DC Energy Investment Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DC Energy Investment Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at DC Energy

3.8

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

For the investment analyst position, the interviewing process was very straightforward. They are looking for your quantitative analysis skills and will ask questions in regards to your experience - be prepared to talk somewhat about it - as well as test you mid-interview on a data related situation. Kind of difficult question; not the hardest I've seen, but I've seen easier.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for DC Energy

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at DC Energy.

Interview

Asked me one personal question, one resume question, and one analytical question. Interviewer was curt. Most of the interview was spent on the critical thinking question. Maybe he had more questions afterwards but I never answered the critical thinking question successfully. He asked me if I had any questions about the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain experience with R & MATLAB   Answer Question
    • Critical thinking problem with 1000 boxes, a set of rules for eliminating boxes, and asking to pick the last box remaining   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at D.C. Energy?   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2015.

Interview

Pretty straightforward on-campus interview. I applied through my university's website and got a response that I could sign up for an interview. Went in, it was about 45 minute. The interviewer was very friendly so it wasn't stressful at all. Didn’t get a second round though, so maybe I should have done better. Who knows.

Interview Questions

• I was given a "case" interview, more like a brainteaser, about different colored hats. Pretty fun.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DC Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with one employee of DC Energy for a case interview. They asked if I had any questions about the company, then dove right into the case. Was given a sheet of data on 4 different factories that output energy. The daily output capacity of the firm, variable costs, and fixed costs of building the factory were all provided. It felt very abrupt to begin talking about this. I was required to ask questions in order to gain more information about the firms. The value of the energy being produced was given in the form of a probability density chart.

Interview Questions

• Between 4 different potential factories, which would you invest in building? (given a sheet of data on each firm's daily output, profit per output unit, variable cost, and fixed cost of building)   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2018.

Interview

first interview took place at my university after applying with resume after my school's career fair, was a short case interview of math related problems

second and third interviews were conducted the next day (business and coding case interviews)

lastly, I was invited onsite (entirely reimbursed, they booked a flight and hotel for me) to conduct more interviews, meet almost everyone working at the company, they hosted a banquet, presentations, team exercises, was a 2 day stay for me (meals and transportation were paid for too)

clearly the company treats its employees very well in terms of salary and nice dinners, however, a lot of the employees were very unpleasant and condescending; the company definitely a certain type of person (even one of the employees who didn't have an ivy league degree was ignored by others)

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

Had a quick 20 minute interview. Asked about what I knew about the company and why I wanted to get into energy trading. I was then presented with two cases where I had to describe my thinking process. Overall, it was not that difficult, but it seemed that the person interviewing me was uninterested. When I asked questions, it took him some time to give an answer and his answers were brief.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy in September 2017.

Interview

One case interview on campus with a senior employee. A week later, I was invited to an office visit. At the visit, I had two more interviews the first afternoon, one about light bulbs and the other about sorting boxes (to test programming aptitude). The next day was more about fit, though there was one group exercise. The visit was great. Really nice hotel, dinners, and access to employees.

Interview Questions

• All types of analytical questions. Some had defined answers, others were to see your thought process. Very little interest in fit questions during the interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy (Vienna, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Each stage had about 1-2 weeks in-between -- the stages were a four-question survey online, a phone interview with a technical/math question, and then a 2-day office day if you applied online (1-day if you interviewed on-campus with them). They have you go through 3 case studies that were mostly math and critical thinking based and the actual office day and breakfast/dinners were pretty relaxed and more to see if you were a good fit. The only test on the office day was the team exercise where you're split into a group of 2-3 and pseudocoding a series of tasks as quickly as possible.

Interview Questions

• Standard phone interview. Brainteaser, statistics/math, and critical questions   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at DC Energy in May 2008.

Interview

* Emailed DC Energy with CV & cover letter after seeing posting on university career center's website
    * After a few weeks, was asked to submit my SAT & transcript scores
    * A few weeks later was told to take an online test which would test my "problem solving and creative thinking" skills. The test was a a challenging set of brain teasers that you might get from a top tier bank, hedge fund, or consulting firm.
    * A few weeks later I was told I past the screening test and had a phone interview. Had a standard question about asset allocation, i.e. you are advising a client on choosing between 3 investments each of which had a different risk profile/ROI. At the end, I had to calculate the expected return on investment based an a certain asset allocation.
    * About two weeks later was invited onsite for 3 one on one interviews. One interview asked about how the price of related commodities (soy and corn) would change due to different macro-economic and environmental factors (i.e. what would happen to soy prices if the corn harvest for a particular season was bad?). Second interview asked how I would invest if I had choice between investing in a coal plant or nuclear plant (another asset allocation question). Third interview was more behavioral with no case question.
    * Was told at the end of the interview day that I would hear back very soon and about a week later I was sent the offer letter for the job.

Interview Questions

• If you had x dollars to invest in coal plant(s) and/or nuclear plant(s) what would you invest in?   1 Answer
    • what would happen to the prices of corn and soy futures if the harvest (i.e. volume produced) for soy was abnormally bad for the year?   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at DC Energy in October 2011.

Interview

Received 1st round interview through on-campus recruiting; 30-minute quantitative case interview. Interviewer was friendly and experienced.

Received call-back for 2nd rounds same evening. Two 45-minute interviews, with a mix of fit, case, quant, and algorithmic questions. Got the feeling that the technical questions carried heavier weight. Crushed all questions except the algorithm one, which was very difficult. Still don't know how to solve it. Having taken some algorithms classes might have been helpful.

Dinged a few days later.

Not a typical prop trading firm. Work is more team-focused with a single bonus pool. Being a team-player was emphasized. Overall, a very selective but pleasant interview experience.