DSW Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DSW Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DSW (North Haven, CT).

Interview

Had a phone interview first, then they had me come in for an interview with the store manager. They she didn't even take the time to call back after the interview even though she stated the interview went well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for DSW

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was a 2 interview process but it was great. The Sm was very positive asked great insightful questions. A lot about my management style. The dm interview was over the phone. It was pretty much along the same lines as the in person with the Sm. I knew I wanted to work here after they both made me feel so at ease.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was quick and easy.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at DSW (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

Finished my two step application. Got a phone call the next day for a phone interview. Did three interviews total. Was hired within a week of that first phone call.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

Casual and relaxed. Interview was interrupted to assist with customers needs. Was told I'd get a phone call and instead received a corporate generated email stating I did not get the job. A little frustrating when time is taking and you get the automatic response. Seems to be a good company I guess I wasn't the right fit.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I applied online once as soon as I found out that a new DSW was coming to my hometown. I already work with shoes and was looking for a change of pace. I didn't hear anything for over a month, then out of the blue a store manager called me and wanted to set up an interview with me. The first interview went great! It felt like more of an intellectual conversation rather than an interview, the manager was very easy to talk to! He promised to call me and set up a second interview with his DM. He did as he said, and I had an interview with their DM a couple of weeks later. The manager that I originally interviewed with even went as far as to call me to get me prepped for the interview with his DM and helped me highlight key information about myself. He was so helpful, I've never experienced this kindness from a potential employer before. The second interview went great as well, and I was called a few hours later with a job offer and a pay offer that was way more than expected! I'm so extremely happy!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotion phase. They offered me more than I was expecting, so I was more than pleased!

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

I got the email notification that I was being considered for the position a few days after applying on line. I received a phone call from the Store manager to set up an interview about 2 weeks after the email. The interview was for 8 am and I got there early. I got a call from the SM saying she had to push back out meeting an hour later. I rolled with it. The interview was casual and pleasant, she really tried to get to know me and my values. It went well and was a positive experience. As I was driving home the SM called me to schedule a second interview with her DM and talked about money too. The next interview was scheduled for 4 days later in the late afternoon. I got a call from the SM asking me to reschedule because the DM had an emergency. Ok...I was flexible and willing to travel to the district office to accommodate the DM.. 62 miles from my home. I got to that interview a fee minutes early and had a nice chat with a store employee. When the DM brought me into her office she was fiddling with her printer for a few minutes and had her back to me...odd. She finally turned around and asked me about myself while she read my resume. Asked why I wanted to leave current job and I was very diplomatic and careful not to disparage the company. She tried to dig deeper and kept asking me to be more specific, saying she wasn't understanding. Then she didn't seem to like my career change reasons and by then I knew it wasn't going well.
    Got a rejection letter 5 hours later.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

Applied online, invited to do personality questionnaire. After two weeks phone interview was set up with store manager after the phone screen had in person interview with store manager. That went well so 2nd interview with another store manager. A week later Store Manager called to set up interview with DM. A week later background authorization came in email. Store manager called to say offer will be made after background check comes thru.

Interview Questions

• how do you create a work environment that the team wants to be involved in?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I gave the my salary requirements and they met them

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DSW.

Interview

The interview went south immediately. I was waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes and as soon as we went to the back to review my resume, the manager began to talk down on my credentials with complete disrespect. She Interrupted me every 20 seconds when she proposed scenarios of what I would do if a certain situation was to occur. Very distasteful with the way she presented store as a whole and the clearance floor was completely disheveled. I wouldn't advise anyone to work with this store manager for Nanuet. Not to mention, the operations room was completely in an upheaval.

Interview Questions

• Q. What would be a solution if the woman's shoe section was completely untidy, a mother lost her children, and the checkout line is moving extremely slower than normal all at once?   Answer Question
    • Q: What would you do to improve the UPT? (Units Per Transaction)   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at DSW in July 2015.

Interview

I had a total of three interviews. I applied for the assistant manger position at two locations - I had one interview with a store manager, then one with the district manager. After the position was filled for the 1st location, I was then interviewed by the store manager at the 2nd location. All interviews went very well - all of the staff I encountered were kind and seemed to know what they were looking for in a candidate.
    The two interviews with the store managers were in the break room, and the district manager interview was over the phone.
    The questions were both situation based as well as more broader questions regarding personality, work style preferences, and qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that others would say you are more reserved or outgoing?   Answer Question
    • If you notice an employee is not promoting the rewards program to customers, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at DSW in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with Store Manager in-store. It was a very relaxed atmosphere without pressure. I did my research on the company before the actual interview so it was very easy to discuss my strengths to complete the job per her and the companies description. Received phone call in one day stating there would be a second interview, over the phone, with the DM. After phone interview, had a second phone interview with another SM. this is not uncommon for upper management positions. It's all about consistency and getting a feel for the candidate. I never once felt overwhelmed by the interviewer or questions asked. Everyone was extremely passionate about what they do. It was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• In your past experience, how was a leadership role structured and what were your responsibilities for growing your business?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Always state your desired salary. Know your own worth and don't be afraid to negotiate. Research the positions and the posted salaries and understand the pay scale associated with each.