Daktronics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.6

Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in November 2014.

Interview

Prior to coming to corporate you will generally have 2 phone interviews with an HR recruiter after which they will move forward to a phone panel interview with 3 supervisors. If you are chosen to come onto campus for an in person interview. These interviews are fairly relaxed. They mainly just wanted to ensure you could have a conversation. They ask you some questions but from what it sounded they didn't want to know to much more from what was previously said during the phone interview.

After which you are provided with a tour of the factory and head quarters... be careful because most of the interns report back to their supervisor with how you acted... it's kind of a sneaky second interview when you feel more relaxed speaking with a current intern.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the questions personally. But I know some were behavioral based and then they just wanted to know what your personal preferences were towards working in Transportation, High School Parks and Rec, or in Live Events.   1 Answer

Sales Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

Had an 2 different phone interviews, one was a group call. Then I was supposed to go on site for my third interview, but they only had time to do it on a day where I was unable to make it so they said I could do my interviews over Skype instead. Although they said that a Skype interview wouldnt make any difference, I think not meeting in person with them may have been my downfall in not getting the internship, because my interview went very well considering it was over Skype.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time while you were on the job and had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Electrical Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in April 2014.

Interview

Asked a lot of technical questions reading to electronics technology and a focus on circuits. The human resources hiring manager asks questions regarding educational background pertaining to the work required by the job.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any specific questions. How did you solve a problem and what resources did you use?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

Phone Interview reviewing the basic information from your resume. The interview was 30 minutes long. Review other option of relocating.

Interview Questions

• Would I be interested in relocating?   1 Answer

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD).

Interview

Short telephone interview with HR representative. Call back 2 days later to invite for an in-person interview with shift supervisor and HR rep. Called back for follow up interview approximately 1 week later with Plant manager, shift supervisor and HR representative. Final interview/tour a week after that with same 3 personnel.

Interview Questions

• Mainly just general questions. Why do you want to work for us? How far do you see yourself going in our company? Tell us about a time when...   Answer Question

Electronic Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in November 2013.

Interview

Originally received a phone call to set up a 20-30 minute phone interview. Upon completion of phone interview, I was told they wanted to follow up with an onsite interview within a few weeks and they would get back to me. Called me back a few days later with a date in mind and set it up.

Traveled to Brookings for the onsite interview. The interview was about 3 hours. It started with a short interview with the supervisor for the position, followed by a tour of the manufacturing facility, followed by an interview with the hiring manager, followed by another department employee, and ended with an interview with an HR representative.

The travel reimbursement for the interview was simply cost of gas, which I found to be a negative as most other interviews I went for, it was mileage and about three times as much.

About 3 weeks went by and I sent a follow up interview (as I thought I was told I would hear back in that time frame). Received a phone call the next day that they planned to extend me an offer and would call back with details in a few days. Called back with the offer and did a quick half hour walkthrough of the offer with plans to catch up again at the end of the week with additional questions.

The offer was right before Christmas so we agreed to catch up after and set a timeline for responding to the offer. Caught up after Christmas and I let them know about my other potential opportunities and that I wanted to explore them, so we planned for about 2.5 weeks to have an answer.

Sent an email a few days before the deadline stating some concerns and mentioning that I wished to negotiate. Received an email the weekend after the deadline stating that we would catch up at the beginning of that week.

We spoke about concerns regarding some of the benefits I had and he asked me what number I was thinking I wanted. I was up front with an honest number about 10% higher than what they offered. He said he would talk to the hiring manager as well as do some more research of his own and get back to me the following day. He called the next two nights stating that he had not had time to complete what he wanted, so planned to talk after the weekend (about 5 days) with a decision on their end.

Through the process they told me that they came forward with their best offer, but were open to negotiation. Ultimately the HR representative called back and told me that they did not feel comfortable extending above the original offer (which was about average for my school and below the going rate I found from research; however, my GPA, extracurriculars, and internship experience was worth more than an average candidate in my opinion).

