DIRECTV Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DIRECTV Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2018

2.5

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at DIRECTV.

Interview

One interview with department, typical questions were asked. Come to the interview prepared with basic questions reviewed. Also very important to show your personality. They really just want to know if you are a good fit within the group you will be working with. However, now that AT&T has taken over the people and process may be different for new contractors.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I had 5 separate phone interviews. This was followed by a Skype interview with 2 additional members that are based in California. After that, I was required to come onsite to meet with 5 people individually. Each person was supposed to focus on one behavioral value

Interview Questions

• How would you handle managers with difficult personalities?   1 Answer

Planning Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DIRECTV in February 2015.

Interview

The interview overall took 40 minutes. First, they asked me about my past experience and specific details of some stuff I have in my resume. I was kind of a explanation of my resume. After that, the asked me my point of view of the position what do I think would be necessary for that position and my level of excel skills.

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had. Was initially contacted by a recruiter who set me up with a phone screen. After the phone screen, they wanted to set up a full day of interviews where I interviewed with five people plus complete a case study. They rescheduled the interview day five different times in the same week and I started to feel jerked around and that my time wasn't valuable to them. Then the morning of the interview as I am walking out the door at 7:30am to drive to Directv, the recruiter calls me to tell me that one of the people I'm supposed to interview with is now unavailable and they want me to come in at 10:00am now. I almost told the recruiter I was no longer interested in the position, since they clearly did not have the organizational capabilities to schedule a simple interview. However, I ended up going in and only meeting with three people and not doing the case study. They also did not have a job description for the role I was interviewing for. When I asked what the role entailed and what my responsibilities would be, they were extremely vague and couldn't give me a straight answer. You're a Fortune 500 company...how do you not have a job description or know what the role entails? They also told me that my position could be affected by the AT&T acquisition and the role may become obsolete. WHY ARE YOU EVEN INTERVIEWING FOR THE POSITION THEN? I wasn't offered the role, but even if I was, I would have declined. They need to clean up their act.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ambiguous situation you've been in and how you dealt with it. If you need to get the CEO's attention, how do you do that if you have a priority that needs to get accomplished? What are your three greatest strengths and three greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DIRECTV.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a job searching website. they then replied to my email regarding the position and the time would I be available for a phone interview. After the phone interview, they said that if I pass, they will email me an invitation to go to a face to face interview with them.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experience in java and other technologies. They also asked me about OOP and some definitions like difference between abstract and interface. Some non-technical questions were also asked.   Answer Question

Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at DIRECTV (El Segundo, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I interviewed onsite with the group responsible for collecting and displaying data to the interactive TV program guide. Part one was a group Q & A with the team lead and 3 other engineers. They asked me about my experiences (e.g. with various technologies, a difficult situation, a technical challenge, etc.). Part two was a written exam, soliciting brief explanations and code snippets to demonstrate facility with the various required technologies. They left me to it in a closed room; an hour later I handed them a completed exam and a pencil sans eraser (it's been a while since I wrote code with one).

I actually really liked the format. Most companies have you interview serially, one interviewer at a time (which I find prone to redundancy). Each typically has you solve a problem on a whiteboard under a watchful eye (which can be unduly stressful). In contrast, the DirecTV interview tests your ability to communicate in a group but write code in private -- both of which I think are better tests of real life working conditions. I also liked the focus on applied technologies. (You'd think this would be more common than, say, testing one's ability to reverse strings or recursively traverse binary trees).

Be that as it may, I lost interest when I asked about the software engineering processes they employed to ensure code quality. Their answer was that they had a QA staff. That was it. I asked about code reviews, unit tests, coding standards, static analysis tools, etc. The answer was an across-the-board no. That may be liberating for some, but for me it was a red flag.

Java Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at DIRECTV.

Interview

Met on site with the Hiring Manager for a roughly 1 hour interview. The interview consisted of details of what the responsibilities of the position were and how DirectTV functions with respect to their products. The remainder of the interview dealt with background information about my skills, how they relate to the needs of the position, and the strengths of my skills.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in terms of working within the SDLC process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DIRECTV (Boise, ID) in February 2010.

Interview

Very easy interview

Negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DIRECTV.

Interview

I had a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. The interviewer was not an engineer and asked me general interview questions in a sort of voice that sounded like he wasn't really paying attention. After the interview was done he told me to expect an email for another interview. They ended up deciding they'd move forward with another candidate though.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DIRECTV.

Interview

I applied on their website then about 4 weeks later I was contacted via email to set up an appointment for a phone interview with a software engineer. The phone interview is about 30 minutes. The first 5-8 minutes was just talking about the program and telling them a little about myself. The remaining 22-25 minutes were somewhat technical as in the software engineer wanted me to talk about projects that I've done and if I struggled on some what was it on and how did I go on about to fix it. Then he asked what I learned so far and some technical brain teaser questions testing my knowledge of OOP and C++ in general.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult:
      "Implement a queue using a class defined for stack"   1 Answer