D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 12, 2017

3.3

Corporate Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

1-2 phone interviews, 1-2 on-sites. I had a very negative phone screen where my nontechnical interviewer kept calling my coding projects "low hanging fruit" and saying they seemed very simple to implement. It was extremely condescending, and I decided not to continue with the interview at that point. It's a shame, because I had positive experiences with this company in the past, but I guess the culture might be changing.

Proprietary Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

30min phone interview on Friday. Heard back for an on-site in New York the next Monday. Did the on-site the week after. Have 4 rounds with 2 teams of people .Each interview one-on-one. Enjoyed the process.

Investor Relations Business Affairs Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

They reached out to me to ask if I wanted to interview for the position. There was a phone interview, then most-of-a-day of in-house interviews. Most went well; I interviewed with four people. One (the lead guy) came across as uninterested and arrogant. The others I liked.

They never bothered to follow up, in any form, to tell me that I didn't get the job. I walked out of the in-house interviews thinking I probably hadn't, but it's so discourteous not to bother to take 25 seconds to write a rejection email. Especially as I took one of my very few vacation days to come in for the in-house interviews. Makes it hard to regret not getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. A few behavioral questions, a few "why this job" questions.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

submit my resume online and get contacted after a month. they scheduled me a phone interview, mainly asking me two questions, one is about programming and the other is about probability, get rejected the day after the phone interview. The programming question is how do you get the largest product of three numbers out of an array. The probability question is what's the probability that you randomly choose three points on a circle and these three points would be covered by a semi-circle.

Interview Questions

• The programming question is how do you get the largest product of three numbers out of an array. The probability question is what's the probability that you randomly choose three points on a circle and these three points would be covered by a semi-circle.   2 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Applied online and heard back for a phone screen soon after. After phone interview, heard back within 2-3 days for onsite interviews. There were 5 of them, each about an hour long, including a lunch interview. All interviewers were mostly friendly and helpful, with one notable exception. Expect soft behavioral questions like why finance, and explaining your background.

Interview Questions

• Brush up on regression, and basic probability and statistics questions   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with several other EAs in one day one after another and then was called back to meet with manager who needed support. Received an offer relatively quickly. Everyone was very nice and had a sense of humor.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Timeline (~2 months):
    ----------------------------
    Applied in mid October. Phone interview was set-up two weeks later. On-site interview the week after. A lot of background check related activities for over a month. Offer given after all checks complete.

Phone interview:
    -----------------------
    - 45 minutes, single interview
    - probability/statistics and algorithms questions
    - very friendly, casual
    - invited to on-site immediately afterwards

On-site:
    ----------------------
    - 5 consecutive one-on-one hour long interviews with quant team (3 in morning, 2 after lunch)
    - 1 "off the record" lunch with another team member
    - extremely nice, brilliant people
    - a lot of questions about my research (be prepared to talk details!)
    - brainteasers (algorithms, black-scholes, arbitrage-free pricing, statistics, order-of-magnitude estimations)
    - time breakdown: 50% fit/research, 50% brainteasers

--------------------
    - at the end of on-site, asked to submit via e-mail: references (4 phone contacts), code samples (~500 lines of code that you're particularly proud of), writing samples (e.g. a scientific paper)
    - a TON of background checks in the month following
    - got weekly phone-call updates to let me know status of my application and also so I could fill out more forms for the background check (I was truly amazed at the dedication and care they took in keeping me informed, especially since the process took so long!)
    - they also asked me about details from other offers I had

Interview Questions

• Which is more: a) the number of stars in our galaxy, or b) the number of grains of sand that will fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

How do you estimate both (a) and (b) using reasonable assumptions that a normal lay-person could verify/agree-with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Told hiring manager the numbers from some other hedge fund offers I had at the time. DE Shaw countered with an offer that was superior in all aspects (salary, bonus, benefits) -- didn't feel the need to negotiate since it was the best offer I received and significantly more than industry average.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2015.

Interview

Very professional and quick. Seems like a great place to intern, but was not selected. Practice on brain teasers and logic questions. They want fast thinkers who are competent as problem solvers.

Finance and Operations Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

Applied through school career website, the process took about a week. I got the first round interview in school. The guy was very nice, he didn't mention anything about the interview in the first 5 mins.

Interview Questions

• what is 57*89?
      Pitch me a stock.
      If a company's P/E Ratio is 10 compare with the industry avg of 12, what do you think the reason is?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview. The interviewed asked about my research projects and a couple brainteasers about fair coin flips required to use law of large numbers and large deviation. The interviewer is very friendly, and seemed to be interested in my research. The brainteasers are standard probability questions.

Interview Questions

• Flip a fair coin 1000 times. What's the probability that the number of heads come up more than 550 times? What theorem would you use to describe probabilities of rare events as number of coin flips goes to infinity?   2 Answers