Deloitte Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1,983 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews – (1) Phone screen with HR, mainly to make sure you understand the job description, have reasonable expectations for compensation and level, are comfortable with 80% travel, and seem competent. (2) Technical screen with a consulting practitioner, by phone, behavioral type questions (I.e., “tell me about a time you led a team.”) mixed with a resume walkthrough. (3) In-person interview day that consisted of three 45-minute interviews with consulting practitioners. One interview was a case, and the others were resume walkthrough/behavioral interviews similar to the second round.

I interviewed for their human capital practice and my cases were human capital related. The first was reviewing a slide deck written by a team member and providing constructive feedback on how to improve it. The second was solutioning for a client where the key stakeholders disagreed about major changes to the org structure. For the case, he shared the handout with me and allocated about ten minutes for me to prepare. I took notes/drawings which, not only jogged my memory when I was stating my solution and rationale, but also kept me organized and ensured I didn’t miss anything. I made sure the interviewer could see the paper too.

To prepare, I did three things. First, I reviewed my resume and took notes on each of my accomplishments/challenges from prior projects – the project where I led a sizeable team, the project where I worked with c-suite executives, the project where I sold substantial additional work, etc. so that I had good examples for behavioral questions. I prepared my two minute “elevator speech” for when an interviewer asks, “tell me about yourself.”

Second, I researched Deloitte extensively and wrote out educated questions (i.e., “I understand you send your new hires to Deloitte University. I am very excited about that! Do people attend annually? What is the process to get continuing education?”) This question instantly communicates to the interviewer that (a) I know a little about Deloitte, such as DU, (b) I am enthusiastic and curious, and (c) I have a question that can kickstart a conversation. I asked the same questions to each interviewer to see if the answers varied. I also aimed to ask personal/opinion questions, like why the interviewer came to Deloitte, chose the alignment they did, etc. or what they were currently working on.

Third, because I was given the interviewers’ names in advance, I could check them out on linkedin. Interestingly, I had commonality with almost all of them – same university, same major, experienced hire situation, grew up near my hometown, etc. This one is a bit controversial because of course you don’t want to cyberstalk somebody, but I did find it helpful in being able to establish some personal repoire; if nothing else, it made me less nervous going into the session, as I could put a face with a name.

Tips:
    Bring pencil/paper for the case interview.
    Bring paper copies of your resume.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with someone you didn’t like.
      What is your best advice for junior team members?
      Answer Question

Consultant - Strategy & Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview was fine. Three different face to face with the current staff. Just make sure to prepare for the case study well in advance. Everyone was friendly and not intimidating. The questions they ask range on the position you are applying for. If I could have done it again I would have prepared a bit more for the case study. It wasn't easy, and they are looking for you to ask the right questions and give the right answers. They are looking to literally check all the boxes to make sure you have the correct mind set to perform in that position.

Senior Consultant, Federal Risk Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Deloitte in November 2016.

Interview

Edit:
    The next day, I had an interview with another recruiter for Deloitte, also within Cyber Risk. This interview was a complete 180.

This recruiter was as kind as could be, was very enthusiastic, and a pleasure to speak to. He asked all the same questions, but wow, way better this time. I booked an interview on the spot over the phone call. (Needless to say, I never heard back from the recruiter below...)

I cannot say enough good things about this recruiter and phone call.

------
    I just had a phone interview with a recruiter, and my first thought after hanging up was "wow, I'm definitely leaving a review on glassdoor about this."

The recruiter was not friendly, her tone was condescending and unprofessional. I had asked her where she had found my contact information (since I had been referred to a position, but also emailed out my resume to recruiters individually), and her response was "someway or another it got to my desk." Uhh okay.

She asked all the standard questions:
    Why are you looking to leave
    Tell me about your current job and past jobs
    Location preferences

And then it got to the salary part.
    She asked for my current salary. I told her.
    Then she asked for my expectations for my next position, and I gave her a number that was 15% above my current salary, and I explained that for my years of experience and the role I was looking into - that is a fair amount. And it is, I was lowballed for my current position and I didn't realize it.

