D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

140 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

A phone screening is followed by an in person interview. One meets with others who fill this job title, then if they like you they will pass you onto the next person in the line, then finally to the hiring manager. There was also a proofreading test.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Had 4 interviews here for various EA positions. Was recommended for the first 2 then was reached out to by recruiters of DE Shaw for the last two. Recruiters seem very unorganized as they had to me take the same editing test 3 different times - i didn't mind as I feel like I knew the document very well. They also passed me along to a different recruiter who didn't seem to know anything about me or that I have been there previously. Unfortunately, It has gotten to the point where as much as i would love to work at DE Shaw, I refuse to come back in for an interview. Either they want me or they don't, but I won't waste my time (or PTO at my current job) for a place that doesn't want me. I know I would make a great EA for the company of DE Shaw, but at the end of their day it's their loss.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult part of your current job? // What do you dislike most about your current job?   Answer Question

Chief Operating Officer Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Recruiters quickly responded to my application with invitation to interview. Terse interviewer who was not very friendly. He asked standard questions + DEShaw specific questions. The interview was very short.

Facilities Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was long but satisfying. It took 3 months to get from the first to the 2nd round of interviews. Everyone that I interviewed with was great and genuinely wanted to connect with me on a personal level.

After the interview process things went downhill. I was offered the position and accepted but the offer was taken back due to a minor detail missing from my resume that shouldn't not have affected my standing with them. The lack of communication between departments during the hiring process was awful and was asked for the same information several times by different people.

I am sure this is a GREAT organization and wouldn't hesitate to go through it all again. I just believe at some point they are too strict for their own good during their selection process and in turn they let great employees slip through their fingers.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

45 minute phone screen. Friendly interviewer. Started by asking me about my research and why I wanted to switch to the financial industry. Also asked why I was applying to their specific company. Then transitioned to brain teasers / probability questions. More enjoyable interview compared to others I've had in this field. Sad I didn't move to the next round. A very polite rejection email. Seemed personalized instead of generic.

Systems Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

It was easy to schedule the phone interview. The interviewer was polite and friendly. They asked me a series of questions about system troubleshooting. I got a response from that interview after roughly 1 week.

Interview Questions

• A computer crashes with a blue screen. Walk through your steps to diagnose and fix the issue.   Answer Question
    • Your mother calls you and tells you she can't get the Internet to work. Walk through your directions and decisions to help her fix the problem.   Answer Question
    • You are on-call for IT support during your lunch break. You receive a call from an employee on the floor above asking you to help fix his computer. You decline saying you are finishing your lunch. You hang up, and immediately receive a phone call from the CEO of the company, who is on the top floor of the building. What do you do?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Had to go through a phone screen, which was some coding via an online editor. After that there was an onsite at their offices. The offices were really nice. Overall the process was very streamlined and professional. Everyone that I met was very nice and courteous and have been working there for many years. I can see why they have the reputation that they do and no one wants to leave.

Interview Questions

• Typical CS type interview questions but with more a focus on math type problems.   Answer Question

Corporate Development Associate Interview

Interview

interviewed by employees that weren't in the corporate development department. they were all analysts. HR recruiter was incredibly nice. I interviewed at the DE Shaw HQ in NYC, stayed in a nice hotel. All support staff at the firm were amicable. Traders lacked passion and/or any insight into their own desired professional trajectories, which was disconcerting (they're robots basically).

Interview Questions

• a bunch of probabilistic brain teasers -- a poor, basic means to assessing "fitness" to the prospective job at hand.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Call - 30 min ; then multiple interviewers onsite. Most interviewers were very nice. It was very in-depth probing. There's no way to 'study' for this. The HR team was not prepared though. They were nice enough. I knew I answered a question incorrectly on the 3rd interview. That interview was cut short and I was told I was done for the day. Typically it's a full day interview...Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a user brings you a pc that is acting 'weird'? You suspect malware.   1 Answer
    • How does Kerberos work?   1 Answer
    • Public and private key vs symmetric encryption?   1 Answer
    • Do you know python? Diff btw that and bash shell.   1 Answer
    • How would you install DLP hardware for email?   Answer Question

Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and after a month, got notified for a phone interview with a manager. Overall very friendly conversation. Mainly asked about my background, experience, why I'm interested in the firm etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn something new, and how did you make sure you learned it?   Answer Question