D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm Software Engineering and Quantitative Research Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2014

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1 of over 257 interviews

HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm (New York, NY) in Nov 2013

Interview

I applied online and received an interview offer pretty early. They asked for a phone interview, and asked to have pencil and paper ready. There was no coding during the interview. First, we discussed my resume. The interviewer said he liked my resume. We then discussed one of the projects from my resume. I thought the interview was going really well. He then gave me two brain teasers to think about, and then we discussed my reasoning. The teasers are below.

Interview Questions
  • The first question he gave me was not hard. 1. You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children is a boy. The answer happens to be yes again. What's the probability that the second child is a boy? 2. (Much harder) You call to someone's house and asked if they have two children. The answer happens to be yes. Then you ask if one of their children's name a William. The answer happens to be yes again.(We assume William is a boy's name, and that it's possible that both children are Williams) What's the probability that the second child is a boy?
    12 Answers