Darden Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.3

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Darden (Orlando, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

They take their recruitment process pretty seriously, investing the amount of time necessary to learn about each candidate they contact. It takes a little while, but they're courteous along the way and always keep you updated. The recruiter contacted me via email and we had a phone screening a few days later. She had me take a skills assessment and then after a few days she invited me to interview in person at a later date. In-person interviews were 2 hours, very organized, and they are extremely welcoming.

Web Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Darden.

Interview

Initial phone interview with hiring manager followed by in-person interview on site. In person interview length was about 4 hours, and consisted of meeting with members from the immediate team as well as with the management of related teams. Managers made sure that expectations of the position were clearly laid out and discussed, with ample time given for questions.

Interview Questions

• None that come to mind. Interview was fair and based on abilities/skills.   Answer Question

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Darden (Portage, MI).

Interview

I had one interview, and had to take a written test, fill in the blank- which took an hour and a half. I was asked about my previous work history, my strengths and weaknesses, why I applied there, why I think I should be hired, and what my goals were. It went great, and it was actually fun.

Interview Questions

• Name your biggest strength and biggest weakness.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation involved.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Darden (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interviewing process at yardhouse is very quick, spoke with 4 managers in one interview. The training process is what is extensive. 8 days of training, paid, but it is hardcore! Definitely worth putting the time and effort into learning everything though!

Interview Questions

• What did you like about your your previous restaurant job? Why do you like the service industry? Talk about a time that frustrated you and how you worked it out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Darden (Nashville, TN) in January 2015.

Interview

Quick process. It is a standard restaraunt interview. They ask you basic questions about past experiences and situations to ensure you can handle the job. Many questions pertain to back of the house as well as the front of the house situations.

Interview Questions

• Do you have your ABC permit?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Darden (Birmingham, AL) in January 2015.

Interview

It was pretty relaxed. They don't seem to believe in a dress code for the process so that can be a pro or a con. Everything changes once you're hired but I enjoy the flexibility of the schedules. It helps when you need a quick dollar on the weekends or in general. But as far as long term goes, I don't see it as a place to truly grow. Im here because it helps make tuition easier to afford.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Darden (Orlando, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

I met with a woman and was told i would hear back in a few days. It was a pleasant experience and the questions were average. The woman was nice and friendly but I don't think I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you provided excellent customer service   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Darden.

Interview

I applied to a position in passing while surfing the internet, only to forget that I had done so until I was contacted for an interview. I interviewed for a low level position that has no barring on why the company is performing poorly, but you'd have a hard time knowing that given the unnecessary high standard they have for their candidates. If only upper management was scrutinized to the same degree that fresh candidates are scrutinized for low level analyst work. Sorry we all don't have 10 years experience contributing to a declining brand! Interview was average compared to others, just really bizarre standards for a company that is bleeding money.

They sold off Red Lobster and they're desperately trying to restructure Olive Garden, but unfortunately for them, they reacted far too slowly to the obvious changing tastes in their industry. Their gaffe with Obamacare was a huge blow to their reputation as well.

Even if you get through their process, avoid this place. Open the business section, they had their time in the sun and they don't want fresh talent to help them.

Bartender/Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Darden (Memphis, TN).

Interview

Two interviews were required. My first interview was centered on experience. Questions included how to handle difficult guests, examples of up-selling, and drink knowledge for a position behind the bar. Finally, a personality test. Took about 30 minutes, asked the same questions in different ways to see if you're being honest.

Interview Questions

• "Sell me a Coke." I can think of great descriptions for lots of dishes, but a beverage? Without alcohol? That was the hardest question.   Answer Question

Hostess At Seasons 52 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Darden in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was e-mailed to call for an interview. I interviewed a few days later and was offered the job on the spot. I had to speak to all 3 (!!) managers, and answer similar questions with all three. Questions included, why do you want this job, do you have restaurant experience, what would your previous supervisor say about you, what was your favorite and least favorite part of your last job, what is your biggest strength and weakness, etc. I do not have any restaurant experience but I do have a college degree, and have worked retail.

I would suggest emphasizing your joy of working with and interacting with people, especially customers if you have customer service experience. Always remain very pleasant and speak clearly, as this is a front-of-house position.

Interview Questions

• If a customer was irate because a reservation made for 8:00 was still not ready by 8:30, what would you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They just said "We start our hostesses at $9.50/hour." There was not any time to negotiate.