Deloitte Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Deloitte Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2017

3.4

Management Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

It was really quick and professional I applied directly on their website and got a call from hr, had a phone screen with Human Resources then a phone interview with a specialist of the industry and a week later they invited me to the face to face interview with 3 different people. They were very transparent and honest during the process and I'm very impressed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

This company's HR is a mess. I initially applied via on-campus recruiting at my university. They granted me an interview, only they never bothered to tell me about it. I only found out about the interview after they emailed me to say that an alternate had taken my place. I followed up with HR, who recognized a "technical error" and said they would schedule a phone interview "by the end of the day". A whole week later I hadn't heard back from them, so I followed up. Finally, they scheduled the interview.

The interview went well, and they wanted me back for a final round on-site in Boston... only once again, they didn't bother to inform me. When I contacted HR after a couple weeks of not hearing back, I was told, "Oh, we left you a message on your phone. We want you to come back for round two." I checked all of my voicemails and missed calls--they certainly had not left me a message. At any rate I thanked them and they said they would be in touch with scheduling by "tomorrow evening." "Tomorrow evening" became a week, at which point I contacted them again and they told me that my interview was scheduled for the next morning in Boston. So I quickly found a rental car and a hotel in Boston and at expense of time and money to myself made it to the headquarters.

This part of the process was also a mess. The interview was supposed to be with two partners, an hour long, but we started 25 minutes late and one of the partners couldn't join us. Because we started late, there was no time for me to ask questions at the end of the case interview. Afterward, I met my liaison in HR who told me that she would be in touch with a final decision by "early next week" regardless of the outcome. I never heard back. Based on my previous experience with them, this probably means that I got an offer and they simply forgot to tell me, but I decided I had ZERO interest in working within a company this disorganized and chose not to follow up.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time you had to give bad news in a professional setting?   1 Answer

Company was obviously disorganized. With recent acquisition of Monitor Group I'm certain that disorganization could only go downhill from here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deloitte (Ithaca, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

1st round - 1 hour, 30min behavioral, 30min case/calculation
    2nd round:
    1 hour individual case, half hour behavioral, 1.5 hour group case

I progressed steadily into round 2. Group interview was good; four of us each with individual roles, ie finance, competitive landscape, products/services, expansion opportunities, etc. The group just needs to work together and piece info together; no

My individual case and final behavioral portions were led by unfriendly interviewers who didn't try much to hide the fact that they came in with their decisions already made. I guess they had their favorites from looking at resumes and that was that. Not sure what to describe but I'd be happy to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• 3000 potential startups to invest in, how do you start to cull the field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

My first interview with Deloitte was an initial phone interview with HR about why I was interested in Deloitte, consulting, etc. The second round of interviews was 2 1:1 45-minute phone interviews. The first 45 minute interview was an over the phone case study. Not too bad nothing unexpected came up. The second 45 minute interview was a behavioral interview (always stress the benefits of diversity in the workplace, show that you can handle potential issues that commonly arise in the work-place, talk about how you work well with people, and be able to give EXAMPLES for ALL of these types of questions. Last interview was with a partner and director at the firm. Overall good experience up until that point, but after trying to contact HR as to why I didn't make the cut, I couldn't get a hold of them. Go figure.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had a dispute/disagreement with someone you worked with. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

There is a standard phone screening phase that evaluates at a high level your skills specific to the position you are being considered. This is done by a Deloitte recruiter. If you pass, you become eligible for the interview process after you complete a series of paper work. Much information will be asked of you especially if you are targeted to work on one of their government contracts. The most important info that is asked is your current salary. Be careful on how you answer this because it will be verified thru Lexis Nexis. If you misrepresent yourself, you wll not continue to the interview phase. Take note, however, that your offer from Deloitte will hinge on your current salary provided. Your offer will be around 10% more. It will be difficult to negotiate more.

Once you pass the background check, a schedule of your interview date will be given. All interviewers for the day will get a brief intro to the firm. Then you proceed to a series of 1:1 interviews, each focusing on different aspects. This can go in any order since the interviewers rotate thru the candidates. One interviewer will focus on your technical skills to the job or field you are being evaluated for. Another will give situational, case-study like questions. This interviewer will give a situation and after you provide a solution, will throw a monkey wrench by changing one of the parameters and will see how you react/ cope to the change. Third interviewer would be the most senior of the 3 and will evaluate if you "fit" the firm. You will be asked seemingly innocuous questions like 'what do you like to do?', 'what motivates you?', and the sort. Take care in your answers, don't give cookie cutter answers like Ms. Universe contestants give. Be sincere but don't oversell. Remember it's a very senior person doing this part of the interview, so they'll see thru the insincere responses.

The 3 interviewers will ask if you have any questions and encourage you to do so. However, any questions about salary willbe deflected since none of the 3 interviewers have a say. The person that you will need to speak to is the actual phone recruiter. I think the recruiter also has little decision power since I'm sure they follow a set formula (like +10% From current salary max). So depending on position and current salary, you will hit a ceiling.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this work? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your career?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate since there is a formula being used which the recruiter cannot deviate from. So depending on position considered for and current salary, a given max salary can be offered. I think that ~85k is max for a mgmt consultant.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

First round, a behavioral and case interview back by back, with a manager each session and each lasting about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
    Second round, an interview with a senior manager lasting about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
    Third round, an interview with the partner in charge of the team I am applying to, about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Did you have any experience in leading a team/participating group work in your previous job?   Answer Question
    • Think about one thing that you failed in the past.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Madrid (Spain)) in February 2016.

Interview

focus group, ten candidates in one room with 1 hour activity to solve a problem/challenge. We were asked to provide basic information and to perform both in spanish and english.

Interview Questions

• 1hour with 10 other candidates trying to solve a challenge, in our case how would you structure your workday based on actvities, time and priorities.   1 Answer

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deloitte (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

This was for pre grad scheme so probably less intensive but still involved multiple stages. Assessment centre with interview and then the final interview. You should have a general understand of the role you want and probably some more technical knowledge if you want to show your determination.

assessment centre can become quite stressful as you want to compete yet at the same time show you can work within a team and promote others, so just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Examples of competencies such as teamwork, leadership, hunger for success etc   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte (Seoul (South Korea)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview for this internship in Korea was relatively short and concise. One 45 minute interview, and one hour case interview--the interviewers were super nice and friendly. It wasn't unnecessarily difficult, but it was definitely worth prepping for with case books.

Management Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Deloitte (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Interviewed by senior manager. Basically, it went more like a conversation. The senior manager wanted to find out more about what was written in my resume and what my skills are. Looking for fit in the company as well I would say. He did not ask any technical questions. It was a chance for me to get to know more about what kind of projects the senior manager handled as well.