DC Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DC Energy

3.7

Sort:

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy in May 2008.

Interview

* Emailed DC Energy with CV & cover letter after seeing posting on university career center's website
    * After a few weeks, was asked to submit my SAT & transcript scores
    * A few weeks later was told to take an online test which would test my "problem solving and creative thinking" skills. The test was a a challenging set of brain teasers that you might get from a top tier bank, hedge fund, or consulting firm.
    * A few weeks later I was told I past the screening test and had a phone interview. Had a standard question about asset allocation, i.e. you are advising a client on choosing between 3 investments each of which had a different risk profile/ROI. At the end, I had to calculate the expected return on investment based an a certain asset allocation.
    * About two weeks later was invited onsite for 3 one on one interviews. One interview asked about how the price of related commodities (soy and corn) would change due to different macro-economic and environmental factors (i.e. what would happen to soy prices if the corn harvest for a particular season was bad?). Second interview asked how I would invest if I had choice between investing in a coal plant or nuclear plant (another asset allocation question). Third interview was more behavioral with no case question.
    * Was told at the end of the interview day that I would hear back very soon and about a week later I was sent the offer letter for the job.

Interview Questions

• what would happen to the prices of corn and soy futures if the harvest (i.e. volume produced) for soy was abnormally bad for the year?   Answer Question
    • If you had x dollars to invest in coal plant(s) and/or nuclear plant(s) what would you invest in?   1 Answer

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Interview

Received 1st round interview through on-campus recruiting; 30-minute quantitative case interview. Interviewer was friendly and experienced.

Received call-back for 2nd rounds same evening. Two 45-minute interviews, with a mix of fit, case, quant, and algorithmic questions. Got the feeling that the technical questions carried heavier weight. Crushed all questions except the algorithm one, which was very difficult. Still don't know how to solve it. Having taken some algorithms classes might have been helpful.

Dinged a few days later.

Not a typical prop trading firm. Work is more team-focused with a single bonus pool. Being a team-player was emphasized. Overall, a very selective but pleasant interview experience.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy in December 2011.

Interview

Submitted my resume on their website. Several months later, I recieved a response, and took the online test. 8 +/- questions, some were free response (why are you interested, explain why the dollar coin failed), some were brain teasers. (very similiar to the questions others have posted, although a lot of the posted answers are wrong)

Following the online test, i did a thirty minute phone interview with a current analyst. For the most part, we just discussed the electricity market, and how the trade, etc. We ended with a brain teaser, (how many tires are sold in the US). Overall, I believe the interview went well. The analyst sent me an email immediately following the interview, thanking me and saying to reach out with any additional questions. I sent him a nice obligatory thank you reply.

Since then, complete silence. After 3 weeks, I contacted the HR person inquiring about my status. No response... Very odd, considering that others have posted that they've recieved relatively quick feedback.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Interview

DC Energy came to our university's career fair, and I was able to submit my application through our university's website. I was pre-selected for a first-round interview, which was a case study: "how would you estimate the number of mobile towers that is needed to have coverage across the United States?" Even though I was not invited, they did have their second round of interviews the following day.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the number of mobile towers that is needed to have coverage across the United States?   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

applied through University career center and received on-campus first round interview

Interview Questions

• Was asked technical question about a function provided by the interviewer   Answer Question

Associate Power Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

On campus interview. Interviewer is a trader with a technical background. He cared only if you answered a brainteaser right or wrong. I did not answer it right according to him, and left the interview with the belief that it was a communication problem. Given his description of the teaser, I nearly wanted to prove to him that there is no answer to his question. And I did about 10 questions asking clarifications, testing the bounds of the his question, etc during the interview, to no avail.