Deloitte Writer - Internal and Proposals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Writer - Internal and Proposals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

I enjoyed my conversations with everyone at Deloitte! They took me through quite a lengthy interview process, beginning with the initial conversation with a recruiter in the third week of January and ending with live interviews the third week of February. The entire process, commencing late one night with a correspondence between me and the recruiter reviewing my application, lasted 35 days. For an initial phone interview, the recruiter asked me to comprehensively detail my experience with proposal writing, the culture and size dynamics of the groups with which I worked at my previous firm, and the feelings and experiences that drew me to apply to Deloitte. She and I then worked together via E-mail to organize additional phone interviews with a Tax Manager and a Proposal Lead for the coming weeks. The Tax Manager pursued the interview as a natural conversation, while the Proposal Lead asked friendly but pointed questions ("Just going into a little more depth with your proposals experience - Would you copy and paste templates, or would you write original language for cover letters and executive summaries?"). I was also asked by the recruiter to provide a narrative account of my work experiences over the last seven years with any blanks justified and to complete a second application. Another week passed before I was invited into the office for live interviews with three women, all occupying very different roles, on a concrete, inflexible date when I also happened to have other interviews with a competitor firm. The first two interviews lasted just over thirty minutes each, and were a healthy mix of natural conversation ("My husband and I completely eschew social media") and addressing some questions about my experience and long-term goals. The final interview was a 2.5 hour conversation addressing everything that's ever been under the moon and then some. All of the conversations were great.

Eight days later, I received the standard rejection via E-mail: "While your background and experience are good, we have identified other candidates whose experience more closely match our needs at this time."

Interview Questions

• "What interests you about this role?" It was a difficult question because each interviewing party had very different ideas about what the role would entail. I was informed during the live interviews that I would receive a different explanation of the role from everyone because it was "not really defined," and is rather "what the person in it makes of it." At times, I worried that I might be offering an answer that would jibe with one party's sense of the ideal candidate's traits but sharply conflict with another's, simply because there wasn't an expressed consensus among the interviewers of what the role would entail and, therefore, what skills were best suited to it.   Answer Question