D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I met the recruiter at the career fair, they scheduled two phone interviews and then one on-site-interview. They were super nice and friendly and you could see how smart every one is. Mostly from top schools (MIT, Stanford, Caltech ...). They all asked about my research first (in details) and then a few questions of their own including brain teasers, statistics, probability, algorithm and programing (They all write in Python but you can choose any language you want to answer the question). It was mostly probability of course because I was applying for a quant position.
    Get rdy to answer your research in details and precise, make it interesting and related to their works, I tried to show myself to be very passionate (I truly am passionate actually) about my work and explained both theoretical and practical parts of it.
    Show confidence, eye contact, encourage them to ask questions and make sure they understand why your work is interesting and how you apply your mathematical skills to solve the problem. Especially emphasize on your statistical skills which is important for a quant.
    After six interviews and a lunch in a fancy place with a full timer, I went back to hotel and slept for hours! I was super tired! :))
    Right after the interviews the recruiter told me they are very impressed, she showed me the whole company and explained about the working environment.
    The day after, they asked me for a coding sample, writing sample and two references, ( I was lucky, my advisor at Caltech supported me very well as the reference, they mentioned that later). Then after a very long background check they asked me for another interview (not technical this time) and they gave me the offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• First, questions about my research. (or the work you are proud of the most)
      Routine behavioral questions,
      probability and algorithm problems and brain teaser which I don't remember, it was a month ago.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Just asked brain-teaser questions. A lot of small questions. Most of them is about probability. Did not mention the resume. Then asked about why choosing their company and tell me about the work environment.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was invited to one of their career fairs. I went to the career fair and met with some members of the development and trading teams. I then applied immediately afterward. I didn't hear back for over 2 months until they emailed me saying that they were not going to set up an interview. I was very disappointed - why even ask someone to take the time to attend your event if you are not even going to treat them decently and at least give them a first round phone interview afterward? I have worked at two of the Big 4 companies and was expecting at least a first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, received an phone interview request a couple of weeks later. Then the in-house interview. The in-house interview is divided into two sessions: morning 3 and afternoon 2. Only candidates who pass the morning session would have the opportunity to have lunch with one of the employees and the following afternoon session.

Generalist Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Trashy interview process. Had 2 different HRs scheduling for my interview. Applied for Corp Development position but was eventually interviewed for Risk! The guy who interviewed me was even 19 min late... Not respectful for the interviewee's time at all. I was quite impressed by how disorganized this place could be. Really. Over-rated! Really. And those HRs who are messing up with candidates' messages should resign from their positions... Stop destroying people's future anymore plz. I already e-mailed them about the experience and asked if they had messed things up. I will be waiting for their response, if they will reply...

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, then got an email 3-4 weeks later inviting me to a phone interview. They didn't say the interview would be technical, but I was expecting it to be. Interview was poorly conducted; the questions were theoretical and more about running code than actually writing code. Ended the interview on a probability brainteaser, which was fun but I didn't get it. Was not invited for the second round.
    My advice: study up on some core concepts about runtime versus compilation, data structures, etc

Interview Questions

• What are some things that work in C++ that don't work in C?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by an onsite with both single and group interviews. The interviews were for the most part non-technical. Although they claimed to be looking for people with general skills, from the questions they asked, they seemed more interested in specific areas of knowledge. It was clear from the first initial interview at the onsite I did not have what they were looking for, so it is unclear why I was even asked to come.

Interview Questions

• A user is unable to install this software. How would you go about diagnosing the problem?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Telephone, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a telephone interview. It was clear that the interviewer was not experienced but that's okay since I'm a fresh graduate myself. i answered the "Tell me about yourself.." type questions with the thought he had my resume in front of him. In the last five minutes I discovered he had never seen my resume. Don't make the assumption they are prepared. Towards the end he asked the 99 lions and the sheep brainteaser. I told him one lion would eat the sheep but upon the other lions seeing what happened there would then be a status quo. This is the technical answer. My error was saying that if you had only three lions and one ate the sheep thus becoming the sheep the remaining two could apply game theory and work together...after all, half a sheep is better than none. This was a mistake. He did not want any out of the box answers. This is interesting since the group has a reputation for innovation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why did you leave last company, and 99 sheep/lion brainteaser.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There is a 45 min phone interview, and they refuse to do it on Skype. Starting with introducing yourself, and then talk about what interests you most in your course of study. They would ask in detail about stuff on your resume like research programs if you have any, which takes the bulk of the time. No other technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What specific contribution did you do in your research program?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

There was one 45 minute phone interview and one on-site interview. They paid for all expenses. They asked me to sign a bilateral non-disclosure agreement before the second interview. The interviewers included two senior employees, two newer employees, and two in between. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions, including a 1-on-1 lunch.

Interview Questions

• Among other things, they asked for a code sample and technical writing sample   1 Answer
    • Presenting a technical subject, making a model   1 Answer