D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

3.3

Investing Role Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Process was nicer than I expected. It is a very relaxed firm. I met a junior guy first, passed that, then met a senior lead and two others who were in a related group for the 'fit' type questions. Enjoyed the discussions. got some brainteasers but they helped me through them. asked back for next round .

Interview Questions

• some probability questions, the rest was pure fit and technical   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Was emailed to participate in a phone interview, was then invited for an on-site interview in NYC, which consisted for 4 back -to-back interviews. Everybody was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and the process moved quickly. HR was easy to get in touch with whenever necessary. It was a great experience, overall.

Interview Questions

• Mainly resume related questions and questions to gauge how you think/respond under pressure   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an interview for an internship position through on-campus recruiting at my university. It was a very quantitative, one on one interview with mostly brainteaser questions and some math problems. I was kind of unsettled by the interviewer. I didn't get past this first round, but I assume they have fit interviews for the later rounds.

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting and was given a phone screen. The screen consisted of resume-specific questions with a couple of behaviorals. The interviewer was friendly and left enough time for my questions. Overall, the process was organized and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had structure an ambiguous problem   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to present information in an easy to understand way   Answer Question
    • A few resume-specific questions, nothing particularly unexpected   Answer Question

Financial Analyst/Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process takes about half an hour before the Asian market opening. At the beginning, we chatted over the market turmoil and then I was asked why China's market is more connected to the global market. Afterwards, I started to go over the resume. But later I found that this position needs a fundamental trader, but I'm more on the quantitative side. So I failed.

Interview Questions

• Why is China's market more connected to the global market?   Answer Question

Proprietary Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through college or university. The phone interview was extremely intense, with many probability questions and brainteasers. They expect you to solve the problems very quickly, which can put you in pressure. I never got beyond the phone interview, so I can't really tell what to expect. Bayes is your friend. If you aren't the kind of person who solves puzzles and mental games fairly often, you might have a difficult time. I don't think there is any way to ace it unless you have the natural talent.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I applied through website and school career website. The first round was a 30 minute phone call. The second and final round was on-site in NYC. The second and final round was on-site in NYC.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward interview process. I submitted my resume through an agency and was informed that D.E. Shaw wanted to interview me. When I got there, I met the Director of Recruitment who took me to a room where I waited for the interviewers to come. I had no idea who I would be meeting with beforehand. I ended up being interviewed by 2 EAs that I would be working with. They both were very nice and asked general background and resume questions.

Quantitative Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The first round interview consisted of a forty-five minute telephone conversation. Spent the first ten minutes discussing my background and experience. The interviewer was friendly and seemed genuinely interested. Asked several questions and talked through the answers. The interviewer gave a hint when I got stuck on one. The process was pretty friendly.

Interview Questions

• How to find the largest product of 3 numbers in an array.   1 Answer

Corporate Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

1-2 phone interviews, 1-2 on-sites. I had a very negative phone screen where my nontechnical interviewer kept calling my coding projects "low hanging fruit" and saying they seemed very simple to implement. It was extremely condescending, and I decided not to continue with the interview at that point. It's a shame, because I had positive experiences with this company in the past, but I guess the culture might be changing.