D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.3

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Telephone, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a telephone interview. It was clear that the interviewer was not experienced but that's okay since I'm a fresh graduate myself. i answered the "Tell me about yourself.." type questions with the thought he had my resume in front of him. In the last five minutes I discovered he had never seen my resume. Don't make the assumption they are prepared. Towards the end he asked the 99 lions and the sheep brainteaser. I told him one lion would eat the sheep but upon the other lions seeing what happened there would then be a status quo. This is the technical answer. My error was saying that if you had only three lions and one ate the sheep thus becoming the sheep the remaining two could apply game theory and work together...after all, half a sheep is better than none. This was a mistake. He did not want any out of the box answers. This is interesting since the group has a reputation for innovation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why did you leave last company, and 99 sheep/lion brainteaser.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There is a 45 min phone interview, and they refuse to do it on Skype. Starting with introducing yourself, and then talk about what interests you most in your course of study. They would ask in detail about stuff on your resume like research programs if you have any, which takes the bulk of the time. No other technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What specific contribution did you do in your research program?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

There was one 45 minute phone interview and one on-site interview. They paid for all expenses. They asked me to sign a bilateral non-disclosure agreement before the second interview. The interviewers included two senior employees, two newer employees, and two in between. There were plenty of opportunities to ask questions, including a 1-on-1 lunch.

Interview Questions

• Among other things, they asked for a code sample and technical writing sample   1 Answer
    • Presenting a technical subject, making a model   1 Answer

Investing Role Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Process was nicer than I expected. It is a very relaxed firm. I met a junior guy first, passed that, then met a senior lead and two others who were in a related group for the 'fit' type questions. Enjoyed the discussions. got some brainteasers but they helped me through them. asked back for next round .

Interview Questions

• some probability questions, the rest was pure fit and technical   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Was emailed to participate in a phone interview, was then invited for an on-site interview in NYC, which consisted for 4 back -to-back interviews. Everybody was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and the process moved quickly. HR was easy to get in touch with whenever necessary. It was a great experience, overall.

Interview Questions

• Mainly resume related questions and questions to gauge how you think/respond under pressure   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an interview for an internship position through on-campus recruiting at my university. It was a very quantitative, one on one interview with mostly brainteaser questions and some math problems. I was kind of unsettled by the interviewer. I didn't get past this first round, but I assume they have fit interviews for the later rounds.

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting and was given a phone screen. The screen consisted of resume-specific questions with a couple of behaviorals. The interviewer was friendly and left enough time for my questions. Overall, the process was organized and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had structure an ambiguous problem   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to present information in an easy to understand way   Answer Question
    • A few resume-specific questions, nothing particularly unexpected   Answer Question

Financial Analyst/Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process takes about half an hour before the Asian market opening. At the beginning, we chatted over the market turmoil and then I was asked why China's market is more connected to the global market. Afterwards, I started to go over the resume. But later I found that this position needs a fundamental trader, but I'm more on the quantitative side. So I failed.

Interview Questions

• Why is China's market more connected to the global market?   Answer Question

Proprietary Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through college or university. The phone interview was extremely intense, with many probability questions and brainteasers. They expect you to solve the problems very quickly, which can put you in pressure. I never got beyond the phone interview, so I can't really tell what to expect. Bayes is your friend. If you aren't the kind of person who solves puzzles and mental games fairly often, you might have a difficult time. I don't think there is any way to ace it unless you have the natural talent.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I applied through website and school career website. The first round was a 30 minute phone call. The second and final round was on-site in NYC. The second and final round was on-site in NYC.