Deloitte Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Deloitte Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

3.4

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

First round is a phone interview asking mainly about experience, as well as understanding of the position. They want to see how one's experience will fit into the role. Questions include how you made those decisions, why you want this role, what are your roles in the past experience, how you worked in a team.

Interview Questions

• Asked about an industry that I only had a short experience but which they were very interested in.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Management Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte.

Interview

It was really quick and professional I applied directly on their website and got a call from hr, had a phone screen with Human Resources then a phone interview with a specialist of the industry and a week later they invited me to the face to face interview with 3 different people. They were very transparent and honest during the process and I'm very impressed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very straight forward

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deloitte in May 2008.

Interview

1st round consisted of 2 interviews, both with a "mini case" and a behavioral element. The interviews were 1 on 1 and were quite standard case interviews and standard behavioral questions. The 2nd round consisted of a 2:1 interview which lasted an hour. The case had a strong accounting and finance element to it.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

There is a standard phone screening phase that evaluates at a high level your skills specific to the position you are being considered. This is done by a Deloitte recruiter. If you pass, you become eligible for the interview process after you complete a series of paper work. Much information will be asked of you especially if you are targeted to work on one of their government contracts. The most important info that is asked is your current salary. Be careful on how you answer this because it will be verified thru Lexis Nexis. If you misrepresent yourself, you wll not continue to the interview phase. Take note, however, that your offer from Deloitte will hinge on your current salary provided. Your offer will be around 10% more. It will be difficult to negotiate more.

Once you pass the background check, a schedule of your interview date will be given. All interviewers for the day will get a brief intro to the firm. Then you proceed to a series of 1:1 interviews, each focusing on different aspects. This can go in any order since the interviewers rotate thru the candidates. One interviewer will focus on your technical skills to the job or field you are being evaluated for. Another will give situational, case-study like questions. This interviewer will give a situation and after you provide a solution, will throw a monkey wrench by changing one of the parameters and will see how you react/ cope to the change. Third interviewer would be the most senior of the 3 and will evaluate if you "fit" the firm. You will be asked seemingly innocuous questions like 'what do you like to do?', 'what motivates you?', and the sort. Take care in your answers, don't give cookie cutter answers like Ms. Universe contestants give. Be sincere but don't oversell. Remember it's a very senior person doing this part of the interview, so they'll see thru the insincere responses.

The 3 interviewers will ask if you have any questions and encourage you to do so. However, any questions about salary willbe deflected since none of the 3 interviewers have a say. The person that you will need to speak to is the actual phone recruiter. I think the recruiter also has little decision power since I'm sure they follow a set formula (like +10% From current salary max). So depending on position and current salary, you will hit a ceiling.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this work? Is this what you want to do for the rest of your career?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hard to negotiate since there is a formula being used which the recruiter cannot deviate from. So depending on position considered for and current salary, a given max salary can be offered. I think that ~85k is max for a mgmt consultant.

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte in January 2008.

Interview

Deloitte was, by far, the worst interview experience I've ever had. I've had plenty of rejections in school, having been one of the youngest candidates in the field, but this was the only interview that truly offended me (I often kept in touch with other companies who rejected me, and got interviews with them again, down the road - so I'm not one to take offense at rejection).

The interviewer began by accusing me of being a legacy to my graduate school. I had no parents, siblings, or other remotely close relatives who had ever attended my university, making the statement baseless and false, in addition to offensive

The remainder of the interview involved the interviewer asking questions about why I'm a terrible candidate. Any attempt to spin the question on a positive, or remotely professional note, and the interviewer would immediately interrupt me to throw in another insulting "questions."

This was a colossal waste of my time. I would never interview with them again, now would I interact with this company on any professional terms.

