D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

3.3

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I had a first round interview on the phone.
    Come from a non-US school in my penultimate year of study. Applied online and received a call for an interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• You know that I have 2 children and 1 boy among them at least. What is the probability that my other child is a girl?   2 Answers

Finance and Operations Interview

Interview

I got the interview through the university career fair and online application. It was a phone interview. I talked to a manager in New York office for 30 minutes. Basic resume questions, but more technically. Also I was asked to solve a math problem

Financial Analyst/Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I was Asked some questions about my research. I also introduced my interest I. Summer intern. They give me a probability question, but I give the wrong answer. In the end, they asked me if I have questions about their company. I asked what kind of job for an intern.

Interview Questions

• The family has two chilDren. The person answered the phone is a boy, what is the prob the family has a girl?   3 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2014.

Interview

I was asked a bit about my research, and then the following 3 questions:

(1) Let A be an n by n matrix, with all off-diagonal entries equal to a, and all diagonal entries equal to 1. For which value of a, is this matrix positive definite?

(2) We start with a number n, and let S = 0. At the first step

What number do we end up with?

(3) Suppose we have a fair coin, and we toss it a million times. Let X be the number of heads; estimate the probability that X > 502,000.

Interview Questions

• (4) You are given two Gaussian variables: X_1 and X_2 with means m_1, m_2 and variance v_1, v_2.

Suppose you know the sum X_1 + X_2 is equal to n. What is the expected value of X_2?
      12 Answers

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Six persons in a roll, each for 20-30 mins. All interviewers are from the Tax Department, which are from Senior to SVP levels. The interview went on for 2 hours and each person asks different questions.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute phone interview. 5 minutes behavioral, 20 resume overview, 5 minutes technical question. technical question was probability type question. Resume questions are straight forward but you need to know very well why your skill can drive value for them.

Trader Interview

Interview

I applied through their website and got a phone interview with one of their traders. Most of the questions were behavioral, except one brain teaser. He was nice, but I did not do well and got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of pieces of pizza consumed in the U.S. every day.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I got a phone interview about two weeks after the application deadline. This interview lasted about half an hour. The interviewer was nice and gave me a call on time. Most questions focused on my past experience. He also asked a few question about the international market. They wanted candidates with diverse background.

Interview Questions

• What's the most difficult thing if you are U.S president?   Answer Question

Rotational Associate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY).

Interview

I replied to a posting on the campus jobs board. The recruiter referred me to the Rotational Associates Position. The first round was a half-hour phone interview followed by three second-round interviews onsite. The people I spoke with were generally very smart with non-traditional backgrounds for finance. However, the process is very competitive and they seem to interview many people relative to the number of openings.

Interview Questions

• I got the life insurance scenario mentioned by other candidates.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

First round phone Interview only. Very Prompt response on whether you advanced. The whole process took a few weeks. From the moment you submit your resume on the website, it took roughly 6-7 business days for them to contact you. Then you schedule a first round a few days out. Apparently the superday is suppose to be 4 hours and consists of many 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• The brainteaser was a variation of the 100 coins and 5 pirates. There were 6 pirates instead. So the premise is that there are 6 pirates and you are the captain. You must divide the coins. If 50% of the people rebel against your allocation, they kill you and the process starts again. What is the optimal allocation?   2 Answers