D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Software Developer Interview Questions

3.4

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, then got an email 3-4 weeks later inviting me to a phone interview. They didn't say the interview would be technical, but I was expecting it to be. Interview was poorly conducted; the questions were theoretical and more about running code than actually writing code. Ended the interview on a probability brainteaser, which was fun but I didn't get it. Was not invited for the second round.
My advice: study up on some core concepts about runtime versus compilation, data structures, etc

Interview Questions

• What are some things that work in C++ that don't work in C?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with DE Shaw, each lasting an hour. Neither of them was very technical at all. I expected to be asked brain teasers given that DE Shaw is known for brain teasers or at least a coding question, but instead I got a lot of behavioral questions or explaining the projects that I've done.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process is fine. Technical questions. The process is not so friendly, and they don't even provide lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

First-round on-campus interview: Mainly I was asked how I would approach a couple algorithmic problems that the interviewer described as simplifications of stuff he works on. We discussed the solutions at a pretty high level and I didn't have to write much code. The problems were interesting but not killer, involving dynamic programming and some combinatorial and probability calculations, and happened to draw on my strengths. Got an invitation to NYC the same day.

On-site interview day: They put me in a nice hotel a block from their office. I had a long 10am-5pm of ~1hr 1:1 interviews, with a laid-back 1:1 lunch at a restaurant midday. The interviewers included both programmers and quants, with corresponding questioning styles. I was posed challenging questions on software engineering, algorithms, statistics, and quantitative reasoning. No fit/behavioral questions beyond the introductory chit-chat. The people were all really smart, and personalities ranged between pleasant/relaxed and nerdy/quirky (nothing adversarial).

I left feeling it went OK, but I did need a lot of help on some of the problems. Got a rejection email 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• Three of my 150 friends have phone numbers ending in a permutation of the digits 0, 1, 4, and 9. Is this surprising?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Pretty standard prop trading/software development interview, although D.E. Shaw focuses on Java over C/C++ more than you might expect. Interview included a fun brain-teaser exercise about lights. A relatively good grasp of the standard material won't cut it - be ready to talk about your accomplishments and pack as much impressive material as possible into your 45 minute phone screen.

Interview Questions

• You are in a room with 100 lights, initially all off. If you first toggle every light, then every second, and so forth up to 100, which lights will be on at the end?   9 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

Got 1st round interview at school. The interviewer is very nice and start by a short introduction about DE Shaw and what he does there. Then he asked a simple coding + algorithmic question: implementing a merge iterator in C++. When I finished the coding, he asked a few question about the complexity of the algorithm, how to improve it (using priority queue). Got invitation for the on-site interview in that evening. Before going, i need to submit a sample code (you can choose any code you wrote, ~300 lines) for them to review.

Went to NY for the second round (the hotel and restaurant was really nice). Got 3 technical interviews in the morning which went quite well. Then they decide to schedule another technical interview with a senior VP in the afternoon. He also asked me a few technical questions which are very interesting. E.g,
    - given a method foo(int a[4]). Write code to call foo with a = [0,0,0,0], [0,0,0,1],[0,0,0,2],[0,0,1,0],....,[2,2,2,2].
    - Given 2 classes of shapes (Rectangle, Circle) that inherits Shape and 2 classes of printers (BW, Color), that inherits Printer. Also given 4 methods:
      --- PrintRecBW(Rectangle s,BW p)
      --- PrintRecCol(Rectangle s,Col p)
      --- PrintCirBW(Circle s,BW p)
      --- PrintCirCol(Circle s,Col p)
    write a method to Print(Shape s, Printer p) to print out (s,p) using 4 methods above WITHOUT using "if". You are allowed to implement addition methods in given classes.

I also did pretty well in this one. Finally, they schedule an interview with the manager of the team. He asked me a few general questions about my research and my working experience. Then he asked a few technical question which were very obscure, there are no right or wrong answers, e.g
      --- Do we need class Integer in Java? Why?
    I thought I did ok in this interview (except the Integer question).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in March 2009.

Interview

D.E. Shaw loves brain teasers. I interviewed there 11 years ago at the same time as interviewing for my current job. Shaw was taking a long time with the interview process until another company started interviewing me and then they sped up the process. I don't believe there was a phone interview, but the first interview took a couple hours with some nice devs who asked primarily brain teasers. This was followed up by a phone interview with the hiring manager who, despite my recruiter's assurances to the contrary, immediately asked me another brain teaser. While this question was much more interesting and more closely related to a real problem that Shaw might face, I was annoyed.

Interview Questions

• One brain teaser that I encountered that came from Shaw was the five pirate problem. The five pirates are perfectly logical and need to divide up 100 pieces of gold with the following stipulations:

i) There is a pecking order for the pirates from 1-5.
      ii) The head pirate divies the gold as he sees fit but obviously wants to not be killed and to maximize his share.
      iii) After this the captain and the crew votes on whether or not they mutiny and kill the captain. A tie means no one mutinies.
      1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Chennai (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

Total 3 rounds. 1st written followed by 2 face to face and every round was ELIMINATION one.

1st Round: Written (1hr)
    3 sections. 20 min each.

2nd Round: Face to Face (1hr)
    Rapid fire questions :) Mainly from OOPs concept of C++, Data Structures & Algorithms, O.S
    Started with simple question and moved in depth.

3rd Round: Face to Face. Mainly tried to confuse everyone :) It was fun. (1:15 hr)
    Mainly related to my present work. As I was working in java field, using Spring & Hibernate, so they asked me few basic questions of Spring & Hibernate. Not in depth.

Interview Questions

• (1) Can static method be overridden? Why?
      What is dangling reference?
      (2) Moved on to what happens when we access it.?
      (3) How to handle it? I said we can use reference count or std::auto_ptr to avoid dangling reference. He was happy with auto_ptr smart pointer concept.

Largest BST in Binary Tree. Implemented this with O(n) time complexity.
      Implement phone dictionary. Gave solution using trie with hashing. Few discussions on it, but was happy at the end.
      Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coimbatore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Coimbatore (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

It was fun and challenging! The interviewers were really friendly to me!
    They had good dta structure questions which were really interesting! They always encouraged me to answer with an optimal solution . I asked them a lot of questions for which they answered very patiently! The entire interview process was very well organized !

Interview Questions

• Why de shaw ? What do u think about D E Shaw and Arcesium and so on.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (Hyderabad (India)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied through Career Site. Got a Telephonic Interview.
    Asked Basic Questions covering DS,OS,DBMS and Networking.
    Questions were basic not too tough as i was a fresher.
    Was called for the in house interview too.
    Results awaited

Interview Questions

• 1. Normalization
      2. Sychronization