Interview Questions

• How can I put someone like you in front of our clients?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Deloitte (Ithaca, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

1st round - 1 hour, 30min behavioral, 30min case/calculation
    2nd round:
    1 hour individual case, half hour behavioral, 1.5 hour group case

I progressed steadily into round 2. Group interview was good; four of us each with individual roles, ie finance, competitive landscape, products/services, expansion opportunities, etc. The group just needs to work together and piece info together; no

My individual case and final behavioral portions were led by unfriendly interviewers who didn't try much to hide the fact that they came in with their decisions already made. I guess they had their favorites from looking at resumes and that was that. Not sure what to describe but I'd be happy to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• 3000 potential startups to invest in, how do you start to cull the field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

This company's HR is a mess. I initially applied via on-campus recruiting at my university. They granted me an interview, only they never bothered to tell me about it. I only found out about the interview after they emailed me to say that an alternate had taken my place. I followed up with HR, who recognized a "technical error" and said they would schedule a phone interview "by the end of the day". A whole week later I hadn't heard back from them, so I followed up. Finally, they scheduled the interview.

The interview went well, and they wanted me back for a final round on-site in Boston... only once again, they didn't bother to inform me. When I contacted HR after a couple weeks of not hearing back, I was told, "Oh, we left you a message on your phone. We want you to come back for round two." I checked all of my voicemails and missed calls--they certainly had not left me a message. At any rate I thanked them and they said they would be in touch with scheduling by "tomorrow evening." "Tomorrow evening" became a week, at which point I contacted them again and they told me that my interview was scheduled for the next morning in Boston. So I quickly found a rental car and a hotel in Boston and at expense of time and money to myself made it to the headquarters.

This part of the process was also a mess. The interview was supposed to be with two partners, an hour long, but we started 25 minutes late and one of the partners couldn't join us. Because we started late, there was no time for me to ask questions at the end of the case interview. Afterward, I met my liaison in HR who told me that she would be in touch with a final decision by "early next week" regardless of the outcome. I never heard back. Based on my previous experience with them, this probably means that I got an offer and they simply forgot to tell me, but I decided I had ZERO interest in working within a company this disorganized and chose not to follow up.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time you had to give bad news in a professional setting?   1 Answer

Company was obviously disorganized. With recent acquisition of Monitor Group I'm certain that disorganization could only go downhill from here.

Management Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Deloitte (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Interviewed by senior manager. Basically, it went more like a conversation. The senior manager wanted to find out more about what was written in my resume and what my skills are. Looking for fit in the company as well I would say. He did not ask any technical questions. It was a chance for me to get to know more about what kind of projects the senior manager handled as well.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Deloitte (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Well structured and organised with an impressive calibre of candidates and employees. All were very friendly and approachable. Following the online tests, the next round was an assessment morning that included a group exercise and a 1:1 interview with an unprepared business scenario, then if successful there was a final round that consisted of a partner interview in which you delivered a presentation on a pre-prepared topic.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in July 2015.

Interview

Der Bewerbungsprozess für die Operations Practice bei Deloitte Consulting ist sehr zügig und transparent. Nach der Online Bewerbung habe ich einen Termin zum Telefoninterview angeboten bekommen. Eine Woche später dann einen Termin für ein persönliches Vorstellungsgesrpäch. Das Telefoninterview mit einem Sr. consultant dauert zwischen 1-2 Stunden und zielt auf den Lebenslauf und Projekte ab, die man vorweisen kann. Interviewtag besteht ebenfalls aus zwei Einzelgesprächen und einer Fallstudie mit Präsentation.

Interview Questions

• Mehrere Einzel-Vorstellungsgespräche an einem Tag mit Senior Consultants, Manager und Partner. Fragen generell zum Lebenslauf und wieso Beratung, speziell wieso Deloitte. Kleine Brainteaser und Rechenaufgaben wurden gestellt, generell machbar und beziehen sich meistens auf Market Sizing Fälle (z.b. wie viele Flugzeuge hat die Lufthansa, etc.) außerdem wird erwartet, dass man eine Fallstudie bearbeitet (eine Stunde) und diese dann vor einem Team von ca 7 Deloitte Mitareitern vorstellt.

Atmosphäre sehr angenehm und auch freundlich.
      Answer Question