She wasn't convinced. She replied back with, "I don't know if we can justify a 15% increase to your current pay." Way to admit that Deloitte practices sketchy compensation practices: Paying based on your previous salary, rather than matching fair market value. Excellent.

She said she'd get back to me on whether that salary was in budget. I had to ask her what the role was, she didn't even start with that before the interrogation. She was ready to end the call having told me nothing but location information. I'm wasn't even interested in the role she was talking about.

That phone call left a terrible taste in my mouth for Deloitte. Yeah right Deloitte only hires the best.

Advice to management - hire actually friendly recruiters. More often than not, you need us more than we need you. There's no shortage of consultancy firms in the DC area.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Started off with a recruiter reaching out, then a phone interview a week later. Then flown out to Boston for on site which consisted of a Q&A, a panel, a tour, and two behavioral interviews with a manager and a partner. Heard back about a week later about an offer.

Interview Questions

• What sort of experience do you have with data?   1 Answer

Tax Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed through campus and the whole process was one month.
    First round interview was on-campus. Two back-to-back interviews. The interviewer are managers and they were friendly. One is behavior and the other is technical. Behavior one is pretty simple and conversational, just normal questions like why our firm, why tax and goes through the resume. Technical one tests your understanding of the job position and gives out a quick case. You only need to prepare some background knowledge, basic concepts about you are about to do. They did NOT expect you to know everything and the correct answers. Ask questions and interviewer is happy to help. Also test Math with simple algebra and geometry (middle school level, take it easy)
    A week later, got a phone invitation to the on-site interview, which was a little intense, but very organized. First took some tests in writing and Math. Math is difficult to me, but everyone thought the same. Writing tested your basic knowledge and was easy. Then a sale pitch and an interview with partners. People there were very nice and helpful. After lunch, we had a case study in group. We got a 10-page case study and discussed it in groups. Made slides and presented to the staff. They raised sharp questions but it was part of the test. Try best to think and speak aloud, no need to worry. Got a happy hour afterwards and talked to everyone. Very valuable and unique experience!

Interview Questions

• Why us? Why tax? Hobbies? Your weakness? Difficult time in teamwork? Plan in 5-year?   Answer Question

Advisory Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university and was emailed to schedule two 30 minute phone interviews with two managers. A couple of days after the phone interview, I received a call informing me that I was invited to an on-site interview in Boston. Interview at Boston consisted again of two 30 minute behavioral interviews. Most questions were easy and expected but unfortunately, did not result in an offer. I was a little disappointed with how the interviews were entirely behavioral in nature. Behavioral interviews are biased and may not be the most effective strategy but it is what it is. For what it's worth, the entire process was very organized and the recruiters were always prompt and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Why consulting?, Tell me about a time when you worked in a group, Tell me about a time when you were involved in knowledge transfer, Tell me about your favorite professional experience so far   1 Answer

Life Science Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Very quick turnaround. 1 week from application deadline to follow up video questionnaire. 1 week from then to 1st round. Notified of second round after 1 week. Notified of offer 2 weeks after second round.

Interview Questions

• Describe leadership role and details of group management.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you worked with someone difficult.   Answer Question
    • Describe your ideal job.   Answer Question
    • Case interview stressed digitization, evaluation by metrics, and identifying key players.   Answer Question
    • What kind of project would you have a difficult time working on?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was non-negotiable.

Technology Risk Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

About 2 weeks after applying a recruiter did a phone screening. The first interview consisted of behavioral questions and took about 15 minutes. The second interview took place in New York City and again the questions were mainly behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had difficulty dealing with someone within a group?   Answer Question

Tax Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

On site interview at Deloitte's NYC office. Two rounds of 1:1 interviews with one director and one partner. A reception lunch after interviews. People are friendly. The interview with the partner was very casual. Basually he wanted to see your personality and why I want to work as a tax consultant at Deloitte.

Business Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY).

Interview

Started with talking to recruiter at the career fair and attending various info sessions and dinner organized on campus. After two weeks I got a call for an on campus interview. Two back to back behavioral and case question.

Interview Questions

• Case question on developing and implementing a new product. Challenges and risk associated. (I got something related to developing an Aircraft)   Answer Question