Deloitte Senior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Deloitte Senior Associate Interview Questions

2.9

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

I was submitted for consideration by a former co-worker who is now at Deloitte. It took quite a while before I heard from them, but eventually I was contacted by one of their internal recruiters. She was a pleasure to work with, as were all the Deloitte folks. Professional, thorough, and very nice. I had a ~45 minute phone interview with her, then she arranged for another phone interview with a senior manager in another office. Then there was another phone interview with a different HR person. After that, it took another while but I was eventually told that they wanted to schedule me for a 2.5 hour in person interview. This is interviewing with 5 people, 30 minutes per meeting. Due to weather considerations and travel schedules, this took a month or so to arrange, but finally took place. Again, everyone I dealt with was professional, friendly and welcoming. I was impressed with the caliber of the team. I did get a bit of a bum's rush out the door with the last person on my schedule, but he was transferring to another division shortly and was no longer invested with this department.

I wasn't sure how long it would take to get feedback, but I received a call the next day from my original internal recruiter who said they wanted to make me an offer. We had some discussion around the salary offer - they wanted to offer me the same salary I make currently and I asked for more. She said this was possible, but would take some time. She wasn't kidding. It took so long - over 2 weeks - that I had time to reconsider the offer and decide to decline. I felt that if they were really enthusiastic about hiring me, it wouldn't have taken so long to come back with the written offer. I called the internal recruiter and told her my decision. She was very nice about it, but disappointed. She did leave the door open in case I decide to make another try for a position there, which was a very nice way to end our discussion. And who knows? I might just do that.

Interview Questions

• They asked about the technical tools I've used in the past.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Deloitte

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Deloitte (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

DISCLAIMER: I know majority of you have had a positive experience with Deloitte, but this is just my experience. So here goes,

A little background about me: I am an Engineer with a little over 5 years of Tech consulting experience and 2.5 years of Engineering Sales experience. It is June 26, 2015 and I was sitting at Bangkok International trying to catch my flight back to NY and had some wifi access at the lounge. Decided to catch up on e-mails and social media updates (just like the rest of you). A link popped up on my LinkedIn recommended jobs about a position with Deloitte that IMHO I'd be the ideal candidate for (aren't we all?). So as soon as I land in NY, I contact a friend who has been employed with Deloitte to see if she could refer me for this position. The nice person that she is, she sent me a link through their internal career portal to apply for this position. I did, it took almost 3-4 weeks to even get a call from the recruiter. She was very pleasant, very professional and asked me a ton of behavioral questions and questions on managing conflicts. She said, she thought I would be a good fit for the role and that she was going to see if the hiring manager/partner would be available for a one-to-one interview. 2 weeks pass by and she said that the hiring manager decided to promote an employee within the team and that the role was filled. I was actually awestruck! If they were going to promote a member of the team, why would they advertise that role? So, I convinced myself that these are sour grapes. Then a week passes, the recruiter connects with me via email specifically stating to keep in touch over the next few weeks when she anticipated a few roles to open up within the same service line. And she was right! It did open up and this time they wanted a wizard who can play piano like Beethoven, with a background in Quantum physics and must have the tongue of a world traveler. instead of a Consultant/ Associate. Well, not exactly but you get the point. Now, I apply for this role which I still am confident that I am more than qualified for around August 2015. The role is still published on their career website as of today (Jan 29, 2016), it has not been filled and I must have sent the recruiter about 6 or 7 follow-up emails, and called about half a dozen times only to keep hitting her mailbox. I explicitly told her that I would take the role even if I had to take a pay cut, because I'm just passionate about the role and its responsibilities. Currently, I have an offer from a large consulting firm offering me a 20% salary bump and I am evaluating it.

Personally, I feel that the firm no matter how big or minuscule a firm should treat people with respect. No matter how busy you are, it wouldn't hurt to type up an e-mail to shut people (like me) up and let them know that a decision has been made and that you don't qualify for any roles. I applied to other Big consulting companies and almost a week later either received a call/email explaining why they couldn't hire me. Of course, it was just to see if all the Big 4's exhibited the same pattern of disrespect towards potential future employees. I wonder how I would have been treated, had I applied without an employee referral. Probably, not even got a call. Now many of you may comment that initially the recruiter denied me and that told me scram. But, why would one come back and ask me to reply within the following weeks? They advertise that they have a diverse workforce, how will you have diversity in technical know-hows if you don't hire the right people? I do know that I am well suited (if not over-qualified) for the role and am willing to work my rear off. But, most recruiters/hiring managers fail to see past the resume of the candidate.

Conclusion:

I would say that I am completely disappointed at the entire process and the way I've been treated so far. I have lost respect for this particular company and its principals. I thought about this a lot and I don't think I feel that way just because I'm a sore loser. I did get rejected by other Big companies as well, but at least got some closure via an e-mail/call explaining why they didn't pursue me as a candidate. The mere silent treatment for about 6 months (as of today) is according to me not human and definitely not professional. That's my $0.02.

