DC Energy Investment Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DC Energy Investment Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

Had a quick 20 minute interview. Asked about what I knew about the company and why I wanted to get into energy trading. I was then presented with two cases where I had to describe my thinking process. Overall, it was not that difficult, but it seemed that the person interviewing me was uninterested. When I asked questions, it took him some time to give an answer and his answers were brief.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for DC Energy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with one employee of DC Energy for a case interview. They asked if I had any questions about the company, then dove right into the case. Was given a sheet of data on 4 different factories that output energy. The daily output capacity of the firm, variable costs, and fixed costs of building the factory were all provided. It felt very abrupt to begin talking about this. I was required to ask questions in order to gain more information about the firms. The value of the energy being produced was given in the form of a probability density chart.

Interview Questions

• Between 4 different potential factories, which would you invest in building? (given a sheet of data on each firm's daily output, profit per output unit, variable cost, and fixed cost of building)   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward on-campus interview. I applied through my university's website and got a response that I could sign up for an interview. Went in, it was about 45 minute. The interviewer was very friendly so it wasn't stressful at all. Didn’t get a second round though, so maybe I should have done better. Who knows.

Interview Questions

• I was given a "case" interview, more like a brainteaser, about different colored hats. Pretty fun.   1 Answer

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

For the investment analyst position, the interviewing process was very straightforward. They are looking for your quantitative analysis skills and will ask questions in regards to your experience - be prepared to talk somewhat about it - as well as test you mid-interview on a data related situation. Kind of difficult question; not the hardest I've seen, but I've seen easier.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
    • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

-Submitted my resume and cover letter through my university career database
    -Had 2 30min in-person interviews with company employees
    -One brainteaser (see below)
    -One case interview about what type of power plant to invest in based off of figures given to you (coal, natural gas, or oil)

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: You have 1000 boxes and only 1 box contains the "treasure". In order to find the correct box, you must line the boxes up 1-1000 and systematically remove one box, save the next box, remove the next box, etc, etc. What number box contains the treasure?   2 Answers

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Very brief 30 min interview that went over my resume, interest for the company and the skills that I brought to the position. The interviewer was very nice and polite and had a lot of experience in the company.

Interview Questions

• Which is the smallest number that is perfectly divisible (no decimals) by every number between 1-10?   2 Answers

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2014.

Interview

I used my school's resume drop to apply, and was selected for first-round interviews. Before the interview, no information was provided on what type of interview it would be, so I was a little unsure about what it would be, though I expected case. This was correct. It was 40 minutes case, 5 minutes for me to ask questions.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting - submitted my resume and cover letter and was offered a 1st round interview. The interview was mainly just the case - not too much fit or behavioral at all. The interviewer was really nice and polite and did not make me feel nervous or uncomfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online through the college's job portal. I was selected for a first interview. The interview was an on-campus interview. It consisted solely of asking why you were interested in the position and a case study. We were called back later that day to find out whether we were given a second interview which was to be the following day.

Interview Questions

• The case study consisted of an electronics store which was going out of business. The prices various hypothetical customers were willing to pay was given for an item. Competitor's prices were given as well as the cost you paid, the MSRP, and the disposal cost. You were asked to select the best price to set for the sale of the goods. This was then reiterated twice more, once with a different item and once with two items where some customers were only willing to pay for packages with two items.   Answer Question