Dell Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017
1,844 Interview Reviews

2.9

MBA Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

Very easy and relaxed. Just had a chat about the role and what I like and what I want to do. Spoke about my past experience and my current status. Sweet manager. Very caring and easy going but it was hard to get a proper project to enhance my experience. Very vague directions and no proper guidance/ data to work with.

Strategic Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dell (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

A recruiter (through a colleague) located me via LinkedIn and set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. Had an excellent discussion of over an hour about the role, my experience and strategy. Was then brought into the Global HQ for an interview with several stakeholders and peers.

It was a far different experience on site. I was supposed to meet with several people, and had prepared for such. However, half the interview list was replaced with others with no notice, some of which seemed perturbed and inconvenienced that they had to talk to me. The hour long time slot with the hiring manager was less than five minutes, and I got the feeling that someone else was already selected for the role. I left the campus rather bewildered and felt like I wasted two days (one to travel and the other to interview).

After three months of ghosting, a contact let me know that someone had started a few days after I was on site. Apparently, I was booked on a non-refundable flight, and this was a way of justifying the expense.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell in April 2017.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of technical interviews (over phone). 1 st round - Data structures and 2 nd round is on Java basics. Questions are mostly like Cracking the Coding interview ones. Not too difficult. But never know why they reject even though you answer well.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Dell in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for an interesting role with Boomi. We set a time and they never called. Set a new time and they never called and then no longer replied to email. The lack of professionalism gives me pause on the whole organization as a customer or employee.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dell.

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen by the recruiter, followed by a group interview with three employees with whom I'd interact if accepted into the role. The group interview was followed by a 1:1 interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Company-specific questions related to proprietary systems   Answer Question

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dell in April 2017.

Interview

Recuriter contactd me through campus resume book. First round went well. It was all about my resume. She connected me with hiring manager and scheduled interview after 10 days. Hiring manager asked a lot about my work experience and just one behavioural question. She told me that she will call me to Austin for face-to-face interview. I never heard back from them. I followed up with HR for the status of my personal interview, she never replied.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did something which wasn't your forte.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell (Round Rock, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for a handful of positions on Dell’s external job site and the next day received an email from a Dell recruiter requesting a 30 minute phone conversation with a hiring manager. (Note: The recruiter’s email demeanor was somewhat chilly but when I got the chance to speak with him later in the process I found his phone personality to be much warmer.)

Two days later (Friday) I spoke with the hiring manager. She was informative and friendly and after learning more about my background, said they’d like to consider me for two different roles on the team. (Bonus!)

The next step was to meet with other members of the team, and I was very impressed by the turnaround. On Monday, the recruiter followed up to check my availability and was able to organize everyone’s schedule for me to come in that Thursday. I had four interviews: two with team members who would be peers, one with the hiring manager and one with the hiring manager’s counterpart (for the other position). The 30-minute interviews were mainly structured around my background and experience (i.e. resume stuff). About half the time I spoke, and the other half, the interviewers answered my questions and shared information. At the end of our meeting which ran a little long, the hiring manager said she’d like me to speak with her boss.

On Monday (again, in a very timely fashion) the recruiter contacted me to set up the interview. Initially they had told me it would be a phone interview but they learned the interviewer instead wanted to meet me in person. They found a 30-min block of time for us on Thursday afternoon.

In parallel, I had been communicating with the hiring manager’s counterpart. That same Monday, I sent him work samples that he had requested, and he responded same-day thanking me and asking if I could speak with one of his remote team members that week. We set up a phone call with him for Thursday morning.

So busy Thursday: phone interview in the morning and in-person interview in the afternoon. I could tell by the end of the phone interview that the interviewer had something else in mind for that particular role, but there was no disappointment on my end because I hadn’t applied for that position to begin with. I did, however, get a little worried when I interviewed with the executive later that day. She mentioned that between the two roles, she was focused on the one that I hadn’t applied for. Inwardly, I hoped that it didn’t imply that I was out of consideration for the role I really wanted.

Overall my interview with the executive went well. Beforehand, I had connected with a mutual LinkedIn acquaintance who sent her a reference. The interview itself was pretty easy. She just asked me to walk her through my resume. We probably could have spoken longer but the conference room was booked and people were waiting to get in.

That was it for the interview process; the ball was in their court. I had completed 7 seven interviews in a little over 2 weeks but then I heard nothing back for another 2 weeks. I even sent the recruiter an email, checking in, but he never responded. I just started to lose hope when I got an email: “I have good news for you! Please give me a call.” Over the phone the recruiter said they were prepared to make me an offer and we discussed anticipated salary range and benefits. He said he would speak with the hiring manager and would likely send me a formal offer by end of day. But Thursday came and went. I emailed the recruiter early Friday asking if he’d be able to send me the offer to review over the weekend and he responded that he would provide an update later in the day. I never got an update. I heard nothing over the weekend or on Monday. Finally Tuesday morning I received the offer. I was a little disappointed in the initial offer; it was on the low end of the salary range we discussed. However, the hiring manager was open to negotiations and I was able to negotiate a slightly higher salary plus a signing bonus. I got the final offer on Friday and took the weekend before indicating my formal acceptance. I started 3 weeks later.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell in April 2017.

Interview

There were two phone interviews and both interviewers were very nice. Each call lasted about 20-30 minutes. They asked mostly behavioral questions, as well as about past experiences in the industry.

Senior Pricing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell in April 2017.

Interview

It took two weeks to complete the whole process. HR called and confirmed the date to the phone interview, then the manager of the department led the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• The most recent difficulty you faced, and how you solved.   Answer Question

Principal Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dell (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a sort of long drawn out process but it was fulfilling. They were prepared with very good questions and they were able to answer my questions seamlessly. The interview process allowed me to have more detailed questions next time.