I know this won't make a dent, but at least I got an opportunity to voice my side of the story.

Anything below this is superficial and must not be taken at face value as these are just rumors may or may not be from current/past employees:

1. Females have a better chance at getting a job at Deloitte than male counterparts.
    2. If you have more experience and knowledge than your boss you will never be hired.
        (Easy stalking on LinkedIn should help tone down your resume a notch)
    3. Always make sure that you tell your recruiter that you have other interviews lined up as they will
        never you seriously.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage conflicts within your team?

How do you deal with a difficult client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Deloitte (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact me through LinkedIn for the position. I had one phone interview with a senior manager and three in-person interviews with a principal, director and a manager. The phone interview last about 30 minutes while each of the in-person interviews last between 45 minutes to an hour.

Interview Questions

• The questions were basic with asking about personal life, past jobs and experience. Why did you apply for the job and why do you want this job. Do you feel qualified for the position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte (Charlotte, NC) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through their website and it took 2 weeks. I was first contact by HR asking about my background and salary requirements. Next Phone interview with manager, which was a fairly simple asking about my background and other interests. Last was 1:1 interview with 2 managers, Director and Partner. they mostly asked about my background, current work profile and explained about their work culture and took me for a dinner after the interview.

After whole day of grueling session, I was still not offered the job and they did not clearly tell me the reason for not selecting. I had to follow up with HR multiple times to check the status after my interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest challenges I faced in current work environment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Arlington, VA).

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after I applied a few months back. After a pleasant initial phone call, the recruiter coordinated for me to fly out to the east coast for an in-office interview the following week. I interviewed with four different guys within the practice in sequence. It was pretty casual and more a general discussion about my goals, experience and their needs, than a grilling of any technical variety. Received an offer the following week.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle the shift from a technical to non-technical environment?   Answer Question

As I was going from public to private sector, I felt there needed to be more incentive for me to move coast to coast outside of the consulting experience being offered. Their response will be to tell you to think big picture, but not willing to sweeten the pot... Base salary offer was lowballed, no relocation support, signing bonus or any of the other perks that we in the public sector generally miss out on...and Deloitte can easily offer.

Senior Associate Interview

Interview

First round with senior manager and final round with partner. The questions are based on resume and a lot of why Deloitte and why this function questions. In general very conversational rather than technical based. But some partners like to discuss very detailed technical questions during the interview process

Interview Questions

• How do you lead the team to finish the annual audit of company ABC ahead of schedule?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Deloitte (Boston, MA) in November 2010.

Interview

I had almost the whole afternoon interviewing with 5 people. HR, Director, 2 senior managers, and a partner. It was pretty intense. First I met with HR and she took me to a conference room then one by one I meet the others. The people are very nice and done lots of talking too.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part is you really have to shine yourself at the interview. Don't ever let them do all the talking. Compare your work experience with the job description and take out a few things from your resume and elebroate with the job you applied for. Do your research ahead of time! Sometimes even though you have all the skills that they are looking for but you might not be the great fit for the candidate because they look at how you respond with their questions and whether you will fit with the group. Be confident, show interest, and smile!
      Questions: Why Deloitte? Your work experience..etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

I gave my resume to a guy who worked at Deloitte. He gave my resume to his Partner, who in turn contacted the Recruiter to schedule a telephone interview. The Deloitte recruiter was very pleasant. I had a telephone interview with her, and then I was called in to the Washington office to interview seperately with four individuals - one Sr. Associate, one Manager, one Director, and one Partner. Each interview lasted an hour, and the questions were all focused on my work history and skill set. And they also told me about the position and the client I would be working for. After that I was called in again for another interview with a different another Partner, which went very well. I received an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult interview questions. It was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate a higher salary, but Deloitte said no. I think there is more room for salary negotiation at a higher professional level.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

Very standard interview process for a Big4 firm...2 phone interviews and 3 rounds of in-person interviews, including a case study. The only snag in the process was during the background check and offer process. The 3rd party company that does background checks was not very efficient. I was also recruited by a PPD, but his input was not provided to HR until the last phase of hiring. This lag of information ultimately led to a delay in the offer.

Interview Questions

• The case study was the most difficult, because the interviewer was intentionally being a contrarian. First they give you a general outline of a business case and then they start asking you to develop the scenario. At predetermined intervals, the interviewer will provide additional information about the case study. When the last bit of information is provided, the interviewer is looking for the candidate to put all the pieces together and paint a Deloitte-inspired picture of a business case.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deloitte (McLean, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

Spoke to the recruiter a few times by phone, then had phone interview with a manager. Then went into the office and met with recruiter, then was interviewed by two client service professionals and a security representative. Later had phone interview with partner. HR then contacted me a few days later to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent current event and how our firm would be able to provide value to the situation.   Answer Question