Dartmouth Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dartmouth Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in August 2016.

Interview

Stay far, far away. My experience applying for and interviewing for an executive assistant role has been nothing short of surreal. The process was grueling - a phone screen, 2 writing assignments, on campus interview, case study, another on campus interview, multiple phone calls. The require 5 references and a background check, in addition to speaking with your current supervisor. I refused to let them contact my current boss and they lost it. Received angry phones, accused me of being disingenuous through the interview process and basically try to bully me into doing what they wanted. Never, ever have had any experience like this before.

Interview Questions

• The wanted to speak with my current employer   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in June 2011.

Interview

Full day itinerary for a basic clerical/administrative role: met with 3-4 interview panels throughout the day (with 3-4 interviewers per panel) for 30-60 minute sessions; met individually with HR director, hiring manager and director. 15 minute breaks included in schedule.

Interview Questions

• Ex 1: Provide examples from your previous work experience that illustrate: your conflict resolution skills with coworkers or clients, quality of your attention to and detail, transferable skill sets. Ex 2: Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly intensive. Initially, I submitted a resume and cover letter. I was contacted by admin and shortly had two 30 minute phone interviews with research project managers on staff. The questions were a combination of reviewing my former experiences, a few scenario questions, and asking about why I wanted to be a fellow and how it fit my overall career plans. After this I was flown on site for a day long interview process. This consisted of several one-on-one interviews with other project managers and faculty. Additionally we had a written assignment analyzing data, and a group presentation with other interviewees. The final steps were contacting three references, and a written assessment responding to a policy prompt.
    I was offered a job a week after the final assignment.

Interview Questions

• How does this job contribute to your overall career goals?   Answer Question

Position Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

It was a very lengthy interview process... multiple interviews/chats, a panel phone screen, long visit with a nice tour. Everyone was friendly though! I wouldn't recommend going out of your way unless you LOVE Dartmouth... as these people clearly do, which is a great thing. Location isn't especially great if you are not accustomed to NH life.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH).

Interview

Phone screen followed by an afternoon of interviews including 2 group interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dartmouth.

Interview

Very complicated, intensive process overall. First a phone interview with HR Manager, then in-person interview with HR Manager, which included correcting a writing sample for them to "grade" later. I then had to have another interview with HR where I had thirty minutes to write a letter describing what I felt the position to entail, after a conversation with the HR Manager when I could ask questions, etc. Finally, there was marathon afternoon of interviews, after which I barely knew my name. I met with 7 different people over three hours. Some where group interviews and some where one-on-one. Some where intense firing squad questions, some were more laidback, casual conversations. I was pleased the organization takes so much time and effort to hire the right people, but it was not the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What would be most difficult about this position for you?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in January 2009.

Interview

I had an unconventional interview process in that I had not originally applied for graduate school at Dartmouth, but happened to find myself talking to some of the professors. The encouraged me to apply, I was accepted, and that was that. Dartmouth is excellent in that it is a small enough school that individual professors and students can have a big impact on the department, and the upper management has a lot of faith in the professors. Typically, however, the application process consists of making contact with a professor and asking if the are accepting graduate students. This is a critical first step to applying to graduate school. Next, you fill out the online paperwork and send transcripts, etc. If they like you, they will offer you an interview. For the interview, you are flown to Hanover, where there is a recruitment weekend. The recruitment consists of giving a presentation in front of the department, seeing presentations by other applicants and professors (asking questions during these talks is an easy way to make yourself stand out). You will also meet with individual professors at some point. Basically it is a weekend to feel scrutinized, in competition with your peers, and stressed out in general. After that you go home, wait a few weeks and hope to hear from them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no, there is no negotiating. come on, this is grad school.

LMS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in January 2012.

Interview

I originally applied online on October 5th. I received an email to schedule a phone interview in mid November. The phone interview was with a committee of 8 people. Four weeks after the phone interview I was emailed to schedule an in person interview/campus visit which took place in early January. The in person interviews began at 8:30am and went through dinner. They consisted of several panel interviews, a 1 on 1 with the hiring manager, and a 30 minute presentation followed by a 30 minute Q&A. Lunch and dinner were also with the search committee and the prospective department members. The week after my interviews they began a very comprehensive reference check, and required to speak with current and previous supervisor. I declined the current and was informed that my offer would be contingent on that conversation. The final step was a conversation with HR where they asked my current and desired salary, and confirmed details for my background check. I got an offer 16 days after my campus visit.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up on current trends in your field (in the industry)?   Answer Question

a combination of factors but mainly that I received a promotion in my current job and was offered the ability to work remotely, flexibility that would not have been possible at Dartmouth.

Associate Director, Systems & Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH) in October 2011.

Interview

I am a tough customer; I have read extensively and attempted to practice proper recruiting - I have to say that the recruiting process at Dartmouth is precisely how it is supposed to be to attract good talent - you deal directly with the hiring manager right from the start, and this remains your main point of contact throughout the process (no HR phone screens and other silly non-job related time sinks in this process). The in-person was a full day of panel interviews with all interested parties, from the CIO right on down to the department individual contribs. Again, the entire process was shepherded by the hiring manager. After meeting almost everyone, I was invited to meet one exec that was not there the day I was scheduled at a later date. The exec even met me half way for a breakfast meeting - a very fair and proper gesture. The meeting went well and an offer was conveyed to me shortly afterwards.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with SLA enforcement?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was fine on salary/bennies, but the sticking point was start date, as this was a relo for me. In the end, the process was very easy, and the college and I found a suitable solution. A good way to start one's employment - no ultimatums, no "take it or leave it" offers, just out and out proper recruiting.

Campus Tour Guide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH).

Interview

After submitting the original application, candidates were selected to be interviewed by a panel of admissions officers. Most of it was to assess public speaking skills, and how well you can articulate and relay information in a concise and engaging manner.

Interview Questions

• A 30 second pitch for an admissions-related topic (e.g., quarter system; study-abroad)   Answer Question