DRW Assistant Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DRW Assistant Trader Interview Questions

3.5

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DRW.

Interview

Most of the questions were the standard brain teasers that you would expect in any trading interview as well as mental math questions, no surprise there either. Some of the questions were difficult, some easy. There are a lot of books on brain teaser type questions available so my advice - just make sure you do your homework before any such job interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for DRW

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DRW in December 2015.

Interview

Was emailed to set up an initial phone interview with a trader in their New York office. Started off with walking through resume and just personal interests and hobbies. Then there were a few questions involving quick calculations such as multiplication/division of two double digit numbers along with very basic probability questions. Then he moved on to more challenging probability/EV questions and then asked me what my answers were to my previous questions to check your memory. Did well and then they set up another phone interview with a higher up trader and again was asked personality/fit questions to start. I was expecting a lot of math/probability questions and didn't get any. The interview was mostly based off of one big question on valuing some asset with questions building off of each other. Was cut from the process shortly after

Interview Questions

• EV, basic probability, multiplication, pricing knowledge   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DRW (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I was selected for an interview through on-campus recruiting. I had an in-person 30-minute interview. The interview was a mix of behavioral questions and technical questions. I heard back two weeks later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Half an hour on-campus a week after a career fair. Several behavioral questions (i.e. "what's you greatest success", "why DRW", etc.), and the typical experience of walking the interviewer through your resume and prior work experience, followed by a series of quick mental math problems and then two lengthier critical thinking and probability problems (pen and paper provided).

Interview Questions

• How many zeroes are at the end of 100! ?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

they treated us very well, took us out to a steakhouse the night before to talk with some of the traders and then grilled us on Saturday with 4 back to back interviews. the interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions, why trading etc, along with a few math questions in each. some interviews were nicer people some of them were tougher. the hardest part was a mock trading game and the group project where you basically had to build the tallest tower that could support heavy objects out of just paper and tape.

Interview Questions

• no hard questions really, just some mental math (i.e. whats 17 * 22, what is that answer * 5, what is the sum of those digits). however you have to remember those numbers you say as they will ask you one question then spend 10 minutes asking behavioral questions, then all of a sudden ask you to multiply the last number you said by 5.   Answer Question

Trader Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at DRW in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewed on campus. Response turnaround time is very quick. There is a group dinner the day before the interview -- just to get to know the company, learn about the things they do, and meet the interviewers.

Interview starts off with soft questions and then progresses to probability questions (calculating expected value) and mental arithmetic with 2 digit numbers.

Interviewer is rather helpful and lets you think out loud through all the questions. Provides some help if you're stuck.

Interview Questions

• I call out a number. You can then call out a number up to 8 greater than the number I called. Take turns simultaneously calling numbers in this way. The person who hits 50 first wins.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

1st round: Phone – easy going, nice guy, normal trading interview

Mostly behavioral –
    1. Why trading?
    competitive
    fast paced
    etc.
    2. When have you been competitive?
    3. How did you gage success in [picked one] experience on resume?

Technical question... kind of –
    1. Game:
    -winner says the number [any number, n] – goal is to beat the interviewer
    -take turns adding [specified range] to previous number
    -interviewer starts

-must construct a winning sequence of personal choices that positions yourself to win:
    = {n, n-max(range), n - max(range) - max(range), ..., 0}

2. What order would you prefer to choose?
    -second unless winning sequence starts [ordinal] within the range of numbers to add.
    ––––––––––––––––––

Waiting to hear back for second round. It went well so I expect to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

The HR dpt is quite reactive and listen to its employee's referrals usually. I was contacted right after sending my resume to an employee to set up a phone interview (45min). Then, they would invite you to Chicago for longer interviews.

Interview Questions

• YOu have $1M. How would you like to invest them?   1 Answer
    • You have a Portfolio with Delta=50. How would you hedge it?   1 Answer
    • Would you preferred to be staffed in Electronic Trading or Floor Trading?   Answer Question
    • I have $1M on hands. You're invited to a gangling game. Tails: Payoff: twice you bet (if you bet $1, you will get $2+ your bet). Heads= you lose your bet. How much would you bet (it's a one-off gamble, no second chance).   6 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DRW (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

There was a casual meet and greet the night before where candidates met with their possible interviewers and asked whatever remaining questions they had. The interview was 30 minutes long. It was mostly background questions and fit questions, why you want to be a trader. I was expecting brain teasers but was surprised that I got none. One question on investing in markets. They were very nice but the interview did not result in an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DRW (Chicago, IL) in November 2010.

Interview

They seem to be very proud of their unique culture in that they do not see themselves as a company that is quick to fire people. They talk a lot about their emphasis on educating their employees. I had a first roud half hour interview that consisted of some fit questions and a couple of brainteasers. I was encouraged to do these problems without a pen and paper, though I was allowed to if I needed to do so.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 6-sided cube that has a unique color on each side (6 different colors), how many possible combinations of unique cubes are there?   4 Answers