Dell Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.9

332 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

SSR - Support Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

Lunch, getting to know job requirements and expectations. Assuring job requirements meet experience. Reviewing matrix of job performance. Setting up team meeting to make sure job fit is good for candidate and team members.

Client Technical Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX).

Interview

Applied in mid February right after they posted position on their website, got an interview early March. Interview was behavioral and tech. based. The two managers were very friendly and easy to talk to. Received an offer 2 weeks later. Make sure you have specific examples of your experiences regarding the behavior questions and catch up on some basic computer hardware/software.

Interview Questions

Dell Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your review of your interview experience. Congratulations on your offer and welcome!

Strategic Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

A recruiter (through a colleague) located me via LinkedIn and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. Had an excellent discussion of over an hour about the role, my experience and strategy. Was then brought into the Global HQ for an interview with several stakeholders and peers.

It was a far different experience on site. I was supposed to meet with several people, and had prepared for such. However, half the interview list was replaced with others with no notice, some of which seemed perturbed and inconvenienced that they had to talk to me. The hour long time slot with the hiring manager was less than five minutes, and I got the feeling that someone else was already selected for the role. I left the campus rather bewildered and felt like I wasted two days (one to travel and the other to interview).

After three months of ghosting, a contact let me know that someone had started a few days after I was on site. Apparently, I was booked on a non-refundable flight, and this was a way of justifying the expense.

Product Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for a handful of positions on Dell’s external job site and the next day received an email from a Dell recruiter requesting a 30 minute phone conversation with a hiring manager. (Note: The recruiter’s email demeanor was somewhat chilly but when I got the chance to speak with him later in the process I found his phone personality to be much warmer.)

Two days later (Friday) I spoke with the hiring manager. She was informative and friendly and after learning more about my background, said they’d like to consider me for two different roles on the team. (Bonus!)

The next step was to meet with other members of the team, and I was very impressed by the turnaround. On Monday, the recruiter followed up to check my availability and was able to organize everyone’s schedule for me to come in that Thursday. I had four interviews: two with team members who would be peers, one with the hiring manager and one with the hiring manager’s counterpart (for the other position). The 30-minute interviews were mainly structured around my background and experience (i.e. resume stuff). About half the time I spoke, and the other half, the interviewers answered my questions and shared information. At the end of our meeting which ran a little long, the hiring manager said she’d like me to speak with her boss.

On Monday (again, in a very timely fashion) the recruiter contacted me to set up the interview. Initially they had told me it would be a phone interview but they learned the interviewer instead wanted to meet me in person. They found a 30-min block of time for us on Thursday afternoon.

In parallel, I had been communicating with the hiring manager’s counterpart. That same Monday, I sent him work samples that he had requested, and he responded same-day thanking me and asking if I could speak with one of his remote team members that week. We set up a phone call with him for Thursday morning.

So busy Thursday: phone interview in the morning and in-person interview in the afternoon. I could tell by the end of the phone interview that the interviewer had something else in mind for that particular role, but there was no disappointment on my end because I hadn’t applied for that position to begin with. I did, however, get a little worried when I interviewed with the executive later that day. She mentioned that between the two roles, she was focused on the one that I hadn’t applied for. Inwardly, I hoped that it didn’t imply that I was out of consideration for the role I really wanted.

Overall my interview with the executive went well. Beforehand, I had connected with a mutual LinkedIn acquaintance who sent her a reference. The interview itself was pretty easy. She just asked me to walk her through my resume. We probably could have spoken longer but the conference room was booked and people were waiting to get in.

That was it for the interview process; the ball was in their court. I had completed 7 seven interviews in a little over 2 weeks but then I heard nothing back for another 2 weeks. I even sent the recruiter an email, checking in, but he never responded. I just started to lose hope when I got an email: “I have good news for you! Please give me a call.” Over the phone the recruiter said they were prepared to make me an offer and we discussed anticipated salary range and benefits. He said he would speak with the hiring manager and would likely send me a formal offer by end of day. But Thursday came and went. I emailed the recruiter early Friday asking if he’d be able to send me the offer to review over the weekend and he responded that he would provide an update later in the day. I never got an update. I heard nothing over the weekend or on Monday. Finally Tuesday morning I received the offer. I was a little disappointed in the initial offer; it was on the low end of the salary range we discussed. However, the hiring manager was open to negotiations and I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary plus a signing bonus. I got the final offer on Friday and took the weekend before indicating my formal acceptance. I started 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Half questions that are general HR related. (Ex: How do you handle stress?) The other half are technical questions. (Ex: If I gave you a box full of computer components, what parts do you need to build a functional PC?)

Interview Questions

• If you are at a theme park with a group of friends and no one can decide on what to do, how do you decide what your group should do?   1 Answer
    • If I gave you a box full of computer components, what parts do you need to build a functional PC?   1 Answer
    • What is RAID?   1 Answer

Enterprise Server/Storage Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Since I was a recent graduate, I didn't have much work experience except what I had done in prior internships. So they mainly asked about my projects and coursework from college. Most questions were mainly behavioral with a couple simple design problems.

Interview Questions

• Since you are working in design, not every design you make will work out. How are you going to deal with a situation where your team's design fails and costs the company?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

A positive experience. A phone interview with recruiter, then next day an on-site interview. The phone interview was very personable. During the on-site interview there was a role play which was pretty straight forward. After the interview I received a phone call 30 minutes later from my recruiter offering my the job. Overall, GREAT Experience, andI'm excited to be a part of the Dell Team!

Interview Questions

Dell Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thrilled to hear your experience overall was positive - thanks for sharing your experience and we are ALSO excited to have you be a part of the team!

IT Undergrad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I talked to Dell employees at a career fair. Received an invitation to interview on my college campus the next week. Went to the interview and heard back a week and a half later. Very quick process with only one round of interviewing. This was one of the best interview experiences I've had. The interviewers were very conversational and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were specific to my resume. They just want you to walk through it and expand on it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who interned there last year, and they gave me a single phone interview where they told me about the project they would have me work on, and asked me about my experience in a couple of languages.

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter online on LinkedIn. Recruiter arranged for an interview either via Skype or in person at the Round Rock Campus. After the interview, I was told that I was being selected from a large pool of interviews. I was the first of 20, 5 were to be selected. This took about 5 weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Please walk us through your résumé.   1 Answer