Deakin University Interview Questions in Australia | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.8

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University.

Interview

Went for an interview quite a while back, answered questions discussing technical stuff. Later turned out that most of the stuff I discussed was too deep for them. The interview was typical, the boss was an old woman who had no problems interrupting people in the middle of sentences, and gave a dictatorial vibe, the others seemed intimidated by her. Two of the other interviewers seemed nervous and flinched sometimes when I made eye contact during my answers. Overall the questions were vague, and I got the feeling that my answers were going over their heads . Later I heard that they had hired someone they know.
    I would advise people from going to their interviews, because most of the time they hire people they know, and basically hold sham interviews to fill out the paperwork, and uphold the pretence of a fair chance, since it is a public university.

Interview Questions

• How will you fit into the team (How would I know that without meeting the team...)?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview was one on one meeting. Two people interviewed me and asked me HR related questions as they as already filtered the technical part by seeing my resume. They asked me more about my personal traits and tested my team management, conflict management skills.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Two people interviewed me. I was asked about my personal traits and tested my team management and conflict management skills. Superiors check whether we can fit to occupy the position in a Australian work force.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geelong (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Geelong (Australia)) in May 2016.

Interview

Typical Interview questions and discussion, 4 interviewer following protocol of interview questions, not very personal, approximately 10-15 questions, most of them very outcome focused and future orientated, open discussion at the end, but interviewer did not leave much space for thinking, expected prompt answers (as of my feeling), felt pressured.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Submitted my application. you must address the selection criteria. Was advised i was shorltisted to interview. Interview confirmation details were great. Interview was a panel. It was formal but friendly. Great opportunity to build relationships.
    Next stage was a secondary catch up t ogo over the offer and contract. Then followed by a meet and great withthe team. There was constant contact.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to join the higher education sector?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Superb. Very easy, professional and succinct.

Casual Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2012.

Interview

2 stage progress.

Written Application with CV, Cover letter - make sure show academic performance and address key selection criteria very clearly.

Group Interview - this was conducted in a pair or other groups were bigger, it was a series of questions about interest, what you could bring to the position, ideas you had for the role, how you work in teams or with conflict.

The interviewers had clear checklists of what they were looking for and provided good feedback after the interview.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2011.

Interview

Thee interviewers. 2 from the job department and one from a different department
    They greet well and start asking general question like where are you from, your education etc.
    They ask if you have had any experience previously.
    Even though everything is mentioned on CV, I think they are looking on how you react to questions and how well you will interact to queries.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deakin University (Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)) in January 2010.

Interview

Interview was pleasant and consisted of a panel interview via phone. The selection committee made me feel at ease and were happy to answer any questions. The interview was well structured and coordinated and kept to time. The committee stressed the flexibility of the work culture and their emphasis on work/life balance.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne (Australia)) in April 2009.

Interview

Pretty standard process. They short listed the applicants and followed up with a phone interview. The interview was focused on skills and how you want to progress research. I got an offer within 30 days after the interview. It surprised me that I only had to do the phone interview. I was living overseas, so they may not have had the budget to fly people in. It tells me though that they are pretty skill driven, rather than behavioural driven

Interview Questions

• The interview was very predictable. No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation. They have set levels of pay.