D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Quantitative Strategist/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

The process was quite long but it moved very quickly on their end, and my recruiter was very responsive throughout the whole process. Overall, it consisted of a phone call with a recruiter, a technical phone call with a quant, a full day onsite with 4 interviews, and finally having to send them a writing sample, a code sample, and 1-2 references.

The technical interviews were quite challenging. The first technical interview (on the phone) lasted roughly an hour and consisted of me talking about my research for the first half and then 2 technical questions during the second half (probability + applied stats). My interviewer was very friendly, seemed interested in my research, and was helpful when I got stuck on a problem. I thought I bombed it so I was shocked to get invited onsite.

The day of onsite interviews was surprisingly pleasant. I expected it to be very intimidating and cutthroat but actually all my interviewers were friendly and approachable, and seemed interested in me. The way it works is you have three interviews in the morning, and if they like you, you have another interview after lunch. All the interviews followed roughly the same format as the initial technical phone call: talk a bit about my research and then 2-4 technical questions. Some problems were coding-based, and others were more traditional probability and applied stats. After the fourth interview my recruiter let me know that I'd be moving on to the next step, which consisted of sending them a coding sample, a writing sample, and 1-2 references. My recruiter kept me posted as they heard back from my references, and shortly thereafter I got the offer.

It seems like a phenomenal place to work; much more laid back and informal than a traditional hedge fund, and has a very academic feel to it.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

45 min video interview with one employee. Chatted about my past research projects, then asked a couple probability questions. Overall it was a smooth experience and the interviewer would give hints if you get stuck doing the questions.

Interview Questions

• Chatted about my past research projects, then probability questions   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

One phone interview (rather difficult). One on-site interview. The whole interview process was based on brain-teasers. Employees seemed to be very good at their job but at the same time extremely arrogant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

Pleasant. Recruiter was very friendly. I sort of bombed it, didn’t do enough research and got stuck on a resume specific question. Don’t think I would’ve been a good fit anyway.

Interview Questions

• Why DE shaw?

Talk about a project that you did

Interviewer specific questions   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I applied online through the company's website.
    Then I was contacted to schedule a phone interview after two weeks. The interview was scheduled two weeks from the date contacted. The interview consisted of behavioral and technical questions.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2019.

Interview

Four back to back interviews. Interviewers were friendly, no technical questions asked - was a semi-enjoyable experience. The questions were pointed, but not that difficult - the process however was long and tiring.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you have had to take initiative?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

First round is phone interview, followed by superday. First-round was with someone from their IT department which is one of the departments you might be placed to. Interviewer seemed extremely disinterested from the start and looked like he was just going through a list of questions - he definitely wanted to be doing his normal job over intern interviews so not surprised at all about the outcome.

Interview Questions

• What is the approximate weight of all animals in the world?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

First round- phone call with general behavior and resume questions and time to ask the interviewer questions.
    Second round- super day with 5 interviewees, 30min each. Some brainteasers and case study like questions

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate how many people use the Metro-North subway system every day? Whiteboard available   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

By far the worst interview I've ever experienced. It was so bad that I even contemplated on leaving halfway through my onsite interview. The questions weren't difficult but the people that I interviewed with made it impossible to keep a conversation going. The recruiters that I spoke with made it seem like interviewing was a chore for them. One of the interviewers was slouched on on the chair, with their elbow on the table, and their head rested on their hand. The interviewers read off from a list of questions in a stapled packet. There would be time spent idle as you're waiting for them to flip through the packet and find a question that they wanted to ask. It was extremely awkward and uncomfortable experience to say the least. The interviewers overall came off very snarky, as if it's a candidate's privilege to be even interviewing for D.E. Shaw.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you've lead and how you project managed it?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Strung me along for approx 8 weeks. Continued to tell me, "the offer is coming", "just need someone to sign off on the offer", etc. Came in for 1 half day interview and met with 5 different team members. Then was brought in 2 additional times and one of the times the interviewer cancelled on me while I was already onsite and then had a final phone interview. This company had zero regard for my time or schedule. Reference check was extensive.

Interview Questions

• All basic questions about my experience, working style, my background, etc.   Answer Question