D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.3

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone Call - 30 min ; then multiple interviewers onsite. Most interviewers were very nice. It was very in-depth probing. There's no way to 'study' for this. The HR team was not prepared though. They were nice enough. I knew I answered a question incorrectly on the 3rd interview. That interview was cut short and I was told I was done for the day. Typically it's a full day interview...Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a user brings you a pc that is acting 'weird'? You suspect malware.   1 Answer
    • How does Kerberos work?   1 Answer
    • Public and private key vs symmetric encryption?   1 Answer
    • Do you know python? Diff btw that and bash shell.   1 Answer
    • How would you install DLP hardware for email?   Answer Question

Proprietary Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through college or university. The phone interview was extremely intense, with many probability questions and brainteasers. They expect you to solve the problems very quickly, which can put you in pressure. I never got beyond the phone interview, so I can't really tell what to expect. Bayes is your friend. If you aren't the kind of person who solves puzzles and mental games fairly often, you might have a difficult time. I don't think there is any way to ace it unless you have the natural talent.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Bengaluru (India)).

Interview

The interview consisted of 2 rounds, an aptitude test and a technical round. The aptitude test was very difficult and had questions commonly asked during gmat exams, the technical round was worse.

Interview Questions

• The difference between cash and cash equivalent and working capital   Answer Question

Manager Risk Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New Delhi (India)) in February 2014.

Interview

not very convincing, they need to work on face to face interview instead of paper writing, interviewer was full of himself not understanding the candidate, overall they should scrap the written exam process and focus of Gd and 1:1

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in December 2012.

Interview

phone interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in August 2008.

Interview

Applied over the web. They responded by email and set up a tech interivew over the phone. I was then called down for a full day inerview. They took me out to lunch to a nice restaurant.

They advertised for a particular skill but expected broad knowledge. The questioning was vigorous but polite. They asked me to solve puzzles and riddles. Similar to a microsoft interview.

According to wiki, they hire only 1 out of 100 those interviewed.

Interview Questions

• GIven 9 balls all of which weigh the same except for one, what is the minimum of weighings necessary to find the ball weighs more (or less).   28 Answers

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied through their website, had a first round interview via phone, and ultimately a super day at their office in midtown. The people were nice but very quantitatively-minded and very insistent on technical finance knowledge.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in August 2017.

Interview

Initial shortlisting was done based on minimum CGPA requirement . Further shortlisting based on online test in the hackerrank platform . Interviews on fundamentals of Programming language and networking questions .

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

A phone screening is followed by an in person interview. One meets with others who fill this job title, then if they like you they will pass you onto the next person in the line, then finally to the hiring manager. There was also a proofreading test.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Had to go through a phone screen, which was some coding via an online editor. After that there was an onsite at their offices. The offices were really nice. Overall the process was very streamlined and professional. Everyone that I met was very nice and courteous and have been working there for many years. I can see why they have the reputation that they do and no one wants to leave.

Interview Questions

• Typical CS type interview questions but with more a focus on math type problems.   Answer Question