Dell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Was contacted 3-4 weeks after speaking with Dell recruiters at career fair. Went through a phone interview (HR and behavioral, talk about resume) and then a technical onsite interview (talk about past projects, behavioral, and some technical questions). Overall a good experience! Recruiter and interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Will not go into detail, but a mix of behavioral and technical.   1 Answer

Dell Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your experience - we are thrilled to have you join the Dell team!

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX).

Interview

Emails to answer employability status, scheduled in person w 2 guys They wont be sending out offers for another week at end of month. I interviewed beginning of month. Never fun waiting

Interview Questions

• If you were at a theme park w friends, how wd you decide what to do first and what would you want to do? 2) what are the components of a processor and or pc?3) what is RAID? Random array of indp discs 4) tell me about a time your boss underestimated you. Also when someone did not give you credit for a job wlel done 5) tell me about a time you did something above and beyond and were not recognized. How would you have been recognized if so? To close I wrote a mock response email to a client whose case had finally been closed after several weeks.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I had an on-campus interview, and the employers seemed like they wanted to be there. The questions they asked were all behavioral. Received email about a week later with decision.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dell in February 2018.

Interview

I applied through College. I got an email in one week for on-campus interview, which takes 30 minutes. Interviewer helped me to relax with small talk. Some unexpected questions were there. For technical questions, I needed to give logical supporting reasons why I think that way. In one week, I will get a final decision.

Interview Questions

• Questions mostly from the resume and very technical details in certain tools and behavioral questions   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer, Dell EMC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dell (Research Triangle Park, NC) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online. HR rep email reply. Manager phone screen. Onsite interviews for two separate positions on the same day.

The interview was softball. It was my understanding they were coding positions yet I wasn't asked to demonstrate any coding skills other than critique a printout of code known to be defective and in a language they didn't even use. I've been a developer for more than two decades, have participated in numerous interviews on both sides of the table, and that is quite bizarre.

The people were generally nice and there were signs of intelligence but there seemed to be an undercurrent of bad vibes among the staff. Also unusual was I repeatedly asked the interviewers to describe the jobs I was interviewing for and I couldn't get anyone to pin it down with any specificity as if it wasn't a particular concern. I never actually understood the responsibilities of the roles I was interviewing for.

I give the experience a thumbs down because, to top off the strangeness, I never heard from them again. There was zero followup. Five days later I even sent an email to the HR rep who had organized the interview process to simply ask if I was still a candidate for either position. There was no reply to that. Stone cold silence. Really?? That is highly unprofessional and frankly unconscionable treatment even if these were intern or junior positions which they weren't.

I regret getting involved with them now because I had pushed out another interview to make room for this one since I had a greater interest in it, but by the time I concluded that I was never going to hear from Dell again the window of opportunity for the other job had closed.

I'm left with no reason to consider a job with Dell again as I have no desire to associate with an organization that behaves so unprofessionally. The experience has certainly changed my opinion about the company as a whole which was very positive prior to this.

Interview Questions

• Describe something you didn't like about a previous project. Yes, I was actually asked that.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dell (San Diego, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Casual interview. Fast and straight to the point didn’t really discuss much other than that it didn’t really feel an interview. Nothing too out of the ordinary except for a few personal questions.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Franklin, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

Virtual Interview then followed up with an in person interview in Massachusetts. 3 45 minute interviews with managers and 1 mock call . It was about 5-6 weeks after I heard back from the initial virtual interview. Interview started around 8 am and went to 1:30 pm. Overall was a good process.

Senior SCCM Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Dell in January 2018.

Interview

Applied for the job online and was contacted approximately one week later by Dell HR. I had a good conversation with her about the role and my background and she moved it along to the next phase.
    I was contacted a couple days later with an interview date/time and I confirmed. I had the phone interview as this is a remote position and it went well. I was told I was in the running and would be contacted the following week.
    I was contacted by the HR person and was told two days from that communication I’d be informed of a decision and that if I had any questions to feel free to reach out. Well, I reached out after a week, then another week, then another. I emailed, called, and even LinkedIn messaged her. Zero acknowledgement. This has been a horrible experience. Dell and HR and the interviewer were wonderful to deal with in the beginning, then they were extremely rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They really asked nothing other than “what do you want to do?”   Answer Question

MBA Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dell (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2018.

Interview

General behavioral questions and marketing case questions. Usual STAR format stories and marketing framework for cases. It was somewhat conversational.
    I did not get an offer as I was nervous and they were looking for someone that can present in front of executives.

ISG Storage Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dell in January 2018.

Interview

3 different phone calls. Each were about 45 minutes. 2 technical phone calls and the last one was with the HR with a behavioral. She asked about my resume and just basic, what would you do if this happened.

Interview Questions

• What is a struct, what does JRE stand for, JVM, difference between abstract and static, resume questions, etc   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

It has been a long time since I interviewed, however I interviewed over 100 people for Dell in the last few years. Typically there are recruiters on the front end. They will forward resumes to a point person or manager who then reviews them for suitability to task. Typically the manager will then talk with the candidate. In many cases there will be additional technical or job specific interviews from 30 to 60 minutes. These vary by team but for technical interviews be prepared to be asked questions about process, as well as deep technical knowledge. In the consulting field candidates are being judged on knowledge as well as how they will fit within a team or in front of a customer. Everything below is based on averages that I saw, managed or experienced.

Interview Questions

• Questions about process and about technology   1 Answer