DALSA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DALSA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.5

X-ray Detecter Designer () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eindhoven (Netherlands)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at DALSA (Eindhoven (Netherlands)) in May 2016.

Interview

Because it is just an internship, maybe the process is easier than full-job interview. Two technical engineers came together, and I was asked to describe the project I did before. And they cared about how long I can did the internship.

Interview Questions

• Describe your projects listed in your CV? How long could you work for their project?   Answer Question

Electronic Design and Test Interview

Interview

I applied by email and I received an in site interview request by phone. The initial interview was done phone with HR. No technical questions were asked, just some basic information along with salary and career expectations. I met with two senior engineers from the R&D department. The first interviewer asked me some general technical questions about programming and some other topics.

The second interviewer asked some more detailed and specific questions. I was asked to describe for him a system I designed previously in a block diagram. I was also given a programming task to do. and two other question.

After the interview, I had not heard back from HR for more than 10 days. After follow up email, I received a standard rejection e-mail.

Sustaining Engineering Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DALSA (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

It was a 40 min in person interview, with technical questions and also personality questions. Technical came first, and upon answering some and stumbling on others, my interviewer was very thorough in explaining and working through some of the problems with me. After the technical questions, the job was discussed. I asked some questions about how the relationship is between full timers and co-op students. The relationship consists of mentorship, and also freedom to explore projects that are assigned.

Interview Questions

• A circuit for a MUX was shown, and I was asked what this circuit functionally does.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DALSA (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

last for an hour with generic HR questions i.e. weaknesses, strength, 5-year career aspiration, applicable skills and experience,
    interviewed first by HR then by Hiring Manager,
    overall went well.

What are you weaknesses and strength?
    Where do you see yourself in the next 5 year?

Interview Questions

• What are you weaknesses and strength?
      Where do you see yourself in the next 5 year?   Answer Question

Test Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DALSA (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2011.

Interview

I found the position of Test Specialist on Glassdoor.com. Test Specialist is a high-level technician/low-level engineer position in the CMOS image sensor group at Dalsa. The Test Specialist is responsible for setting up and running tests for imaging sensors and to help customers solve technical problems. Dalsa created this position to free up time for higher-level engineers in the CMOS group so they can focus on higher-value work like design.

I looked up the job opening on the official Dalsa website and applied there.

There were 4 keys things in the skills section of the job description: Matlab, Labview, FPGA programming and C programming. I prepared a 2-page custom resume where I listed my relevant work experience under exactly these sections plus a highlight/summary and education section.

The online application was handled by a third-party web application that did not let me upload a custom resume in .doc or .pdf format. I had to copy and paste my information into a plain-text text box. I didn't feel the online application process let me communicate my skills effectively so I physically mailed in a custom resume plus a 1-page cover letter.

I waited 3 weeks until an HR person phoned me and arranged an in-person interview at the Dalsa Waterloo office.

The first half of the interview was with an HR person. She talked about the company in the usual manner and asked me the usual HR questions. She failed to give me a sense of what the job entailed and overall this part of the interview was more useful to her than me.

The second half of the interview was with the engineer who was in charge of the ASIC testing group. He was able to tell me exactly what the job entailed. He told me that the job paid $40,000 to $55,000/yr and that there was a well-defined career path into higher-level engineering positions 1 or 2 years down the road. He didn't ask me any technical questions, but did say that there is a 2nd round of interviews with an even higher-level HR person and technical person where "technical" questions will be asked.

I asked the engineer what attracted him on my resume; he said the 4 key words that was listed on the job description: Matlab, Labview, FPGA programming and C programming. I also asked how long it'll take him to make a decision. He said that I'll know in 1 to 2 weeks if I make it for the next round of interviews.

I waited another 3 weeks until the HR person emailed me and said that there was a hiring freeze at Dalsa. Dalsa won't be hiring for Test Specialist again until spring 2012.

I was displeased at how long Dalsa took to get through the interview process in general. I waited 3 weeks for my interview, but the job description was posted long before that.

I got a small tour of the Dalsa Waterloo office. The are multiple buildings concentrated in an industrial area in North Waterloo. There is a large mall with lots of food (and coffee) nearby. The area is made for people with cars and it is a long walk to the nearest bus stop. The offices are a mix of cubicles and labs/clean rooms. Nothing exciting.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at DALSA (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in April 2011.

Interview

I got a first interview with the software manager and the project manager. They began by describing the company, what they do, where they are, the history of the company. Then described me briefly the position I was interviewed for and they asked for clarifications on a few things on my CV. They asked my why I was interested in the position.
    They began an oral test on very specific technical things. They were not only related to software design but to electronic and network.
    They also asked me general questions : how would be your ideal supervisor, give one of your strenghs and one of your weaknesses; what would you like to do in 5 years...
    They was then a second interview with the HR. I got very general, typical, HR questions. No hard questions.

IC-designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enschede (Netherlands)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DALSA (Enschede (Netherlands)) in August 2013.

Interview

Het proces ging snel. Ze nodigen je uit om naar Enschede te komen voor een eerste interview met de manager en de hoofdwetenschapper. Een typische ontmoeting. Als je voor deze ontmoeting slaagt, nodigen ze je uit voor een tweede interview van drie uur door drie interviewers (ieder één uur). De interviewers zijn hele leuke mensen die echt willen horen wat je gedaan hebt en willen controleren of je bij ze past.