KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add an Interview

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 317 of over 317 interviews

Recruiter15%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Application

Interview

Interviewers were generally smart and for the most part very well informed about the company if not incredibly warm. Extremely typical behavioral questions, generally aimed at getting you to describe extremely specific experiences. Be warned - this is not a candidate first experience. They expect you to speed up when they want you to speed up, and slow down when they're busy. I assume this is typical for finance, but for anyone coming from tech or academia who is used to more patience, information and respect for your time and calendar might find this jarring, as I certainly did. Also, I did a case study for them and it was apparent that only one of the interviewers had reviewed the case study when it came time for my interview. Most interviewers left me with a very positive impression of the company. To prepare I would say definitely come with numbers and data to prove your ability to get results, they are generally unsympathetic to confidentiality so you should dig through your projects and find examples of data you can share.

Interview Questions
  • Can you share about a time you made an error, and about how you handled that error and will prevent it from happening in the future?
    1 Answer

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Application

I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Interview

3 rounds consisting of 2 interviews and a case study where the initial interviews were technical and case study took two weekends to solve. The interviews were general and is from the CV submitted.

Interview Questions
  • Previous roles and how i can contribute to the current role

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Application

Interview

Interviewer seemed to have no idea what was going on - he was very chill but wasn't clear on what position I was even interviewing for. Despite that, he made it clear that the company trains its interns well and is a good environment to work in.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in Jul 2022

Interview

Same as someone else said in one of the reviews , same negative experience. The process was absolutely outrageous and certainly not what I would have expected from a Company with such a great reputation but it has been a total and utter disappointment. They took over 2.5 months since the initial contact until I received the final outcome just to do 2 interviews. After each interview they said that they would let me know the outcome, however, they never did. I was the one I had to keep on chasing them for updates and felt like I was pushing an old car which clearly shows that they never had a genuine interest on me as we all know, when companies are really interested in a candidate they usually move fast in the process not to loose the candidate. In my case like I read in another review, it was just the opposite, they let go past weeks and months wasting my time. At the end of the second interview, I was told that within a week I would hear back, of course, I did not so a week later I contacted them and the answer was to say the least, misleading saying that the interviewers liked me however she still did not have an update about the next steps and that she would let me know as soon as she knew. Of course, as another week went past and she did not let me know, I got in touch with her and then she said that the interviewers liked me but they had decided not to move forward. It is clear to me that had I not chased them for an outcome, they would have never let me know which was their modus operandi throughout the whole process or if they had let me know, it would have been months later when their response would have been of no use as at that point I would have figured out the outcome myself. This behaviour speaks volumes and clearly sends a message that if in the recruitment process they are not straight forward, don't value and respect candidate,s time then this is only an appetizer of what will be waiting for you once you are in!

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Application

I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Interview

It seemed easy but they were judging you very closely. Each and everything was being monitored. Questions from the cv and few technical questions. be well versed with windows systems

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Application

I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Interview

One phone interview on basic algorithm and regression Three one hour interviews: one on coding, one on statistics (general questions from regression to jenson inequality), one with two (relatively difficult) probability questions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Application

I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Interview

Applied online while in grad school, received notification of interview, had ~30 minute phone interview which was principally informational with an intellectual bent. They notified me by email within a reasonable time frame that I was not selected to continue in the process

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in Jun 2022

Interview

Very Difficult as there are many difficult questions, prepare from a great time before, not just one-night study. They stick to the hard-medium level concepts rather than just too basic questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (London, England)

Interview

one-on-one with an entry level employee. 30 min zoom interview. very casual yet hard hitting. i was not prepared, it came through - be prepared to answer difficult follow up questions and look composed

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in De Zoom

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (De Zoom) in May 2022

Interview

I was eliminated in round three. Experience is not too important (they will interview regardless), but you have to justify it if you are short on that particular requirement. The position is advertised in-person but then they’ll tell you it’s remote once you interview. I am not sure what it is they’re looking for, honestly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 317 Interviews

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interviews FAQs

Common stages of the interview process at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm according to 277 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 35.70%