Deliveroo Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Deliveroo Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Deliveroo

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in September 2019.

Interview

Initial screening call.
Take home test covering probability, Python and general maths. Takes a couple of hours.
On site interview with two different panels, asking lots of questions about background, experience and data science skillset.
Final interview I was given a take home exercise, I was asked to present my findings on site, and probing questions followed that.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the addressable demand for the sector in the UK?   Answer Question
  • What would be the impact of hiring additional riders in the UK?   Answer Question
  • How would you measure the success of a marketing channel?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deliveroo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1) Technical Test
    2) 2 x Face to Face interviews with 4 interviewers altogether
    3) Case Study Presentation and Final interview

Don't be misled by the job title. This is not a Data Science role, but rather a general BI role.

The technical test consists of a series of technical questions in a language of your choice. I chose SQL and it was not too difficult.

The face to face interviews are mostly competency questions but you do receive some SQL questions and some case study questions.

If you are successful, you will be provided a dataset for Rider data and will be asked to produce some insights on a loyalty scheme (in your own time). You will need to prepare a PowerPoint for the presentation. I was also asked to complete a further SQL test and was asked to turn it around within a couple days which was unreasonable. This just consisted of correcting syntax errors and making the code more efficient.

The group presentation will be attended by four assessors. Unfortunately it seems you are required to reach the same answers as they produced as they do not seem willing to accept any insights which they have not thought of themselves. There are many correct answers in analytics and so it is disappointing to be told there is only one right answer.

The interviewer is meant to be with the CTO. Unfortunately he cancelled on me as he had other commitments. Its not very professional to ask someone to take time out of their full time role to attend an interview and not bother conducting the interview. I was told this would be rescheduled by I was informed I failed the presentation so this obviously fell through.

Would not recommend Deliveroo as the role is misleading, they're not receptive for new ideas and they're not very professional. I feel the case study is a ploy to get free work out of candidates.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had the first round with an internal recruiter on the phone, then had a video interview with a DS Manager, then had a final round onsite with 4-5 rounds with DS directors, managers, and product managers. The recruiter I was working with (James R) was extremely professional, worked with my timeline, and supported me extremely well throughout the process. Everyone I interviewed with was friendly and smart. The office is hands down the best office I've ever seen (with an impressive rooftop garden).

Interview Questions

• How does Deliveroo make money, some specific data cases   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very good. Interviews were well organised and I was made to feel welcome. Recruitment team were responsive and easy to work with throughout the entire process and gave a favourable impression of the company.

Application

Interview

I had to go through 5 stages in the interview process.
    1. Applied online through company website
    2. Phone interview with HR (30min)
    3. Take home test (skills based -- basic math calculations, R, SQL, Python, Reasoning, Logic)
    4. Two 2:1 case interviews and general background check, CV talk (2 hours)
    5. Presentation (Deliveroo provides questions and data for the analysis)

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your CV
      Your experience with data analysis
      Why Deliveroo
      Your experience with data analysis
      What did you do in your previous job and why are you looking for a new job
      Your experience with data analysis tools (R, Python, SQL, Tableau, Looker etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in April 2019.

Interview

- The first interview was a phone call with the technical recruiter, who described the role and had a relaxed conversation about my CV and what I'm looking for. The recruiter also sent me some preparation material to prepare for the next round.
    - Next one was two 30 minute interviews in the office with a PM and a Data Scientist. Mostly asked about my experience with Data Science and Experimentation.
    - Final one included 4 interviews (Behavioural Interview, Product Interview , Stakeholder Interview, Business Case Interview). Again, the recruiter really helped me prepare for all of these and all the interviewers were friendly and made me feel very welcome.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experiment you owned and how you communicated results to the stakeholders.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

There was a total of 3 rounds, from phone screening, to understanding of the business ending by a presentation on a dataset provided with open ended questions.
    Two of the interviews were on site meeting the analytics managers.

Interview Questions

• Past relevant experiences
      Business unit economics of the company and profitability   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

Initial relaxed phone call with their technical recruiter. Followed by two video interviews. Then an afternoon of 4 face to face interviews with members of the different teams a Data Scientist commonly interacts with . These interviews were back to back with a break in the middle with the recruiter.

The interview types were:
    - 2 Career History
    - 2 Behavioural/Cultural Fit
    - 2 Experimentation/Technical

The Experimentation/Technical interviews focussed on my experience of running experimentation, the statistical considerations you make when setting up experiments and examples of data analysis I have completed that led to an action.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experiment/analysis you’ve complete from start to finish. What steps were involved and how were the results were communicated to stakeholders?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Overall, it was a very pleasant interview and onboarding experience. I required visa sponsorship and Deliveroo was extremely supportive throughout. They assigned an immigration lawyer to help me through the process and updated me regularly. It did take a while between my application and setting up the first round interview, but once the interview process was kicked off, everything was set up quickly.

The first round interview consisted of fit questions and business-focussed questions. Then I had to complete a take-home test where I was given some data and had to answer a few questions and make recommendations around my findings. Final round was presenting my analysis to 4 - 5 people in the team, and a fit interview afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are Deliveroo's biggest costs? Draw a diagram of how you think Deliveroo's order volumes vary over a day. Would you rather take on a more technical role, or focus on business problems? What would your ideal project be like? What statistical techniques would you use in xyz scenario?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Deliveroo (London, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

First stage involved a quick video call with a Deliveroo internal recruiter. It was very relaxed and straight forward, just getting an idea of background, skills, why you are interested in the job etc.
    Second stage was a take home test. It certainly wasn't easy but I found it doable. The test covers basic business acumen questions, statistical problems, a section on SQL, and finally a choice between a Python and R section.