and friendly. They asked me a series of questions about system troubleshooting. I got a response from that interview after roughly 1 week.

Interview Questions

• A computer crashes with a blue screen. Walk through your steps to diagnose and fix the issue.   Answer Question
    • Your mother calls you and tells you she can't get the Internet to work. Walk through your directions and decisions to help her fix the problem.   Answer Question
    • You are on-call for IT support during your lunch break. You receive a call from an employee on the floor above asking you to help fix his computer. You decline saying you are finishing your lunch. You hang up, and immediately receive a phone call from the CEO of the company, who is on the top floor of the building. What do you do?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

45 minute phone screen. Friendly interviewer. Started by asking me about my research and why I wanted to switch to the financial industry. Also asked why I was applying to their specific company. Then transitioned to brain teasers / probability questions. More enjoyable interview compared to others I've had in this field. Sad I didn't move to the next round. A very polite rejection email. Seemed personalized instead of generic.

Interview Questions

• Questions about research and then probability puzzles.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Had to go through a phone screen, which was some coding via an online editor. After that there was an onsite at their offices. The offices were really nice. Overall the process was very streamlined and professional. Everyone that I met was very nice and courteous and have been working there for many years. I can see why they have the reputation that they do and no one wants to leave.

Interview Questions

• Typical CS type interview questions but with more a focus on math type problems.   Answer Question

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Interview

interviewed by employees that weren't in the corporate development department. they were all analysts. HR recruiter was incredibly nice. I interviewed at the DE Shaw HQ in NYC, stayed in a nice hotel. All support staff at the firm were amicable. Traders lacked passion and/or any insight into their own desired professional trajectories, which was disconcerting (they're robots basically).

Interview Questions

• a bunch of probabilistic brain teasers -- a poor, basic means to assessing "fitness" to the prospective job at hand.   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and after a month, got notified for a phone interview with a manager. Overall very friendly conversation. Mainly asked about my background, experience, why I'm interested in the firm etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn something new, and how did you make sure you learned it?   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Call - 30 min ; then multiple interviewers onsite. Most interviewers were very nice. It was very in-depth probing. There's no way to 'study' for this. The HR team was not prepared though. They were nice enough. I knew I answered a question incorrectly on the 3rd interview. That interview was cut short and I was told I was done for the day. Typically it's a full day interview...Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a user brings you a pc that is acting 'weird'? You suspect malware.   1 Answer
    • How does Kerberos work?   1 Answer
    • Public and private key vs symmetric encryption?   1 Answer
    • Do you know python? Diff btw that and bash shell.   1 Answer
    • How would you install DLP hardware for email?   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Application

Interview

I spent the whole day in New York meeting a half dozen people: I sat in a room, and one would leave and another would come in. At some point, I was given an hour to go find lunch and then come back. The conversations were all very pleasant. The employees at Shaw are smart, interesting, cool people you don't mind spending time with. The day flew by.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about books. I came from teaching English. We talked about Renaissance literature. They also asked a lot of questions designed to see if I could do 9 to 5 after having been an academic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I met the recruiter at the career fair, they scheduled two phone interviews and then one on-site-interview. They were super nice and friendly and you could see how smart every one is. Mostly from top schools (MIT, Stanford, Caltech ...). They all asked about my research first (in details) and then a few questions of their own including brain teasers, statistics, probability, algorithm and programing (They all write in Python but you can choose any language you want to answer the question). It was mostly probability of course because I was applying for a quant position.
    Get rdy to answer your research in details and precise, make it interesting and related to their works, I tried to show myself to be very passionate (I truly am passionate actually) about my work and explained both theoretical and practical parts of it.
    Show confidence, eye contact, encourage them to ask questions and make sure they understand why your work is interesting and how you apply your mathematical skills to solve the problem. Especially emphasize on your statistical skills which is important for a quant.
    After six interviews and a lunch in a fancy place with a full timer, I went back to hotel and slept for hours! I was super tired! :))
    Right after the interviews the recruiter told me they are very impressed, she showed me the whole company and explained about the working environment.
    The day after, they asked me for a coding sample, writing sample and two references, ( I was lucky, my advisor at Caltech supported me very well as the reference, they mentioned that later). Then after a very long background check they asked me for another interview (not technical this time) and they gave me the offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• First, questions about my research. (or the work you are proud of the most)
      Routine behavioral questions,
      probability and algorithm problems and brain teaser which I don't remember, it was a month ago.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Just asked brain-teaser questions. A lot of small questions. Most of them is about probability. Did not mention the resume. Then asked about why choosing their company and tell me about the work environment.