Deloitte Consulting Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.3

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews – (1) Phone screen with HR, mainly to make sure you understand the job description, have reasonable expectations for compensation and level, are comfortable with 80% travel, and seem competent. (2) Technical screen with a consulting practitioner, by phone, behavioral type questions (I.e., “tell me about a time you led a team.”) mixed with a resume walkthrough. (3) In-person interview day that consisted of three 45-minute interviews with consulting practitioners. One interview was a case, and the others were resume walkthrough/behavioral interviews similar to the second round.

I interviewed for their human capital practice and my cases were human capital related. The first was reviewing a slide deck written by a team member and providing constructive feedback on how to improve it. The second was solutioning for a client where the key stakeholders disagreed about major changes to the org structure. For the case, he shared the handout with me and allocated about ten minutes for me to prepare. I took notes/drawings which, not only jogged my memory when I was stating my solution and rationale, but also kept me organized and ensured I didn’t miss anything. I made sure the interviewer could see the paper too.

To prepare, I did three things. First, I reviewed my resume and took notes on each of my accomplishments/challenges from prior projects – the project where I led a sizeable team, the project where I worked with c-suite executives, the project where I sold substantial additional work, etc. so that I had good examples for behavioral questions. I prepared my two minute “elevator speech” for when an interviewer asks, “tell me about yourself.”

Second, I researched Deloitte extensively and wrote out educated questions (i.e., “I understand you send your new hires to Deloitte University. I am very excited about that! Do people attend annually? What is the process to get continuing education?”) This question instantly communicates to the interviewer that (a) I know a little about Deloitte, such as DU, (b) I am enthusiastic and curious, and (c) I have a question that can kickstart a conversation. I asked the same questions to each interviewer to see if the answers varied. I also aimed to ask personal/opinion questions, like why the interviewer came to Deloitte, chose the alignment they did, etc. or what they were currently working on.

Third, because I was given the interviewers’ names in advance, I could check them out on linkedin. Interestingly, I had commonality with almost all of them – same university, same major, experienced hire situation, grew up near my hometown, etc. This one is a bit controversial because of course you don’t want to cyberstalk somebody, but I did find it helpful in being able to establish some personal repoire; if nothing else, it made me less nervous going into the session, as I could put a face with a name.

Tips:
Bring pencil/paper for the case interview.
Bring paper copies of your resume.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with someone you didn’t like.
    What is your best advice for junior team members?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Consulting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

Takes a while as an experienced hire. Initial call, 2nd round phone interview, 2 in person interviews, subsequent offer. In person interviews are typically done at the peer and partner level. The best way to plan for the interview is to reach out to contacts you have within the firm and try to grease the wheel before you arrive for the on-site interview. Also, NEGOTIATE your salary. Be sure you know what the competition is paying and push your belief about your "culture" fit for the firm. Remember they are the best of the best for a reason and you must be willing to contribute both during and after work hours to show you are a fit for the culture. Engage with leadership as must as possible before the interview to increase your line of sight!

Interview Questions

• How would you advise a client that is looking to add a change management capability due to a re-org?

What value add do you bring to Deloitte?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is the only negotiable stand. Consulting Managers should earn more than 135K.

Consulting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

Phone screening with HR.
    Phone interview with a senior manager.
    In-office interviews with Partners.
    I was conveyed the decision in a couple of weeks time. Unfortunately, there wasn't much scope for salary negotiation.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my background, my work experience and kind of client work I had done in the past. The interviews were in a friendly environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Very well coordinated interview process. They were 10 steps ahead of you in the process which was helpful. interview process was tedious. the interviewers were not friendly and exhibited a huge chip on their shoulders, perhaps because I was coming from competing Big 4. Although HR or recruitment group coordinated the interview setup well, the recruiters were late and cancelled scheduled interviews. When interviewing, they were very opinionated and was unfair in the interview questions.
    The recruiters were good at their jobs but unfairly discouraged to accept a lower position than what I had applied for. There is no point leaving a big 4 as a manager and join another as a senior. They will say you will be promoted to manager in 1 year, but everyone I have spoken to with the same experience says otherwise and doesn't recommend. Do not trust the recruiters. The Case study was badly handled, the foreign interviewer was trying to put on a very strong American accent that he couldn't even properly explain the questions and refused to provide the written case to me to review myself. when I asked a follow up question he would ridicule me. Not a good practice. The interviewers need to be trained correctly.

