DISH Interview Questions in Englewood, CO | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.9

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

TL;DR: Dish recruiting has managed to combine the best in time consuming exercises while still making you feel that you are on an assembly line. Save yourself some time on this one; there are reasons the GlassDoor score is so low.

The interview components were not particularly difficult but did end up being very time consuming. First I had a phone screen with a recruiter (lasting about 30 minutes) where we ran through my resume. I did well enough that I was 'invited' to take an online test which included a three components: math, verbal and technology literacy (these technology questions felt like a very clever way to filter out people under 25 and over 50 as they were inane yet specific). While the recruiter said that this test would take roughly 60-75 minutes, it consumed the better part of two hours.

From there, I was invited to an in person interview which lasted about three hours. I had the opportunity to meet with 3 members of the group for 30 minutes each. The interview was very basic but gave me a good opportunity to drill deeper down into the role and the social aspect of the team/company. Now if you were keeping track, the interviewing component was only 1.5 hours of the 3 hours. The other 1.5 hours of this event involved sitting in a small room taking outdated personality and logic tests on barely functional computers. They are not hard but you really get the sense that you are becoming just another point of data to Dish. It was clear walking out of the interview that the position was looking for more technical skills than I possessed. While it was irksome that the recruiter pushed me into an interview for a role that was specifically looking for someone technical, I can appreciate the team's decision to go with another candidate.

However, the method by which they send a denial is unprofessional, and frankly insulting. After 5.5 hours in the interview process, all I received was a form email stating they were going with another candidate. It was literally the same email that you would get if you were filtered out during the initial application stage. I would argue that the least a company could give is the courtesy of a phone call, if not a more personalized email. This is shameful and has left me with a very poor perception of Dish. I wish that I had heeded the warnings on GlassDoor before I embarked on this misadventure.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about your background: run through your resume, describe an instance when you encountered conflict in the work place, etc.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO).

Interview

This process was very strange. I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview. I was asked very typical interview questions and arranged another interview with a hiring manager. After nearly a week I was contacted by a different recruiter about the same role and scheduled a time to talk with him. During this interview I was asked all the same questions. I told this to the recruiter and he didn't really respond. After this interview, I had a Skype interview with a hiring manager that went very well. Next, I was flown out to the HQ where I was told I would be meeting with a few people. When I arrived I met with the recruiter I had been in contact with and I took two assessment tests on a computer. These were not terribly difficult. Following this, I met with the hiring manager I had the Skype interview with. Our conversation was strange because he didn't seem to remember talking just days before. He asked me very similar questions and had trouble focusing. He looked visibly tired and was sweating. I made the best of it and met with another manager that was no longer in the department. We had a good conversation and I enjoyed the time I spent with him. Unfortunately, he also asked the same questions that I received over and over again (including a strengths and weakness question). At this point I was bored and only wanted to have a genuine conversation with anyone passionate about their job or the company. Subsequently, I was told that I may or may not be meeting with a director that was in a meeting. I waited around for about 20 minutes and then was told she was stuck in a meeting. Finally, the recruiter directed me out of the office and asked me to send him to send him my travel expenses. I did this a few days later and have never received a check in the mail.

Interview Questions

• Strengths vs. weaknesses

Tell me about your self?

Are you sure you want to do this?
      2 Answers

Vice President - Business Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

I submitted an application online and was contacted by email within 24 hours to schedule an interview. I had a phone interview within four days of submitting my application. At the end of the phone interview I was asked to take an online assessment test (CEB's SHL). The assessment took approximately an hour to complete. I had another phone interview and received followup that another candidate had been selected. The interviewer was very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in understanding my interest in the position.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for a company that is so poorly reviewed on Glassdoor?   Answer Question
    • Please walk my through your resume and help me appreciate your qualification for this position.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience implementing a project. Did you face any challenges?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

The total process lasted several hours. First, they administered a Wonderlick IQ test. Then, there were a series of four head-to-head interviews with different categories of people (coworker, supervisor, cross-department supervisor, and an HR person). The repeated interviews were a bit grinding and it was frustrating speaking with a nontechnical person whose main skill set is networking.

Interview Questions

• How would a handle a difficult interpersonal situation?   Answer Question

Tax Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO).

Interview

I applied online, received a email from the recruiter a few days later to set up a phone interview and instruction to complete some online assessments. Few days after the phone interview, I received a call to set up an interview. The interview experience was very negative for me. I was supposed to meet with two hiring managers as well as the tax directors but ended up meeting with just one hiring manager. The recruiter informed me that tax directors had to cancel and they would set up another day or maybe a phone interview instead, this never end up happening. Well after the interview I waited 2 weeks, and after no response from DISH, I contacted them and they said they haven't made a decision. After waiting another month, I contacted them again and they replied they would be not be going forward with me. Very unprofessional from their end. Overall a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, only end up taking 20 mins. What do you know about DISH?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

1.) Applied online
    2.) HR phone screen
    3.) On-campus Wonderlic/logic testing
    4.) Back to back to back interviews

Overall it was a horrible experience for me. The individuals I interviewed with came across very rude, questioned my integrity after knowing me for less than 10 minutes, and overall had a very apathetic tone. One of the interviewers even asked me why I would want to work for a place that has such bad glassdoor.com reviews! I was stunned.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work for a place with such negative glassdoor.com reviews?

How do I know you won't quit within three months?

Describe an analytical project you've worked on

Marketing Compliance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked some general questions over the phone. Then she sent a link for an online test. She called a week later and emailed interview details which involved taking another test at their headquarters in Englewood CO and meeting with five managers. She said she would be in touch with me in a week or so, which she did, with a job offer. She asked me formally if I accepted and asked if I was available for the start date. I said yes and that I would wrap things up on my end to be available. I contacted her a few days before the start date to confirm the details and found out unapologetically that the job was no longer a "go." I checked with my references and they gave good reviews of my work so this was surprising to me. The Recruiter said the position was not a "go" yet this same position was reposted two weeks later. Make sure when dealing with this company to get everything in writing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made an offer and I asked for a slight amount more and was told no.

Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

The HR recruiter contacted and scheduled a skype interview. Skype interview was for one hour. Called me onsite took a couple of aptitude tests and had one on one interaction with manager and director.

Interview Questions

• Java related questions : difference between comparator and comaparable interfaces, mvc design pattern, resolve prod issue, sql injection, object reference in java, arrays and vector differences....
      and the aptitude test was kind of similar to GRE simple math and reasoning questions

Senior Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in April 2016.

Interview

First a phone screen by human resources, and then I had to take some online tests. I received a call to schedule an actual interview right after that. I interviewed, but even after follow-up attempts by me, I never heard back.

Interview Questions

• How do you define intelligence?
      How do you define energy?

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at DISH (Englewood, CO) in December 2015.

Interview

It started out with an online assessment that took two hours due to technical issues. Next step was a face to face interview. This lasted four hours. They didn't seem to be prepared for my interview. There were two to three men to give me rapid fire questions and basically I had to sell myself, which makes sense in an aggressive sales environment. I then did some new hire background consent forms.

Interview Questions

• Do you object to working at least 50 hours a week?   1 Answer