The benefits were average in some areas, but weak in areas such as yearly bonus, 401k (low match in company stock and no ROTH option), and tuition reimbursement.

I did not originally want to interview for the Test Engineer position (which Daktronics chose to kinda push me into), but the upside with this one was that a lot of responsibility would be given. In my experience, I found that this job would most likely need an employee who was hard working and willing to go the extra mile, which I felt also needed an extra financial boost for the position.

Student Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Daktronics.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter by email to set up a pre-screening interview over the phone. This interview consisted of typical questions regarding my interest in working for Daktronics, my background, and future plans. About a week later, I was contacted by phone to set up an in-person interview at one of their offices. This interview was a series of one-on-one interviews with a group of the software development team leads. Most of the questions were about my resume and what languages and technologies I was familiar with. Specifically, I was asked if I had programmed in C++, C# or JavaScript before. After this set of interviews, I was given an hour-long programming exam. Each question corresponded to a major topic that is covered in the Computer Science curriculum at SDSU. The questions increased in difficulty. That concluded the in-person interview, and I was contacted by phone a few days later and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I was asked was related to tracing through a series of function calls and determining what the console output was. If you have taken Programming Languages at SDSU, this type of question should be familiar   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation since it's a student position, but hours are really flexible.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Daktronics in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was first contacted by HR. I had an initial 30 minute phone interview with HR. About two weeks later I had another 30 minute phone interview with the regional manager. A few weeks after that I had another 30 minute phone interview with the sales manager at HQ. About two weeks after that the regional manager came to meet with me. We had a 2 hour breakfast meeting. Then I heard nothing for about 3 weeks. Finally, I got an offer but it was just too low. I am very impressed with the people I spoke with. The company seemed to be a very good fit and would have been a great opportunity but the offer was not good enough.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I just wish they would have addressed their salary expectations earlier so I did not have to go through the 2 plus month experience only to not accept the offer due to the low wage.   1 Answer

I received an offer and tried to negotiate backed up by some good numbers and research. They were unwilling to negotiate and I was not willing to go backwards in terms of overall financial status. The salary was not bad but the entire compensation package was just too low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookings, SD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Daktronics (Brookings, SD) in March 2013.

Interview

The process was very straight-forward and professional I have seen companies drag things out for months. Daktronics doesn't waste time--theirs nor mine. I appreciated that. The questions were thoughtful and the staff was very professional.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

Interview

You will be interview twice, once with human resources and a second time with your direct manager. If this is still the case, the HR specialist will offer floor jobs to you and try to persuade you to chose a floor/manufacturing job, choose the job you have came in for!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, I was employed as a student supervisor.

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Daktronics Sales and Marketing Interview Brookings, SD I don't remember the questions personally. But I know some were behavioral based and then they just wanted to know what your personal preferences were towards working in Transportation, High School Parks and Rec, or in Live Events.
Daktronics Sales Internship Interview Describe a time while you were on the job and had to overcome an obstacle.
Daktronics Electrical Design Interview Brookings, SD I do not recall any specific questions. How did you solve a problem and what resources did you use?
Daktronics Sales Representative Interview Would I be interested in relocating?
Daktronics Production Interview Brookings, SD Mainly just general questions. Why do you want to work for us? How far do you see yourself going in our company? Tell us about a time when...
Daktronics Student Tech Interview The most difficult question I was asked was related to tracing through a series of function calls and determining what the console output was. If you have taken Programming Languages at SDSU, this type of question should be familiar
Daktronics Sales Representative Interview None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I just wish they would have addressed their salary expectations earlier so I did not have to go through the 2 plus month experience only to not accept the offer due to the low wage.
Daktronics Sales Representative Interview Brookings, SD Why do you think you're a good fit for this role?
Daktronics Marketing Associate Interview Brookings, SD Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?