Interview Questions

• case study, behavioral questions, SDLC and Project management methodologies   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process overall went very well. I got screened and then was invited to come to NYC for "interview day." The feedback from the interview day was positive, having done well on the situational and consulting segments. However, I was told that I "aced" the first two parts, but during the Partner interview he "wasn't convinced" and I would have to go thru several additional steps if I was willing to consider another division. I agreed, and after two more phone interviews I was told they would get back to me, but they never did. I followed up late last year and was told "we're shut down until after January 2, 2015." I followed up several times since and can't get a return call from the internal Deloitte recruiter. I don't know what the problem is, but if I am unacceptable, I believe they should just tell me and not give me the "run around". Disappointing at best.

Interview Questions

• The three part interview day was as expected, technical, case study, and then Partner interview. The Partner asked me several times why I was looking to leave my current consulting job (at another firm) after four years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Multiple rounds
    A - 3X phone screens across HR/Recruiting of 30-60 minute interviews. These entailed work background review; functional areas of competence, methodologies employed and relative skill levels, types of deliverables, size/scope of teams managed. Pretty involved and detailed for recruiting.

B - 2X phone interviews of 60 minutes each with senior managers in my areas of consulting. Questions on work background, team management and leadership style, hypotheticals on how I would handle different scenarios - from delivery risk issue management, client/stakeholder management, to how I would undertake, scope, plan and lead specific types of work. Lots of analytical and behavioral analysis.

C - Final round, on premises (flew to NYC) interviews with 3 partners, including 1 business case. 60 minutes each. Lead partner within the practice I was interviewing for focused on my perceptions of the industry, opportunities for growth and how these aligned with what I do and don't want to do.

Interview Questions

• Business case/case study question: Given a company that is in the prepared food business which receives raw product from growers into central processing sites then prepares them for sale by retailers and consumer use, how would you assess how to determine the root causes of their profitability issues. An accompany financial sheet was provided.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

This was for an experienced hire position.
    First was interview with HR recruiter
    Followed by Technical Phone Interview
    Then three in-person interviews:
    the first in person interview was with a senior manager - technical
    the second in-person interview was with another senior manager - general consulting background
    the third in-person interview was with a senior manager - case study
    then phone call with recruiter

Interview Questions

• The partner said that "you don't seem to have any consulting experience ?", when all I had was consulting experience :-) of about 15 years   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation, i accepted the offer as is without negotiation

Consultant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Dallas, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process began with a telephone interview with Talent Acquisition and was followed with a series of telephone interviews with a partner and a Sr. Manager. The interviews were fairly easy - however the interviewers were very focused on specifically the types of initiatives I had worked on in previous jobs and what my role as a Manager was. My ability to clearly articulate that with certainty I believe is what landed me an opportunity to go to the next round of interviews.

Finally, I was invited to attend a face-to-face interview with 2 Partners and a Sr. Manager (who read a case study and I had to respond to 3 questions - they were easy). Although I had to give an overview of my experience, I think the interviews were designed to really determine if I was a "fit" in the overall organization and specific practice/role of which I was interviewing for.

Overall the process lasted approx. 12 weeks due to it beginning just before the Thanksgiving Holiday and interviews occurring clear through the Christmas and New Years holidays.

Interview Questions

• - If you could create a client engagement to work on, what would it look like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was very straight-forward (no BS - it was based on a simple formula derived from your most current previous employer salary).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Multiple interviews with Director and Staff

Work life balance and they wanted me to dissolve all financial holdings with loss to me personally

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Easy. starts with a ph screen followed by an in person. in person consists of meeting 3 people, usually a manager, sr manager and a partner. each interview is 30 mins.