Daktronics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Daktronics Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

They are very GPA based when choosing a student employee. I had a 3.2 and they continually got on me during reviews to improve it. Not sure why that mattered so much to them, I feel like my work background and work results would mean more. Basically you need to tell them you are a hard worker and are willing to put in the hours to get the job done. Organization is key. Make sure you let them know you intend to stay with the company upon graduation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wage was not negotiable, can get increases based off of classes taken and passed.

Manufacturing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD).

Interview

after 3 trips to brookings and 200 miles of driving for appointments with an HR rep, that they cancelled,and never bothered to call me about , i finnally got to have one of the 4 seperate interviews.I interviewed with people that had no idea about the job that I was even applying for and I had to inform them of what it involved,since 2 of the interviewers were sophmore students.2 weeks later,someone called me to report to dak,and couldnt even tell me where to report to at the facility.

Interview Questions

• my name was the most difficult,because the interviewers had no idea what i was applying for   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation-8.00 an hour is the highest pay offered to start

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

Phone Interview reviewing the basic information from your resume. The interview was 30 minutes long. Review other option of relocating.

Interview Questions

• Would I be interested in relocating?   1 Answer

Electronic Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in November 2013.

Interview

Originally received a phone call to set up a 20-30 minute phone interview. Upon completion of phone interview, I was told they wanted to follow up with an onsite interview within a few weeks and they would get back to me. Called me back a few days later with a date in mind and set it up.

Traveled to Brookings for the onsite interview. The interview was about 3 hours. It started with a short interview with the supervisor for the position, followed by a tour of the manufacturing facility, followed by an interview with the hiring manager, followed by another department employee, and ended with an interview with an HR representative.

The travel reimbursement for the interview was simply cost of gas, which I found to be a negative as most other interviews I went for, it was mileage and about three times as much.

About 3 weeks went by and I sent a follow up interview (as I thought I was told I would hear back in that time frame). Received a phone call the next day that they planned to extend me an offer and would call back with details in a few days. Called back with the offer and did a quick half hour walkthrough of the offer with plans to catch up again at the end of the week with additional questions.

The offer was right before Christmas so we agreed to catch up after and set a timeline for responding to the offer. Caught up after Christmas and I let them know about my other potential opportunities and that I wanted to explore them, so we planned for about 2.5 weeks to have an answer.

Sent an email a few days before the deadline stating some concerns and mentioning that I wished to negotiate. Received an email the weekend after the deadline stating that we would catch up at the beginning of that week.

We spoke about concerns regarding some of the benefits I had and he asked me what number I was thinking I wanted. I was up front with an honest number about 10% higher than what they offered. He said he would talk to the hiring manager as well as do some more research of his own and get back to me the following day. He called the next two nights stating that he had not had time to complete what he wanted, so planned to talk after the weekend (about 5 days) with a decision on their end.

Through the process they told me that they came forward with their best offer, but were open to negotiation. Ultimately the HR representative called back and told me that they did not feel comfortable extending above the original offer (which was about average for my school and below the going rate I found from research; however, my GPA, extracurriculars, and internship experience was worth more than an average candidate in my opinion).

The benefits were average in some areas, but weak in areas such as yearly bonus, 401k (low match in company stock and no ROTH option), and tuition reimbursement.

I did not originally want to interview for the Test Engineer position (which Daktronics chose to kinda push me into), but the upside with this one was that a lot of responsibility would be given. In my experience, I found that this job would most likely need an employee who was hard working and willing to go the extra mile, which I felt also needed an extra financial boost for the position.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Daktronics in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was an initial phone screen. The Human Resources Coordinator was very pleasant to talk to and answered the questions that I had regarding the position. Provided further proof that Daktronics is a company that I would like to work for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Daktronics in July 2008.

Interview

I was referred from an employee and was intially called and then they scheduled a day for me to come out of visit the headquarters for interviews and I interviewed with 5 people, met the co-founder of the company, servaral vice presidents, and higher level managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation, it is a final offer and that is it, take it or leave it.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied for the position on the company website and had a pre-screening phone interview with HR within 2 weeks. The HR person was very pleasant and the questions were the standard set of pre-screen questions. Asked me about what kind of projects I've worked on and had a few specific questions about some of the items on my resume. Also asked about my desired salary. After another week or two, I had a group panel phone interview with the same HR person and 3 of the company engineers related to the position I was interviewing for. They asked more specific questions about the projects listed on my resume, aiming to get at my experience with MCUs and FPGAs. Then after another couple of weeks, they flew me out for an in-person interview at the company's headquarters. This interview consisted of a tour of the town, a breakfast and lunch 1:1 interview with one of the engineers from the phone panel interview, 1:1 interview from the two other engineers on the phone panel, and a tour of the facilities. It ended with a phone interview with the same HR person, who located at another location. Throughout, there weren't really any technical questions, just specific questions about the projects I had listed on my resume. The offer came as a phone call with the HR person and one of the engineers who interview me on the phone. Overall, the company seems like a great place to work, although they won't be paying you top salary because of their location. My asking salary was far greater than what they wanted to pay, and I wasn't told this until the offer was presented. The work environment is setup as one giant room subdivided using cubicles. They have a cafe on-site and their manufacturing is done on-site as well. They even have a PCB subsidiary company which engineers can use to produce prototype boards.

Interview Questions

I received a better offer from another company.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Coast Village (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Daktronics (West Coast Village (Singapore)) in January 2009.

Interview

Several phone interviews, followed by mass, in person interview in Brookings, SD.

Interview Questions

• 'Do you think this job might be beneath you?'   1 Answer

Negotiation

Company pay plans are a bit like socialism.

Student Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter by email to set up a pre-screening interview over the phone. This interview consisted of typical questions regarding my interest in working for Daktronics, my background, and future plans. About a week later, I was contacted by phone to set up an in-person interview at one of their offices. This interview was a series of one-on-one interviews with a group of the software development team leads. Most of the questions were about my resume and what languages and technologies I was familiar with. Specifically, I was asked if I had programmed in C++, C# or JavaScript before. After this set of interviews, I was given an hour-long programming exam. Each question corresponded to a major topic that is covered in the Computer Science curriculum at SDSU. The questions increased in difficulty. That concluded the in-person interview, and I was contacted by phone a few days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was related to tracing through a series of function calls and determining what the console output was. If you have taken Programming Languages at SDSU, this type of question should be familiar   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation since it's a student position, but hours are really flexible.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Daktronics in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was first contacted by HR. I had an initial 30 minute phone interview with HR. About two weeks later I had another 30 minute phone interview with the regional manager. A few weeks after that I had another 30 minute phone interview with the sales manager at HQ. About two weeks after that the regional manager came to meet with me. We had a 2 hour breakfast meeting. Then I heard nothing for about 3 weeks. Finally, I got an offer but it was just too low. I am very impressed with the people I spoke with. The company seemed to be a very good fit and would have been a great opportunity but the offer was not good enough.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I just wish they would have addressed their salary expectations earlier so I did not have to go through the 2 plus month experience only to not accept the offer due to the low wage.   1 Answer

I received an offer and tried to negotiate backed up by some good numbers and research. They were unwilling to negotiate and I was not willing to go backwards in terms of overall financial status. The salary was not bad but the entire compensation package was just too low.