Darden Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.3

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Darden (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview was a welcomed challenge. It was about 1hr 30 minutes long. I enjoyed my interview by phone. He did his job to the fullest and I thanked him for challenging me. Most phone interviews were a joke in comparison. I enjoyed being challenged by his interview process and skills. The in personal interview with the director took 2 hours, I enjoyed it as well. He cared about my abilities, he asked the same question in many different ways. I felt respected and that he was concerned about me fitting in with what Darden needed and my skills sets. He was a welcomed challenge as well. Most times as a female manager, past experience with interviews were such a joke, but I was very excited that my mind was challenged. Excuse me if I sound narcissistic, not intended. I love working in the restaurant industry.

Interview Questions

• How to go above and beyond guest expectations to wow them?   1 Answer
    • None   1 Answer

Negotiation

I requested what I was worth and was told we don't usually hire at that rate. I replied that I was more than worth every penny and more. Two days later I was offered $2k less. I am here to put my all in and welcomed all challenges. I am not afraid to learn new aspects of my job to make me sharper at what I do best, dazzle every guest. It feels great when the day was a challenge. I earn every penny. I will not sit in an office, I am on the floor, in the trenches with my crewmembers.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Darden (Rockville, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

The process was quick, warm and inviting. I was extended an interview automatically, based on my Darden's TAS ( online evaluation) prescreening assement score. An automated repy, instructing applicaticant to call the restaurant, speak with a manager, and setup an interview will be sent to all scores ranging from 70-100, (100 is the highest possible). On the interview I was offered a beverage, given a warm hand shake and an apology for the short wait. The interviewer was most concerned with my availability, how many shifts I would willing to work and income requirements (average weekly tips). I was asked a series of questions geared towards customer service skills, experience, food/wine/coctail knowledge and salesmanship.

Interview Questions

• I was asked four questions-

1) what is your favorite food? Sell me that dish as if I was a guest.
      2) Is there a difference between service and hospitality? If so, what are the differences?
      3) Can you name four scotchs?
      4) I have several interviews, what sets you apart from the rest and makes you the best candidate?
      1 Answer

Information Security Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Darden in August 2014.

Interview

Initial HR thirty minute phone screen for core competencies. Next week technical thirty minute phone screen with hiring manager . Third week all day on-site 1 on 1 sessions with management.

Interview Questions

• each area asked about situations in their domain. met with all IT divisions   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Darden (Orlando, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online via the Darden website. Received a call from a recruiter about two weeks later. Had a brief 20 minute interview with the recruiter. A few days the recruiter called me back and set up a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. During that interview, the hiring manager asked me to come back for a full day interview. Meet with six different business partners and team members from 9 am to 4 pm. They provided lunch. It was a long day, and I had to take PTO from my current employer. The recruiter met with me last and went over the benefit package and payroll. (Which really made me feel like I was going to get the job.) The interview was on a Thursday, and by the following Thursday they called me and told me they went with another candidate. At the end, the recruiter gave me a $25 Darden gift card.

Interview Questions

• It was a long day meeting with 6 different employees. I don't recall a specific question. Mostly about job-based questions and how I process information.   Answer Question

Server/Bartender Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Darden (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

You must know your stuff. People who are hired at the Capital Grille are required to be nearly expert in all areas of service. This is not a job for first time servers. The interview is just like any other interview. Once you are hired things get a little more difficult. A wealth of knowledge must be absorbed in a relatively short period of time.

Interview Questions

• What is it that makes you want to work for The Capital Grille?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Darden in February 2015.

Interview

Spoke with the District manager. Called later by the talent acquisition person. Informed of what my salary would be. went into training. Training includes going to Corporate headquarters to speak with higher level management.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Darden (Tampa, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by the Service Manager on 1 day and the Managing Partner the next day. Both interviews were very in-depth and lasted more than 30 minutes each. Although I dressed very smartly in expensive jeans, heels matching belt, bag and blouse and blazer, I was told in my 1st interview to "dress up" to meet with the Managing Partner. So keep that in mind.

Interview Questions

• What about me did I think would make me an asset to their team?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morgantown, WV

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Darden (Morgantown, WV) in September 2015.

Interview

It started off with an introduction of myself and why I am interested in this company. Then, it moved into a behavioral based question section where I was asked about 5 behavioral based questions. At the end of the interview I was able to ask any questions that I had for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed, but you were able to push forward and overcome this obstacle.   1 Answer

Olive Garden Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Braunfels, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Darden (New Braunfels, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

There are 3 interview, the first they learn about your work history and what why you want to work at their company, the second is with a different manager so they can know more about you and what you offer, then the third is with the GM and is more of a finalization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

If you have previous restaurant expirience defiantly negotiate hourly pay to more than 9.50.

Server/Host/to Go Specialist/Prep Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brown Deer, WI

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Darden (Brown Deer, WI).

Interview

Filled out online. Manager called to schedule interview. Interview by two Managers. First one was mean 2nd one nice. Didn't get the job cause they don't like you to work with relatives. Say you don't know anyone there!