DC Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DC Energy

3.7

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

The first part is an online test. Mostly logic questions and quant type problems. I don't think you need to get the whole thing right to move onto the phone screen. The second part was a phone screen gauging general interest including fitness questions and also a case at the end. The case was not a general business cases and involved solving a math problem with weighted averages on probabilities. When you get invited to final round, the recruiter will give you a sample case that will make u think you will get general business cases - however don't be misled by this, your cases will be math problems and more like solving brain teaser or quant problems (dont waste your time prepping business cases). There are 3 cases during final round, and afterwards a lunch, and then maybe a presentation of the company. The lunch was after the cases so it cannot help you, only hurt you.

Interview Questions

• how many zeros are at the end of 100!   3 Answers
    • f(n) is a function counting all the ones that show up in 1, 2, 3, ..., n. so f(1)=1, f(10)=2, f(11)=4 etc. When is the first time f(n)=n.   7 Answers

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2009.

Interview

First round interview was 30 minutes long; 10 minutes fit, 15 minutes case, 5 minutes for questions. Case was not like typical mgmt consulting case; don't come in with the strategy consulting approach. The case really consisted of related questions which were indirectly linked to how electricity auctions run. Interviewer wasn't *that* helpful, which made it difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DC Energy (Vienna, VA) in May 2010.

Interview

Submitted resume via college job board and was contacted a few weeks later for an IQ/Computer test.

Online test consisted mainly of brain teasers, math problems and market estimation questions. You are expected to take an hour to complete the exam. I'd suggest skimming a brain teaser or basic probability/math book to prepare.

Phone interview went over my resume and ended with a simple probability case interview involving coin flips.

Week later I was invited for an on-site interview which HR said would consist of 3 case interviews. First interview was centered around choosing between certain power plant configurations given some data--simple DCF would suffice. The 2nd interview involved how to invest in a variety of power plants given probabilistic data. Final interview consisted of choosing between crops and how to allocate an investment.

I'd suggest that interviewers review case study books and basic portfolio texts.

Interview Questions

• You are farmer with the following historical pricing data for X and Y crop. What would you plant and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Washington, DC) in November 2010.

Interview

1 hour skill test. General math and logic. Brush up on this before hand. Find the area of a circle inside a square inside a circle. Most of it is analytical and fairly straight forward but there are a couple of questions regarding your interest in your position and whether you have programming experience.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

For the investment analyst position, the interviewing process was very straightforward. They are looking for your quantitative analysis skills and will ask questions in regards to your experience - be prepared to talk somewhat about it - as well as test you mid-interview on a data related situation. Kind of difficult question; not the hardest I've seen, but I've seen easier.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
    • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward on-campus interview. I applied through my university's website and got a response that I could sign up for an interview. Went in, it was about 45 minute. The interviewer was very friendly so it wasn't stressful at all. Didn’t get a second round though, so maybe I should have done better. Who knows.

Interview Questions

• I was given a "case" interview, more like a brainteaser, about different colored hats. Pretty fun.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with one employee of DC Energy for a case interview. They asked if I had any questions about the company, then dove right into the case. Was given a sheet of data on 4 different factories that output energy. The daily output capacity of the firm, variable costs, and fixed costs of building the factory were all provided. It felt very abrupt to begin talking about this. I was required to ask questions in order to gain more information about the firms. The value of the energy being produced was given in the form of a probability density chart.

Interview Questions

• Between 4 different potential factories, which would you invest in building? (given a sheet of data on each firm's daily output, profit per output unit, variable cost, and fixed cost of building)   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2018.

Interview

first interview took place at my university after applying with resume after my school's career fair, was a short case interview of math related problems

second and third interviews were conducted the next day (business and coding case interviews)

lastly, I was invited onsite (entirely reimbursed, they booked a flight and hotel for me) to conduct more interviews, meet almost everyone working at the company, they hosted a banquet, presentations, team exercises, was a 2 day stay for me (meals and transportation were paid for too)

clearly the company treats its employees very well in terms of salary and nice dinners, however, a lot of the employees were very unpleasant and condescending; the company definitely a certain type of person (even one of the employees who didn't have an ivy league degree was ignored by others)

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

Had a quick 20 minute interview. Asked about what I knew about the company and why I wanted to get into energy trading. I was then presented with two cases where I had to describe my thinking process. Overall, it was not that difficult, but it seemed that the person interviewing me was uninterested. When I asked questions, it took him some time to give an answer and his answers were brief.