D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

45 minute phone screen. Friendly interviewer. Started by asking me about my research and why I wanted to switch to the financial industry. Also asked why I was applying to their specific company. Then transitioned to brain teasers / probability questions. More enjoyable interview compared to others I've had in this field. Sad I didn't move to the next round. A very polite rejection email. Seemed personalized instead of generic.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Acquired the interview through campus recruiting. Submitted my resume online and was selected for an on -campus first round interview. This was a one-on-one interview with a junior level associate. First half of the interview was strictly behavioral followed by technical finance questions and a few brainteasers.

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with 2 hard questions (one involving graph theory). Then 3 on-site interviews involving probability, algorithms and complex analysis. They stress that they have a very academic culture. The questions were quite difficult and I don't imagine that it has anything to actually do with the job, but rather just how you think.

Interview Questions

• What is the contour integral of (e^z)/(z^6) over |z| = 1.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Had to go through a phone screen, which was some coding via an online editor. After that there was an onsite at their offices. The offices were really nice. Overall the process was very streamlined and professional. Everyone that I met was very nice and courteous and have been working there for many years. I can see why they have the reputation that they do and no one wants to leave.

Interview Questions

• Typical CS type interview questions but with more a focus on math type problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in August 2008.

Interview

Applied over the web. They responded by email and set up a tech interivew over the phone. I was then called down for a full day inerview. They took me out to lunch to a nice restaurant.

They advertised for a particular skill but expected broad knowledge. The questioning was vigorous but polite. They asked me to solve puzzles and riddles. Similar to a microsoft interview.

According to wiki, they hire only 1 out of 100 those interviewed.

Interview Questions

• GIven 9 balls all of which weigh the same except for one, what is the minimum of weighings necessary to find the ball weighs more (or less).   28 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

45 minute technical phone screen. Leetcode hard: stock price 4. But here's the weird thing: no Coderpad or HackerRank link. You're supposed to just verbally explain your solution over the phone. Can they not afford a Coderpad subscription? Anyways, I solved it and declined moving on because I already had other offers.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

only brainteaser asked was what is the expected value of a dice roll? Answer is 3.5.
    otherwise pretty standard walk me through your resume type questions and some brief questions about the firm's culture. Good to read up on that if you can, they are very proud of how chilled out they are.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a dice roll?   1 Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in April 2019.

Interview

Submitted application in December, spoke with a recruiter on the phone, contacted the following week by the hiring manager, then contacted the following week for in person interview, interviewed from 10am-3pm. Spoke with 8 people; got a tour of the office; ended day speaking with a person from HR. Very very long day.

Interview Questions

• The day began with a small quiz to check my ability to identify grammatical, numerical, and computational errors. I thoroughly enjoyed all the interviews because they were more like conversations and it seemed like they were all interested in seeing if I was a fit. Some of the most frequent questions: "tell me about a time when you had to solve a challenging problem?" "what are some of your interests?" "tell me about a time when you had to adopt a creative solution to a problem in the workplace?" The hiring manager asked me questions specific to my industry to see how I think.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to a phone interview one month later. Immediately after the interview, I was invited to an in-person interview in NYC. The in-person interview consisted of 3 1:1 interviews with analysts and MDs. After the interview, I was informed of my status in one business day.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a challenge you once faced in your research.   Answer Question
    • How might a new company enter a particular market?   Answer Question
    • Describe your research process when approaching new or unfamiliar issues.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Hey asked me to discuss how i would design a portfolio of repurchased life insurances. It was truly disgusting because I had to view the death of an individual as a positive thing. Essentially, to develop a well-balanced portfolio we needed to have ensure that there were people dying all of the time.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, and the second one was very strange. There was no conversation (hardly even a hello), and I was only asked one question. I was thinking out loud and as soon as I said that I was stuck on my train of thought, the interviewer ended the interview after only 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Something about the expected value of some quantity (like x + y) over the unit circle   1 Answer